2005 A6 vs. 2002 S8 vs. 2003 A8 ?? Opinions

Old July 5th 04, 11:44 PM
Viper

Default 2005 A6 vs. 2002 S8 vs. 2003 A8 ?? Opinions

All three of these seem to be about the same price, assuming the 4.2 V-8 in
each application, and not the L on the A8.

Which of these three would you prefer to own, and why?

I'm currently bidding on an S8 on Ebay, to replace my S Class Mercedes, but
I notice I could have a year newer A8, or a 2005 A6, all for about the same
price.

Old July 6th 04, 06:37 PM
Mike Smith

Viper wrote:

> All three of these seem to be about the same price, assuming the 4.2 V-8 in
> each application, and not the L on the A8.
>
> Which of these three would you prefer to own, and why?

If I didn't have to care about reality? I'd take the S8, 'cuz it looked
so cool in _Ronin_. ;-)

In the real world? I'd take an '05 A6 w/3.1 (they call it a 3.2).

--
Mike Smith
Old July 7th 04, 03:43 AM
Viper

"Mike Smith" > wrote in message
> Viper wrote:
>
> > All three of these seem to be about the same price, assuming the 4.2 V-8

in
> > each application, and not the L on the A8.
> >
> > Which of these three would you prefer to own, and why?

> If I didn't have to care about reality? I'd take the S8, 'cuz it looked
> so cool in _Ronin_. ;-)
>
> In the real world? I'd take an '05 A6 w/3.1 (they call it a 3.2).
>
> --
> Mike Smith

Why the new A 6 over the 2002 S8 for roughly the same price.

And I agree about Ronin. I've seen it several times, the last time just to
watch the S8.

Old July 7th 04, 02:59 PM
Mike Smith

Viper wrote:

> "Mike Smith" > wrote in message
>
>>Viper wrote:
>>

>>>All three of these seem to be about the same price, assuming the 4.2 V-8

> in
>
>>>each application, and not the L on the A8.
>>>
>>>Which of these three would you prefer to own, and why?

>>If I didn't have to care about reality? I'd take the S8, 'cuz it looked
>>so cool in _Ronin_. ;-)
>>
>>In the real world? I'd take an '05 A6 w/3.1 (they call it a 3.2).

> Why the new A 6 over the 2002 S8 for roughly the same price.

You said you're looking at an A6 with V8, for the same price - I'd take
the V6, for less money. I never thought I'd say this, but as I get
older I've come to realize that yes, there *is* such a thing as "fast
enough". ;-)

--
Mike Smith
Old July 7th 04, 07:48 PM
Stephen Clark

I have actually seen a couple of new 2005 A6's while test driving an S8 at
the dealer. A few reasons a new A6 4.2 might be desirable over the old S8:

1) Nearly the same horsepower ( 330 vs.. 360 ) and less weight. Also has
chain driven camshafts rather than timing belts. Eliminates or minimizes
expensive maintenance.

2) Vastly improved navigation system, integrated into the MMI in the center
dash. A nice 7" color screen, and DVD-based rather than CD-based. The old S8
nav system is a PITA to use, and it has no screen at all, just arrows in the
auto-check window.

3) And, of course, less mileage! Longer warranty period ( 4yr/50K miles ).
The A6 impresses me as a larger, more luxurious, and better equipped car
than its predecessor, and it even has a larger trunk than the S8. I asked
the Porsche sales manager and the Audi sales manager why anyone would buy
the A8, and they were speechless! The interior design is far superior to the
old A6 or A8/S8. Sport seats are included that are very similar to the S8
sport seats. The CD changer is in the glove compartment rather than the
trunk, and the integrated phone is detachable from the armrest to function
as a portable cell phone.

Gee! I guess I've sold myself.....

--
Stephen Clark
99 Lexus RX300

See my Audi in the Registry at www.audiworld.com!

