Wal-Mart Auto Tire Scam

Old April 7th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Wal-Mart Auto Tire Scam

I'd like to let people know about a fraudulent automobile tire scam
going
on at Wal-Mart Tire and Lube Express stores.

Wal-Mart has agreements with tire manufacturers such as Goodyear and
Michelin/Uniroyal/Goodrich (same company) to exclusively sell certain
tires
from these manufacturers. These include the Goodyear Viva/Viva II/Viva

Touring, Uniroyal Radial A/S and others. However, the manufacturers DO

NOT provide their normal warranties for these tires. If you search on
these
tire names on the manufacturer's websites, you will find that they
specifically
disclaim warranty coverage for these tires, and say that warranty
coverage is
only available through Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart provides no such disclaimer
in their
advertising, so there is no way to know this without going to the
manufacturer's websites. Customers are led to believe that they are
buying
national-brand tires with a national warranty, when they are not. It
appears
that these manufacturers are simply allowing their names to be used so
they
can sell a high volume of lower-quality tires through Wal-Mart.

However, the problem is much more serious. Wal-Mart still advertises
mileage
and defect warranties for these tires, but in fact, they WILL NOT
provide
copies of warranties to customers, nor are they available in the stores
or by
mail. These warranties apparently DO NOT EXIST. This is a violation
of
Federal Trade Commission regulations under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty
Act,
which requires advertised warranties to be provided to customers or be
available in stores. (See "A Businessperson's Guide To Federal
Warranty Law"
at www.ftc.gov). It is also a violation of federal and state laws for
deceptive sales practices.

I have tried for nearly a year to get a copy of the warranty for some
tires
that I purchased at Wal-Mart, and they will not send it to me. The
Wal-Mart
managers and customer service people seem oblivious to the requirements

of the federal regulations. Even worse, an automotive consumer radio
show on
KKZN radio (760 AM) in Denver has reported that Wal-Mart is not
honoring
these advertised tire mileage warranties. Obviously, if they won't
give you a copy of the warranty, it makes it impossible to enforce it's
terms.

This same sort of scam is going on with various manufacturers of other
products
such as car batteries. For example, Exide batteries will not honor
warranties
for their auto batteries sold through the now-defunct Country General
farm
supply stores.

Michelin/Uniroyal/Goodrich and Goodyear are well aware of this
situation and
disclaim any responsibility. I will not buy any
Michelin/Uniroyal/Goodrich tires or
Goodyear tires so long as this nonsense is going on.

I would suggest that, whenever you buy tires, ask for a copy of a
MANUFACTURER'S warranty in advance, before you buy the tires. Don't
settle for a store warranty or verbal promises. If the warranty has a
list of
tire models that are covered, make sure your model is listed. If you
don't
have something in writing, you've got no warranty.

Old April 8th 06, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

You are dead wrong. Please don't post libelous information about
WalMart.

Treadwear Mileage Warranty
If the tread on a tire wears down to its wear bars before reaching its
warranted mileage, we will issue credit toward a replacement tire on a
prorated basis. For example, if a tire warranted for 40,000 miles wore
out after 20,000 miles, you would receive a credit of half the original
price of that tire toward the current price of a new replacement tire.
Uneven or premature tire wear caused by a vehicle's mechanical problems
is not covered by this warranty.

Guess what Buckwheat...the "we" above is WalMart. If you are too damn
dumb to read the information available before handing over your money I
have no sympathy.

Old April 8th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

That sounds pretty crazy, but I wouldn't put it past them at all.
Wal-mart is sucking the life out of communities all over the world. But
point in fact, this is not a group about wal-mart. Thanks for the heads
up though.

Old April 8th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

So, ummmm, have you filed complaints with the FTC, your AG, and
other relevant agencies? Or do you just lible?
--
"Never forget that everything Hitler did
in Germany was legal." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

oups.com...

Old April 8th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default ANOTHER TROLL

There are SO MANY trolls these days that it's getting to the point that I
can spot a troll in the first few paragraphs..........

Old April 8th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Pop" > wrote in message
> So, ummmm, have you filed complaints with the FTC, your AG, and other
> relevant agencies? Or do you just lible?
> --
> "Never forget that everything Hitler did
> in Germany was legal." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
>
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I'd like to let people know about a fraudulent automobile tire scam
>> going
>> on at Wal-Mart Tire and Lube Express stores.

Right on Pop!

Old April 9th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

seems to me the walwart tire document gives only a treadwear warranty,
says nothing about defects in material/workmanship.
That being said I had no luck when I calimed to the GM dealer that my
affinity model tires are my malibu were a piece of crap.

Old August 23rd 14, 07:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

The warranties are printed on the reverse of every single work order at Walmart. Your accusation is simply libelous.
Old August 23rd 14, 07:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

The warranties are printed on the reverse of every single work order at Walmart. Your accusation is simply libelous.