audi a4 2.8 lifter noise

Old July 5th 08, 02:17 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
mike_n

Default audi a4 2.8 lifter noise

i have a 97 a4 that recently started to make a loud lifter noise. it
is a bit louder than the 'classic' audi lifter noise and i suspect
that 1 or 2 lifters are stuck. i tried to use a quart of transmission
fluid in the oil to loosen it up. and i have now gone back to 20-50
oil to see if if gets quiet. no luck.
the question is ' how hard is it' to replace the 1or 2 lifters
causing the problem? is it necessary to take out the radiator? any
special tools required? i am pretty mechanical but i do not want to
get into too much trouble.
suggestions please!
Old July 5th 08, 04:39 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

"mike_n" > wrote in message
>i have a 97 a4 that recently started to make a loud lifter noise. it
> is a bit louder than the 'classic' audi lifter noise and i suspect
> that 1 or 2 lifters are stuck. i tried to use a quart of transmission
> fluid in the oil to loosen it up. and i have now gone back to 20-50
> oil to see if if gets quiet. no luck.
> the question is ' how hard is it' to replace the 1or 2 lifters
> causing the problem? is it necessary to take out the radiator? any
> special tools required? i am pretty mechanical but i do not want to
> get into too much trouble.
> suggestions please!

can we ask the mileage of the vehicle...

Old July 5th 08, 08:56 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

"tpow" > wrote in message

> "mike_n" > wrote in message
>>i have a 97 a4 that recently started to make a loud lifter noise. it
>> is a bit louder than the 'classic' audi lifter noise and i suspect
>> that 1 or 2 lifters are stuck. i tried to use a quart of transmission
>> fluid in the oil to loosen it up. and i have now gone back to 20-50
>> oil to see if if gets quiet. no luck.
>> the question is ' how hard is it' to replace the 1or 2 lifters
>> causing the problem? is it necessary to take out the radiator? any
>> special tools required? i am pretty mechanical but i do not want to
>> get into too much trouble.
>> suggestions please!
>>

> can we ask the mileage of the vehicle...

I will assume that you might have to not only remove the V6 timing belt but
also the valve covers and the camshafts.
You can probably locate the bad lifters by only removing the valve covers
and testing the lifters by pressing them down.
Also check for any oil sludge building up or weak oil pressure before you
dive into the engine.

Have you been using Synthetic oil? Or what brand and weight oil have you
been using?
Which oil filter too?
Does the ticking ever go away?
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old July 5th 08, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
mike_n

On Jul 5, 3:56*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> "tpow" > wrote in message

> > "mike_n" > wrote in message
> >>i have a 97 a4 that recently started to make a loud lifter noise. *it
> >> is a bit louder than the 'classic' audi lifter noise and i suspect
> >> that 1 or 2 lifters are stuck. *i tried to use a quart of transmission
> >> fluid in the oil to loosen it up. and i have now gone back to 20-50
> >> oil to see if if gets quiet. no luck.
> >> the question is ' how hard is it' to replace the 1or 2 lifters
> >> causing the problem? *is it necessary to take out the radiator? any
> >> special tools required? *i am pretty mechanical but i do not want to
> >> get into too much trouble.
> >> suggestions please!

> > can we ask the mileage of the vehicle...

> I will assume that you might have to not only remove the V6 timing belt but
> also the valve covers and the camshafts.
> You can probably locate the bad lifters by only removing the valve covers
> and testing the lifters by pressing them down.
> Also check for any oil sludge building up or weak oil pressure before you
> dive into the engine.
>
> Have you been using Synthetic oil? *Or what brand and weight oil have you
> been using?
> Which oil filter too?
> Does the ticking ever go away?
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)
> 1997 Red A4 1.8tq auto- Hide quoted text -

I was using 10-30 organic oil until the tick started. the filters
recently have been purolator ( cheap). i admit i did not change it
as often as suggested - maybe every 8k - 10k, the mileage is 120k.
the ticking does not go away - it's frequency at idle seems to
indicate it is one lifter that seems to be stuck.

i would also think that i will have to remove the cam. have you done
this? any special tools required? any tips?
Old July 6th 08, 12:12 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

No I have not done any engine work to the V6 engines except replacing oil
pans. <g>
Did you notice any sludge building up in the engine?

There are some products, if you choose to use them, that might quiet down
that lifter. CD2 makes one that I have used with some success on some VW
engines. http://www.autobarn.net/ch4111-12.html but sold at local stores
too.
You can do a search on google.com and see about this product.