Old July 7th 04, 10:17 PM
Michael Burman

Stephen Clark wrote:
> the Porsche sales manager and the Audi sales manager why anyone would buy
> the A8, and they were speechless! The interior design is far superior to the
> old A6 or A8/S8. Sport seats are included that are very similar to the S8
> sport seats. The CD changer is in the glove compartment rather than the

You're comparing to old A8 in this case? There isn't any S8 with new A8,
at least not yet. Anyway, if I would choose, I would take the new A8, it
just feels a bit more luxorious than A6. New A6 doesn't appeal me that
much, and A8's interiour is in my opinion looks like it has more quality.

Maybe this is the case also, since comparing the prices, A6 is a lot
better value. So if money means something, I'd go for the new A6.

- Yak
Old July 7th 04, 10:58 PM
Stephen Clark

But the new A8 ( D3 chassis ) is much more expensive.

I was responding to the original question posed by Viper in the subject
line:

"2005 A6 vs. 2002 S8 vs. 2003 A8"

Read the original post by Viper above. We are talking about cars in the same
price range.

Stephen Clark

Old July 8th 04, 06:59 AM
Viper

"Stephen Clark" > wrote in message
> I have actually seen a couple of new 2005 A6's while test driving an S8 at
> the dealer. A few reasons a new A6 4.2 might be desirable over the old S8:
>
> 1) Nearly the same horsepower ( 330 vs.. 360 ) and less weight. Also has
> chain driven camshafts rather than timing belts. Eliminates or minimizes
> expensive maintenance.
>
> 2) Vastly improved navigation system, integrated into the MMI in the

center
> dash. A nice 7" color screen, and DVD-based rather than CD-based. The old

S8
> nav system is a PITA to use, and it has no screen at all, just arrows in

the
> auto-check window.
>
> 3) And, of course, less mileage! Longer warranty period ( 4yr/50K miles ).
> The A6 impresses me as a larger, more luxurious, and better equipped car
> than its predecessor, and it even has a larger trunk than the S8. I asked
> the Porsche sales manager and the Audi sales manager why anyone would buy
> the A8, and they were speechless! The interior design is far superior to

the
> old A6 or A8/S8. Sport seats are included that are very similar to the S8
> sport seats. The CD changer is in the glove compartment rather than the
> trunk, and the integrated phone is detachable from the armrest to function
> as a portable cell phone.
>
> Gee! I guess I've sold myself.....

Thanks very much for this feedback. I'm thinking some of the same things,
but not quite all. I'm not crazy about the nose on the new A6, and I don't
think the photos of the interiors are quite as nice as the split
suede/leather on the S8. And the "panache" of a "supercar" won't be there.

However, I also think that 30 hp is offset by lighter weight, and I like the
idea of the new car warranty.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old July 8th 04, 07:02 AM
Viper

"Michael Burman" > wrote in message
> Stephen Clark wrote:
> > the Porsche sales manager and the Audi sales manager why anyone would

buy
> > the A8, and they were speechless! The interior design is far superior to

the
> > old A6 or A8/S8. Sport seats are included that are very similar to the

S8
> > sport seats. The CD changer is in the glove compartment rather than the

> You're comparing to old A8 in this case? There isn't any S8 with new A8,
> at least not yet. Anyway, if I would choose, I would take the new A8, it
> just feels a bit more luxorious than A6. New A6 doesn't appeal me that
> much, and A8's interiour is in my opinion looks like it has more quality.
>
> Maybe this is the case also, since comparing the prices, A6 is a lot
> better value. So if money means something, I'd go for the new A6.
>
> - Yak

The new A8 seems to only come in the long wheel base, which I don't want.
Have that in my S Class, and would like something a bit better handling.

Also, the price for the new A8 is above what I want to spend, which is why I
was comparing the new A6 to a used S8 or used A8.

But thanks for your thoughts.

Old July 8th 04, 09:54 PM
Michael Burman

Viper wrote:
> The new A8 seems to only come in the long wheel base, which I don't want.
> Have that in my S Class, and would like something a bit better handling.

mm, there's two versions available, at least here. A8 and A8L. But maybe
it's only in Europe?-)

> Also, the price for the new A8 is above what I want to spend, which is why I
> was comparing the new A6 to a used S8 or used A8.

Ah, I thought 2003 A8 was in this case the new model. Then, go for new A6

- Yak