Failure to maintain one lane

Old November 20th 05, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Failure to maintain one lane

I was recently in an accident and I was given a ticket with the label
"failure to maintain one lane."

Is anyone clear on what the rules and regulations are for this kind of
ticket?

After my airbag blows up in my face I can no longer hold on to the
wheel forcing my car to stay in one lane. How can I be ticketed for
such an action?

You may see pictures and a drawn out map of the accident he
http://tigerlou.myphotoalbum.com

Any opinions or suggestions on why I received this ticket when someone
else crossed through three lanes of traffic illegally?

Thank you,
Lynda

Old November 20th 05, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article .com>,
"Lynda" > wrote:

> I was recently in an accident and I was given a ticket with the label
> "failure to maintain one lane."
>
> Is anyone clear on what the rules and regulations are for this kind of
> ticket?
>
> After my airbag blows up in my face I can no longer hold on to the
> wheel forcing my car to stay in one lane. How can I be ticketed for
> such an action?
>
> You may see pictures and a drawn out map of the accident he
> http://tigerlou.myphotoalbum.com
>
> Any opinions or suggestions on why I received this ticket when someone
> else crossed through three lanes of traffic illegally?

What did the cop who issued you the ticket say? If you need
clarification, call the court house that's listed on the ticket to see
if they can discuss your case.
Old November 20th 05, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 19 Nov 2005 18:51:46 -0800, "Lynda" > wrote:

>I was recently in an accident and I was given a ticket with the label
>"failure to maintain one lane."
>
>Is anyone clear on what the rules and regulations are for this kind of
>ticket?
>
>After my airbag blows up in my face I can no longer hold on to the
>wheel forcing my car to stay in one lane. How can I be ticketed for
>such an action?
>
>You may see pictures and a drawn out map of the accident he
>http://tigerlou.myphotoalbum.com
>
>Any opinions or suggestions on why I received this ticket when someone
>else crossed through three lanes of traffic illegally?
>
>Thank you,
>Lynda

Sounds like you are a teenager. Cops seem to think that they must rape teenage
drivers no matter what. From the description you provided, the other car
appears to be totally in the wrong. Get a lawyer and fight this.

DPH

Old November 20th 05, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Lynda, > was motivated to say this in
rec.autos.driving on 19 Nov 2005 18:51:46 -0800:
> I was recently in an accident and I was given a ticket with the label
> "failure to maintain one lane."
>
> Is anyone clear on what the rules and regulations are for this kind of
> ticket?
>
> After my airbag blows up in my face I can no longer hold on to the
> wheel forcing my car to stay in one lane. How can I be ticketed for
> such an action?
>
> You may see pictures and a drawn out map of the accident he
> http://tigerlou.myphotoalbum.com
>
> Any opinions or suggestions on why I received this ticket when someone
> else crossed through three lanes of traffic illegally?

The cop who wrote you up is an idiot? From the pics of the damage, it
appears to me that the other vehicle was going rather fast when he hit
you. I fail to see how you (or me or anyone else) could have maintained
one lane after the impact regardless of the airbag.

I agree with Dave. Get a lawyer and fight this - on both fronts. Fight
the ticket and also go after the guy who hit you.
Old November 20th 05, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Lynda wrote: <brevity snip>

> Any opinions or suggestions on why I received this ticket when someone
> else crossed through three lanes of traffic illegally?
> -----

Not enough info and your map is somewhat lacking. And not enough
photos of your car from the front. There may be no damage but I'd like
to see that.

The good news is, you are OK... but you're about to get a lesson in
civil law that you are not going to enjoy.
-----

- gpsman

Old November 20th 05, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"gpsman" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Lynda wrote: <brevity snip>
>
>> Any opinions or suggestions on why I received this ticket when someone
>> else crossed through three lanes of traffic illegally?
>> -----

> Not enough info and your map is somewhat lacking. And not enough
> photos of your car from the front. There may be no damage but I'd like
> to see that.
>
> The good news is, you are OK... but you're about to get a lesson in
> civil law that you are not going to enjoy.
> -----
>
> - gpsman

I have to agree. One point you missed (or I missed) is you did not get a
picture of the speed limit. It looks like the other car should have been
ticketed for failing to yield. If you got a ticket for failure to maintain
lane control then the officer was just plain stupid. Get legal help fast. If
not you'll pay for along time in insurance rates.

This is a good lesson on defensive driving. When you see a line of cars
stopped and there's a space between the vehicles you need to keep your eyes
moving. The same type of situation happened to me but without incident. I
was traveling in the left lane of a four lane city street. The car in the
right lane stopped a good 100 yards from the intersection. There was no
parking along the road so a caution feeling came over me. I slowed way down
and sure enough this car had stopped to let a pedestrian cross even thou
there was no type of crosswalk. I don't know if I would have hit this person
or not but it got me thinking.

Old November 20th 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article .com>,

> What did the cop who issued you the ticket say? If you need
> clarification, call the court house that's listed on the ticket to see
> if they can discuss your case.

The police officer said that I was at fault because I failed to
maintain one lane and then handed me the ticket. He was already writing
up the ticket before he even got to ask me my side of the story.

Thank you for the advice. This is the first time I have ever had to
dispute anything so I wasn't aware that I could go to the courthouse
and discuss it with them. I'll call on Monday.

Thank you,
Lynda

Old November 20th 05, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

I'm about to be 21 the other woman in the car with me turned 22 two
weeks ago. So we're both legal adult drivers. However the other car was
filled with a man, his wife, and their two children. So I see your
point.

I will be disputing it.

Thank you for the advice,
Lynda

Old November 20th 05, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Could you tell me how I could make a better map? With that information
I will re-draw one it should make my care stronger.

Also, I have twenty photos of my vehicle but they all have a clear view
of my license plate number and I did not want that information posted
online. I would have re-loaded them to the website after editing out my
license # but I have dial up and it wasn't worth the hassle.

If you would like I can email you a picture of the front of my vehicle
with the blotted out license #. So you can have a clearer view of the
damage to my vehicle.

Thank you,
Lynda

Old November 20th 05, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

This street is a very well known one. The speed limit is fifty and I
was going about 25 because the traffic was extremely heavy there was no
way to go fast.

Unfortunatly there is no way for me to see if there is a space between
the cars. There are three lanes of bumper to bumper traffic at a red
light. The third lane did not have as many cars and I was already
breaking on my way up to the stop light -- which is the main reason why
no one was seriously injured.

In all honesty I saw the nose of their vehicle peak out and I honked on
my horn while slamming on my breaks. Instead of them stopping they
speed up and that is how I hit the tail end of their car. I do believe
that I'll win the accident case because they were not yielding. My main
concern is about the ticket.

I see the situation you were in and I have done that many times before.
You already knew that the other lanes were stopping for some reason so
you do the same. The problem with my case was that there were about
twenty cars already lined up at the red light. My assumption (which is
accurate) is that they are stopped because of the red light. There was
no way for me to know that they had a small gap in between them to let
a car go by. Glad you were able to avoid an accident though, hitting a
pedistrian would have been a horrible experience.

Thank you for the advice,
Lynda