Is dealer pulling a fast one?

Old October 2nd 04, 07:17 AM
mjc

Default Is dealer pulling a fast one?

To all:
2000 328CI, 33,000 miles.
This is a new car for me, for I bought it from a parent 2,000 miles ago (5
months ago, I never get to drive it...too much at work)
It has had EVERY service and factory update (recall fixes) and it was/is not
driven as a road racer.

I take it to a Sacramento BMW Dealer to have the oil changed and a head to
tail "checkup" (the oil service warning light came on, on the dash)
The Dealer called yesterday and:
1. told me the front suspension rubber "donuts" that hold the suspension to
the car are wiped out, need replacing @ $400+
2. told me the rear rotors and pads are wiped out and need replacing @
$400+.
3. Class one service; $380

Questions:
Do rear rotors and pads get "wiped out" in 30,000 miles????
Do front suspension rubber parts disintegrate in 4 years w/ only 33K miles
on them?
Is the dealer padding the work order?

Thank you,
PS: let's do this right...so that responders do not have to scroll down on
EVERY post to see the response, TOP POSTING ON THIS IS OK!!!!!

Old October 2nd 04, 09:14 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
mjc > wrote:
> PS: let's do this right...so that responders do not have to scroll down
> on EVERY post to see the response, TOP POSTING ON THIS IS OK!!!!!

You visit a newsgroup to ask for help but want to change what suits most
on there?

What screen mode are you using if you have to scroll down to read this?

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old October 2nd 04, 12:37 PM
John Carrier

"mjc" > wrote in message
> To all:
> 2000 328CI, 33,000 miles.

SNIP
> The Dealer called yesterday and:
> 1. told me the front suspension rubber "donuts" that hold the suspension
> the car are wiped out, need replacing @ $400+
> 2. told me the rear rotors and pads are wiped out and need replacing @
> $400+.
> 3. Class one service; $380
>
> Questions:
> Do rear rotors and pads get "wiped out" in 30,000 miles????

Usually the fronts go first. 30,000 seems a little early, but it's not
unusually so. Brake wear is very much a function of driving style. Left
foot brakers (who often ride the pedal), and those who drive with less
anticipation for speed reductions (and brake harder and later) all can
experience fairly high brake wear. Auto trans cars usually eat brakes at a
faster pace.

> Do front suspension rubber parts disintegrate in 4 years w/ only 33K miles
> on them?

I find this unusual.

> Is the dealer padding the work order?

Possible, but far less likely than a national chain tire and auto service
store. Try an independent shop if available. OBTW, Service Interval one
for $380 is pretty reasonable.

R / John

Old October 2nd 04, 07:04 PM
mjc

Thank you for your question, but off-topic.
Matt.
-------------------

Old October 2nd 04, 07:07 PM
mjc

John, Thank you for your input.
Not having any experience w/ BMW AUTOS help is appreciated.
I have been riding a BMW (Bikes Made Weird) since 1988 but now I know
another name (Break My Wallet)
Thank you,
Matt.
-----------------------------

-------------------------...

Old October 2nd 04, 07:14 PM
mjc

Dave,
It's like a STANDARD filing system where you put the newest files FIRST in
the folder, in FRONT. That way one does not have to weed through paper after
paper (response after response) to get to the latest info.
Take this response for example, you did not have to do a separate operation
(moving the cursor to the scroll bar to go all the way to the bottom to read
this.
I am sorry, but who ever "set the rules" YEARS ago on this top vs. bottom
posting thing obviously was not a good file keeper. IMHO. Thank you, Matt.
PS: No need to respond for I will probably not see it, it is obvious that
there is something emotional in your response to even bring it up so I will
leave it at that.

--------------------------------

Old October 2nd 04, 07:35 PM
Badger

My 2001 330dSE Auto has just had the front lower arms and doughnut bushes
replaced under warranty at 45,000 miles. The rear discs are original but
I've just bought new front discs and pads to replace shortly as the original
discs are getting a bit thin now. No warping or brake judder, just fair wear
and tear for an auto with a relatively heavy weight engine trying to keep
the momentum going forwards when you want it to slow down.
FWIW, the brake discs and pads (fronts, mind, and they're bigger diameter on
the 3.0litre diesel) were UK£140 total, genuine parts. Don't know the cost
of the bushes etc as that was covered under warranty.
Badger.

