4x4 newbie. Rude and Intimidating Service

Old March 12th 04, 07:24 AM
Brent Murphy

Hey Foxy, the internet wouldn't be quite the same without us whiners, now
would it?
Because I'm feeling so glum about the situation, maybe it should be some
BLUE cheese?

Old March 12th 04, 08:29 AM
Brent Murphy

The way it works at the dealership in question, is they leave the keys in
the vehicles and allow you to drive the vehicles (once you have gained
pernission) without a salesperson in the vehicle with you. I am serious
about buying a vehicle. I am so serious in fact, I went around the corner
after the incident to a mitsubishi dealership and drove both the 3L petrol
version and the 2800 turbo diesel and now have decided: I am buying the colt
rodeo 2800 turbo diesel Mitsubishi Motors (see link below.... she's a
monsterbaby!)

The dealership (jurie swart www.jurieswart.com) that Pieter works for is one
of the larger second-hand dealerships in Cape Town. I don't think Pieter
has a problem with sales -hence possibly his rudeness: He normally has
people buying a lot faster than I did. But as I said, I'm a first time
buyer -and wanted to make sure what was true and what wasn't (turbo diesel
vs petrol: torque at low rpm, engine reliability, economy etc).

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.za/Images/colt/01.gif

Brent

Old March 12th 04, 10:54 AM
Mike Hall

"Brent Murphy" > wrote in message
> The way it works at the dealership in question, is they leave the keys in
> the vehicles and allow you to drive the vehicles (once you have gained
> pernission) without a salesperson in the vehicle with you. I am serious
> about buying a vehicle. I am so serious in fact, I went around the corner
> after the incident to a mitsubishi dealership and drove both the 3L petrol
> version and the 2800 turbo diesel and now have decided: I am buying the

colt
> rodeo 2800 turbo diesel Mitsubishi Motors (see link below.... she's a
> monsterbaby!)
>
> The dealership (jurie swart www.jurieswart.com) that Pieter works for is

one
> of the larger second-hand dealerships in Cape Town. I don't think Pieter
> has a problem with sales -hence possibly his rudeness: He normally has
> people buying a lot faster than I did. But as I said, I'm a first time
> buyer -and wanted to make sure what was true and what wasn't (turbo diesel
> vs petrol: torque at low rpm, engine reliability, economy etc).
>
> http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.za/Images/colt/01.gif
>
> Brent

You must be special to be able to evaluate engine reliability and economy on
a short test drive.. just so that you don't think that Used Car Salesmen are
the only rude people, go to a shoe store and try on 10 different pairs of
shoes.. don't buy a pair just yet tho.. tell the salesperson that you need
to think on it.. go back the next day and take the same salesperson thru the
process again.. watch the face closely to gauge impatience..

Old March 12th 04, 10:54 AM
Mike Hall

Old March 12th 04, 11:22 AM
Brent Murphy

Mike

As a new buyer to the 4x4 market, it's essential to feel the difference
between a diesel and petrol. It also makes a big difference the size of the
engine, as well as the make - Mitsubishi is much more stable on the road at
higher speed compared to a Nissan for example. Another example is I am
familiar with cars, where 2.4l engine will probably send me to 230km/h. A
turbo-diesel 4x4 of the same capacity engine will get me to 145 km/h max.
This sort of thing you find out by test driving. With regards to the
reliability of the engine, sure I don't get that from the test drive, but
these are questions that I was asking of the salesman- which was probably
also ****ing him off.

You cant compare buying a 4x4 to buying shoes! If you apply your logic, you
should buy the very first house an estate agent shows you. Don't be silly.
The value of the investment and the various options available dictate the
amount of time you take to make a wise choice. Notwithstanding - I don't
think that upon the second time EVER to a car dealership I should be told I
must buy or they wont allow me to test drive. Come on!

Brent

. ..

Old March 12th 04, 11:22 AM
Brent Murphy

[...]

. ..

Old March 12th 04, 12:03 PM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

MY god ppl give the guy a break, who cares if the other dealership place was
crap the main thing was that he got a mitsubishi

Old March 12th 04, 12:03 PM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

Old March 12th 04, 04:25 PM
Matt Mead

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 05:54:55 -0500, "Mike Hall"
> wrote:

>You must be special to be able to evaluate engine reliability and economy on
>a short test drive.. just so that you don't think that Used Car Salesmen are
>the only rude people, go to a shoe store and try on 10 different pairs of
>shoes.. don't buy a pair just yet tho.. tell the salesperson that you need
>to think on it.. go back the next day and take the same salesperson thru the
>process again.. watch the face closely to gauge impatience..

Not a real good comparison. First, shoes don't usually set you back
several thousand dollars. Nothing wrong with taking time to compare
models and making the informed decision that is right for you.
Second, If both are working on commission, the car salesman's payday
for the sale should be much greater, hence he/she should have a little
patience and will likely work harder for the sale.

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4