This is what I would prescribe:
Instead of pulling things apart............first try an oil change using a
good filter like a MANN oil filter and the CD2 oil detergent.
Yes you can use some good organic oil like Valvoline or Castrol 5W-30 oil
for this first application.
After this fresh oil try idling the engine at different RPMs to lessen that
noise of the ticking. Hopefully you will find that the noise lessens right
around 1200-1600 rpms. Hold it there and sometimes rev it a little higher
returning it to about 1200-1600 or the sweet spot. Kind of like lightly
gunning the engine
It might just start to sound better and better..............fingers crossed.
;-)

THEN when it quiets down, just drive normally and change the oil at about
3,000 miles or sooner with the organic oil.
I vote if you want to extend the oil change interval use synthetic oil such
as Mobil 1 or one of the VW approved brands like Elf or Pentosin. Don't ask
me how long I extend the oil change intervals too with my personal rides.
;-)

This will sure beat the $$$$s you would spend otherwise if it works.
Fingers crossed for you and let us know if it works out!
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old July 6th 08, 01:22 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
mike_n

On Jul 5, 7:12*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> No I have not done any engine work to the V6 engines except replacing oil
> pans. *<g>
> Did you notice any sludge building up in the engine?
>
> There are some products, if you choose to use them, that might quiet down
> that lifter. *CD2 makes one that I have used with some success on some VW
> engines. *http://www.autobarn.net/ch4111-12.htmlbut sold at local stores
> too.
> You can do a search on google.com and see about this product.
>
> This is what I would prescribe:
> Instead of pulling things apart............first try an oil change using a
> good filter like a MANN oil filter and the CD2 oil detergent.
> Yes you can use some good organic oil like Valvoline or Castrol 5W-30 oil
> for this first application.
> After this fresh oil try idling the engine at different RPMs to lessen that
> noise of the ticking. *Hopefully you will find that the noise lessens right
> around 1200-1600 rpms. *Hold it there and sometimes rev it a little higher
> returning it to about 1200-1600 or the sweet spot. *Kind of like lightly
> gunning the engine
> It might just start to sound better and better..............fingers crossed.
> ;-)
>
> THEN when it quiets down, just drive normally and change the oil at about
> 3,000 miles or sooner with the organic oil.
> I vote if you want to extend the oil change interval use synthetic oil such
> as Mobil 1 or one of the VW approved brands like Elf or Pentosin. *Don't ask
> me how long I extend the oil change intervals too with my personal rides.
> ;-)
>
> This will sure beat the $$$$s you would spend otherwise if it works.
> Fingers crossed for you and let us know if it works out!
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)
> 1997 Red A4 1.8tq auto
>
> "mike_n" > wrote in message news:b6a892c6-c6de-4f0d-8ab8-
>
> I was using 10-30 organic oil until the tick started. *the filters
> recently have been purolator ( cheap). * i admit i did not change it
> as often as suggested - maybe every 8k - 10k, *the mileage is 120k.
> the ticking does not go away - it's frequency at idle seems to
> indicate it is one lifter that seems to be stuck.
>
> i would also think that i will have to remove the cam. have you done
> this? *any special tools required? any tips?

thanks for the tips - i will let you know how it works out
Old July 6th 08, 02:20 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Daniels

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 14:56:10 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled mike_n >, to say:

> I was using 10-30 organic oil until the tick started. the filters
> recently have been purolator ( cheap). i admit i did not change it
> as often as suggested - maybe every 8k - 10k, the mileage is 120k.

Humm.

> the ticking does not go away - it's frequency at idle seems to
> indicate it is one lifter that seems to be stuck.

Does it run well otherwise? I'd be tempted to live with it.
--

"The ABS system can not overcome the laws of physics."

Audi Owner's Manual
Old July 6th 08, 12:48 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
anish[_2_]

have u been usin synthetic oil or organic oil ?

--
anish
anish's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=4807

Old July 6th 08, 01:36 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Snow Rocket

Is the CD2 cleaner similar to Auto-RX?

--
Snow Rocket
Snow Rocket's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=2730

Old July 7th 08, 05:25 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
ADdiy55

On Jul 4, 6:17*pm, mike_n > wrote:
> i have a 97 a4 that recently started to make a loud lifter noise. *it
> is a bit louder than the 'classic' audi lifter noise and i suspect
> that 1 or 2 lifters are stuck. *i tried to use a quart of transmission
> fluid in the oil to loosen it up. and i have now gone back to 20-50
> oil to see if if gets quiet. no luck.
> *the question is ' how hard is it' to replace the 1or 2 lifters
> causing the problem? *is it necessary to take out the radiator? any
> special tools required? *i am pretty mechanical but i do not want to
> get into too much trouble.
> suggestions please!

Hey Mike,

I had a similar problem with my 98 A4 and I subscribed to
ALLDATAdiy.com and it has been very useful. I am handy and like to do
things myself and this subscription gives me diagnosis, repair, TBSs,
recalls and labor times.

Check it out - I copied the link below for you.

http://traffic.alldatadiy.com/cgi-bi...0-o4010-c66365

Andy Deil