1998 3.3L Grand Voyager engine noise

Old July 10th 05, 12:05 AM
Nunya Bizness

Default 1998 3.3L Grand Voyager engine noise

The noise is best described as clattering, similar to a diesel. I only hear
it at low engine speeds, under 3000rpm, and not when the engine is cold. I
always felt it was valve-train related. It is not the A/C comp, nor belt
tensioner. Gas mileage has been consistently 17 mpg. city commuting and
performance seems fine. I have rebuilt several engines over the last 30
years but I am most comfortable with the conventional V8's of the 60-70's. I
am wondering if there is a "known" defect or TSB or any pointers the group
can provide before I committ myself ( to the engine or treatment ) ?!!!

Old July 10th 05, 12:21 AM
maxpower

"Nunya Bizness" > wrote in message
> The noise is best described as clattering, similar to a diesel. I only

hear
> it at low engine speeds, under 3000rpm, and not when the engine is cold. I
> always felt it was valve-train related. It is not the A/C comp, nor belt
> tensioner. Gas mileage has been consistently 17 mpg. city commuting and
> performance seems fine. I have rebuilt several engines over the last 30
> years but I am most comfortable with the conventional V8's of the 60-70's.

> am wondering if there is a "known" defect or TSB or any pointers the group
> can provide before I committ myself ( to the engine or treatment ) ?!!!

What you are probably hearing is the Generator. Assuming you already made
sure the water pump is ok.
Have the belt removed to see if the noise goes away, at least that will
isolate the engine from water pump and generator.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 10th 05, 03:18 PM
ncs

It could a stretched timing chain. I had the same kind of noise on my 93
3.3, when I got in there, the chain was pretty loose. Once I changed it the
noise went away. It may not be your problem, but it's something to
consider. Mine would make noise after the engine warmed up, so I wouldn't
hear it when it was cold either.

nick

Old July 11th 05, 02:21 AM
Nunya Bizness

I did remove the serpentine belt and run it briefly, hoping to blame the
alternator, water pump, or idler----no such luck. The clattering remained.
The timing chain could be an option? Not sure how that would sound if it was
loose. I will try to check for that by noting freeplay between camshaft and
crank when torquing one direction , then the other, with a wrench. I have
jumped into dissembly and have the intake manifold off( and half a
truck-load of peripherals that complicated the task), hoping to evaluate the
camshaft/lifters. Imagine my extreme surprise and utter DISGUST to instead
discover that I can barely see a cam lobe and cannot access a lifter!! I
have been inventing new cuss words as I compare this 3.3 liter garbage to a
"conventional" V-8. I will savor working on iron 340's, 383's, and 440's
like never before!! Does anybody know of a link to TSB's for this wreck?
Thanks for your time and suggestions, it is a brotherhood.