1999 Audi A6 Quattro

Old May 12th 08, 02:49 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
maybenot

Default 1999 Audi A6 Quattro

If the alternator is lit from the console, does this means my
alternator is dead?
I can still start the car but I believe it will not take long and the
battery will be drain eventually. What does it takes to replace the
alternator? Do I have to remove the front end or it can be replaced
from underneath? TIA.

Old May 12th 08, 06:34 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Angel D

your Alternator is going, you are running off your battery only. like
you said, your battery will die if you use all your accessories. try to
limit your accessory use so that you can last a little longer on your
battery life, but you will have to replace your alternator as soon as
possible. if you don't know how to replace it yourself, have a pro to
do it for you.
ACC meaning like your stereo, heater blower, head lights/high beams,
heating seats if any ... anything that drains your power faster.

In article <qmNVj.15787$5b3.7567@trnddc05>, maybenot

Old May 12th 08, 03:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
maybenot

"Angel D" > wrote in message
.. .
> your Alternator is going, you are running off your battery only.
> like
> you said, your battery will die if you use all your accessories. try
> limit your accessory use so that you can last a little longer on
> your
> battery life, but you will have to replace your alternator as soon
> as
> possible. if you don't know how to replace it yourself, have a pro
> do it for you.
> ACC meaning like your stereo, heater blower, head lights/high beams,
> heating seats if any ... anything that drains your power faster.

Thanks for the input. Would you know if replacing the alternator I
have to remove the front end or it can be done underneath?

Old May 12th 08, 08:20 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:00:10 GMT, "maybenot" >
wrote:

>Thanks for the input. Would you know if replacing the alternator I
>have to remove the front end or it can be done underneath?

My repair manual says, you have to remove one of the belts and for
that the Front end has to be moved into 'Service position'.

No matter if it's the 4 or 6 cylinder engine, both for Petrol and
Diesel (you didn't say what your engine is).

I have no idea if there's a 'not by the book' method to change the
Alternator from below.

Regards

Wolfgang
Old May 12th 08, 10:13 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
maybenot

"Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:00:10 GMT, "maybenot" >
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the input. Would you know if replacing the alternator I
>>have to remove the front end or it can be done underneath?

> My repair manual says, you have to remove one of the belts and for
> that the Front end has to be moved into 'Service position'.
>
> No matter if it's the 4 or 6 cylinder engine, both for Petrol and
> Diesel (you didn't say what your engine is).
>
> I have no idea if there's a 'not by the book' method to change the
> Alternator from below.
>
> Regards
>
> Wolfgang

Ah, that confirms my suspicion. Today, I actually look underneath and
it seems to be impossible to do the job from there. Arrrrgh, this
will be an expensive repair. Thanks Wolf!

Old May 13th 08, 06:33 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

"maybenot" > wrote in message
> "Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:00:10 GMT, "maybenot" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the input. Would you know if replacing the alternator I
>>>have to remove the front end or it can be done underneath?

>> My repair manual says, you have to remove one of the belts and for
>> that the Front end has to be moved into 'Service position'.
>>
>> No matter if it's the 4 or 6 cylinder engine, both for Petrol and
>> Diesel (you didn't say what your engine is).
>>
>> I have no idea if there's a 'not by the book' method to change the
>> Alternator from below.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Wolfgang

> Ah, that confirms my suspicion. Today, I actually look underneath and it
> seems to be impossible to do the job from there. Arrrrgh, this

yes, if VAG do it.

Not so much, a good 3rd party.

Old May 13th 08, 11:19 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
maybenot

"tpow" > wrote in message
news

> "maybenot" > wrote in message
>> "Wolfgang Pawlinetz" > wrote in message

>>> My repair manual says, you have to remove one of the belts and for
>>> that the Front end has to be moved into 'Service position'.
>>>
>>> No matter if it's the 4 or 6 cylinder engine, both for Petrol and
>>> Diesel (you didn't say what your engine is).
>>>
>>> I have no idea if there's a 'not by the book' method to change the
>>> Alternator from below.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Wolfgang

>> Ah, that confirms my suspicion. Today, I actually look underneath
>> and it seems to be impossible to do the job from there. Arrrrgh,
>> this

> yes, if VAG do it.
>
> Not so much, a good 3rd party.
>> will be an expensive repair. Thanks Wolf!

Yes, I have it fixed by a third party shop now the problem is I get an
engine check light and the car is sputtering @1.5 rpm. The mechanic
told me since he disconnected the battery the onboard computer is not
sync and needs to be brought to a dealer to clear the throttle speed
memory. He have an instrument that shows the error code, it shows
P1545. However, he have no way of fixing the error as he is limited
to such tools and advice me to bring it to a dealer. Is there a way
to clear the code on my own?

Old May 14th 08, 01:32 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

maybenot wrote:
> "tpow" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "maybenot" > wrote in message

>>> Ah, that confirms my suspicion. Today, I actually look underneath
>>> and it seems to be impossible to do the job from there. Arrrrgh, this

>> yes, if VAG do it.
>>
>> Not so much, a good 3rd party.
>>> will be an expensive repair. Thanks Wolf!

> Yes, I have it fixed by a third party shop now the problem is I get an
> engine check light and the car is sputtering @1.5 rpm. The mechanic
> told me since he disconnected the battery the onboard computer is not
> sync and needs to be brought to a dealer to clear the throttle speed
> memory. He have an instrument that shows the error code, it shows
> P1545. However, he have no way of fixing the error as he is limited
> to such tools and advice me to bring it to a dealer. Is there a way
> to clear the code on my own?

Google shows:
01545 01545.Rl parking aid sender-G203

Looks to me like a sensor was bumped, broken or not plugged back in after the alternator was replaced.
Old May 14th 08, 07:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
maybenot

"TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in message
. ..

> maybenot wrote:
>> "tpow" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> "maybenot" > wrote in message

>>> yes, if VAG do it.
>>>
>>> Not so much, a good 3rd party.
>>>

>> Yes, I have it fixed by a third party shop now the problem is I get
>> an engine check light and the car is sputtering @1.5 rpm. The
>> mechanic told me since he disconnected the battery the onboard
>> computer is not sync and needs to be brought to a dealer to clear
>> the throttle speed memory. He have an instrument that shows the
>> error code, it shows P1545. However, he have no way of fixing the
>> error as he is limited to such tools and advice me to bring it to a
>> dealer. Is there a way to clear the code on my own?

> Google shows:
> 01545 01545.Rl parking aid sender-G203
>
> Looks to me like a sensor was bumped, broken or not plugged back in
> after the alternator was replaced.

Update:
Not much choice I brought it to the dealer and have them run TBA.
Damage was $123.00, Arghh!! It seems to make sense to invest in
VAG-COM, I believe it can do the deed according to what I've read in
their site.

AUDI TT QUATTRO Gerky Gatzos Audi 5 July 23rd 07 05:55 PM
1999 Audi A6 Quattro Check Engine Light [email protected] Audi 4 November 30th 05 11:25 AM
Audi A4 2.5 TDi Quattro Jim Audi 0 October 20th 05 09:37 AM
'99 Audi A6 Quattro tracycoach Audi 5 July 6th 05 09:49 AM
Audi Quattro at Deutschland Rally and Audi in LMES photos maggy p Audi 0 August 24th 04 03:27 PM