Old October 2nd 04, 08:16 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
mjc > wrote:
> It's like a STANDARD filing system where you put the newest files FIRST
> in the folder, in FRONT. That way one does not have to weed through
> paper after paper (response after response) to get to the latest info.

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but it's not a paper medium. So different
'rules' or conventions apply.

> Take this response for example, you did not have to do a separate
> operation (moving the cursor to the scroll bar to go all the way to the
> bottom to read this.

I wouldn't have to anyway on a properly trimmed post.

> I am sorry, but who ever "set the rules" YEARS ago on this top vs.
> bottom posting thing obviously was not a good file keeper. IMHO.

If there is a need to quote material you're responding to it's for others
to read - not yourself. So they'd read it in order...

There you go - a post where you don't have to scroll through at all.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Old October 3rd 04, 02:17 PM
Fred W.

"mjc" > wrote in message

> Questions:
> Do rear rotors and pads get "wiped out" in 30,000 miles????

When were the fronts replaced? The fronts *always* wear out first. I would
not expect that you would need rear brake pads even at 30k miles. The only
reason to replace the rotors this early would be if they were pulsing.
There is no way in the world that you wore out the rear rotors in 30k miles.
Generally speaking the front rotors might wear to thge point of requiring
replacement every 2nd set of pads, which would be 50-60k miles. Rear brakes
and rotors last roughly twice as long as fronts.

> Do front suspension rubber parts disintegrate in 4 years w/ only 33K miles
> on them?

Assuming that you are talking about the control arm bushings, it would be
very unlikely they would go out in only 5 years and/or 33k miles. The
bushings look like they come already pressed into the brackets for around
$100. for the pair. It is about a 15 minute job to replace them.

> Is the dealer padding the work order?

It sure looks like it to me.

-Fred W

Old October 4th 04, 05:50 AM
mjc

UPDATE: 10-3-04
Picked the car up and the service order read as follows; ( ) = my
writing

"...Rotors under min. spec. 17.4mm, now 17.1mm"

MA95 Inspection 1;
hanger, oil filter, oil, wind wash single bot, microfilter, bolt set
$390

MA001 Install mudflaps
N/C (all four)

Key Memory
N/C (reset to my preferences)

MA001 Rear Brakes
Repair Kit Brake Lin
Brake Discs
$403.10 (for both sides)

MA001 Misc Repair
Replace front control arm bushings
Bracket set
Clip
Parts Clean
$466 (for both sides)

All above items include parts and labor

> To all:
> 2000 328CI, 33,000 miles.
> This is a new car for me, for I bought it from a parent 2,000 miles ago (5
> months ago, I never get to drive it...too much at work)
> It has had EVERY service and factory update (recall fixes) and it was/is

not
> driven as a road racer.
>
> I take it to a Sacramento BMW Dealer to have the oil changed and a head

> tail "checkup" (the oil service warning light came on, on the dash)
> The Dealer called yesterday and:
> 1. told me the front suspension rubber "donuts" that hold the suspension

> the car are wiped out, need replacing @ $400+
> 2. told me the rear rotors and pads are wiped out and need replacing @
> $400+.
> 3. Class one service; $380
>
> Questions:
> Do rear rotors and pads get "wiped out" in 30,000 miles????
> Do front suspension rubber parts disintegrate in 4 years w/ only 33K miles
> on them?
> Is the dealer padding the work order?
>
> Thank you,
> PS: let's do this right...so that responders do not have to scroll down on
> EVERY post to see the response, TOP POSTING ON THIS IS OK!!!!!

Main Dealer or Independent Service Richard Goulding Audi 10 November 15th 04 11:25 AM
UK dealer margins? PhilipS Alfa Romeo 2 October 7th 04 08:36 PM
guaranteed fast money richard cornelius Audi 0 August 23rd 04 01:28 AM
Recommend an alfa dealer Steve A Alfa Romeo 2 July 21st 04 12:59 PM
2005 Audi A6 -- anyone seem them at a U.S. dealer yet? Randy S Audi 4 July 15th 04 05:33 PM