Audi A6 2000 engine won'e start!

Old April 21st 08, 02:34 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default Audi A6 2000 engine won'e start!

Bought a 2000 Audi A6 two days ago, with 70,000 miles on it. The car
was running great till a few hours back when I parked it and got out
of the car. I saw a parking spot closer to my apartment so decided to
refused to start!! It was working fine 5 minutes ago, and now its not
starting at all. The engine is not even trying to start. There is a
yellow check light on the display with something which looks like a
engine with a slash across it. I have no clue what to do. I have 3
month dealer warranty, would the repair cost be covered by it or would
this be something major?

Are there any buttons/switches in the inside which I could have
pressed to stop the engine from starting??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old April 21st 08, 03:30 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

You didn't do anything wrong. There is an error in some component that
the CEL (check engine light) is indicating. You need an OBD2 interface
and computer of device to pull the actual code of the failure to know
where to start.

Its not clear from your description if the engine is turning over but
the engine is failing to start or if the engine is not even turning
over. If the latter, you may just have a battery failure due to an
internal short and it may start after a few hours or the next day. If
the latter, it will happen again and again ... until you get a new
battery. Dealer might cover it.

The problem, minor or major, should be covered by the dealer warranty.
You should call them to see if they will pay towing also. If it is a
quattro DO NOT allow it to be towed like a regular car. It must be
loaded on a flat bed trailer to transport. Towing on a dolly can be
extremely expensive and probably ruin the car.

One thing that you might try is to disconnect the battery for a minute
to reset the system. Do no t do this unless you know for sure that you
have the radio reset code in the owners manual. It is unique to each
individual radio and car.

Old April 21st 08, 06:52 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

> wrote in message
> Bought a 2000 Audi A6 two days ago, with 70,000 miles on it. The car
> was running great till a few hours back when I parked it and got out
> of the car. I saw a parking spot closer to my apartment so decided to
> refused to start!! It was working fine 5 minutes ago, and now its not
> starting at all. The engine is not even trying to start. There is a
> yellow check light on the display with something which looks like a
> engine with a slash across it. I have no clue what to do. I have 3
> month dealer warranty, would the repair cost be covered by it or would
> this be something major?
>
> Are there any buttons/switches in the inside which I could have
> pressed to stop the engine from starting??
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I think the first thing would be to contact the seller..............let them
sort it out.

Don't change anything yourself, don't spend more money, its their problem.

Old April 21st 08, 06:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

"Dave LaCourse" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:34:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>>Are there any buttons/switches in the inside which I could have
>>pressed to stop the engine from starting??
>>

> No.
>
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

> When you try to start the engine, does the starter motor sound normal,
> or is it more of a high pitched sound like it is not encountering any
> resistance? If the latter, you have dropped (broken) a timing belt.
> I have heard of them breaking as the engine is shut off. If they
> break while the engine is running, the pistons will eat all the
> valves.
>
> If you have a good warranty, this repair should be the responsibility
> of whomever sold you the car. If valves are broken, it can be
> expensive. (Been there with a '94 S4 that ate all 20 sodium filled
> valves, plus a bent cam shaft when I encountered a big deer one lonely
> night!)
>
> Good luck.
>
> Dave

My 97 A4 V6 has an inherent problem that I have lived with for a few years.

If I start the engine from cold and then switch it off almost immediately it
just will not start unless,

1. I disconnect the battery for a minute or so.
2. I keep winding and winding while pumping the throttle. It will
eventually, 3, 4, 5 minutes start to fire and pick up.

While doing 2 the engine sounds like there is no compression and to be
honest it sounds like its not turning over at all............but it must be.

I strongly believe its one of the numerous sensors in the system that
requires replacing but knowing any dealership they will change the wrong
ones first so as to get as much dosh out me before they change the culprit.
So much for the OBD system for finding the fault.

I had the timing belt and all other goodies changed out 20K back.

dj

Old April 21st 08, 06:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave LaCourse

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:28:37 +0100, "tpow" >
wrote:

>While doing 2 the engine sounds like there is no compression and to be
>honest it sounds like its not turning over at all..

Bad bendix gear?

Old April 21st 08, 07:14 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

Dave LaCourse wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:28:37 +0100, "tpow" >
> wrote:
>

>> While doing 2 the engine sounds like there is no compression and to be
>> honest it sounds like its not turning over at all..
>>

> Bad bendix gear?

If it is turning over it might be a bad coolant temperature sensor.
Maybe leaking injectors?
Old April 22nd 08, 04:02 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I listened to a V6 engine that did not start. It sounded like it had no
compression similar to breaking a timing belt.

The owner was told by the dealer that the engine was flooded.
So I agree about maybe changing that coolant sensor.
Maybe spark plugs also!

Old April 22nd 08, 06:01 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
tpow

"TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in message

> Dave LaCourse wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:28:37 +0100, "tpow" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> While doing 2 the engine sounds like there is no compression and to be
>>> honest it sounds like its not turning over at all..
>>>

>> Bad bendix gear?
>>

> If it is turning over it might be a bad coolant temperature sensor. Maybe
> leaking injectors?

Tony, do you know where it is located and what it looks like so I can change
it myself.

and dave AKA conclusion just might be right.

dj

Old April 22nd 08, 07:41 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

tpow wrote:
> "TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in message
>
>> Dave LaCourse wrote:

>>> Bad bendix gear?
>>>

>> If it is turning over it might be a bad coolant temperature sensor. Maybe
>> leaking injectors?
>>

> Tony, do you know where it is located and what it looks like so I can change
> it myself.
>
> and dave AKA conclusion just might be right.
>
> dj

I am not sure on the V6. but you could visit www.audiworld.com and
search the archives for your year and model. You will probably be able
to find DIY threads and may also have pictures.

89 Audi 100 - No Start, Battery OK, What next? Stephen Clark[_2_] Audi 45 June 3rd 07 11:07 PM
2000 Ford Windstar - engine clatter during cold start Vito[_1_] Technology 4 September 12th 06 03:29 AM
Audi 1.9 TDI (90BHP) won't start without use of Easy Start spray [email protected] Audi 6 May 17th 06 11:20 AM
Audi 100 no start Flipflup Audi 7 March 22nd 05 11:47 AM
Can't start Audi A6 kodrik Audi 19 January 14th 05 11:54 AM