Run Flat tire question

Old December 19th 04, 05:20 PM
H and A

Default Run Flat tire question

Found a nail in the tread portion on one of my Goodyear Run Flat tires.
Once removed, is this something that can be plugged, without harming the
tire pressure sensor? Any thing special I need to know about repairing the
tire before I remove the nail?

Old December 19th 04, 06:00 PM
Dad

"H and A" > wrote in message
news
> Found a nail in the tread portion on one of my Goodyear Run Flat tires.
> Once removed, is this something that can be plugged, without harming the
> tire pressure sensor? Any thing special I need to know about repairing
> the tire before I remove the nail?

Unless you plan on replacing it very soon plugging it is not the answer. To
continue to use the tire you need to plug and then patch from the inside.
The patch is to contain the air and the plug is to stop the migration of
water and other fine trash from breaking the patch seal. You should not be
able to damage the pressure sensor by plugging the tire, it is about the
size of an old Zippo lighter and attached to the valve stem. The only
warnings I've heard on them being damaged is the use of "Fix-A-Flat" or tire
removal by an incompetent tire repair shop. Dally Tire a Goodyear dealer in
Coldwater Mi. charged $10 to repair a tire, Capitol Tire in Toledo got me
for $56 just to mount one, a Goodyear dealer that will never see me again.
Plus I would like for them to get all of the attention that I paid for by
passing this on to everyone.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old December 19th 04, 06:00 PM
Dad

news

Old December 20th 04, 09:16 AM
C5Guy

Can you really trust a "repaired" tyre, especially at high speed.....

Old December 20th 04, 09:16 AM
C5Guy

Old December 20th 04, 12:26 PM
Dad

Can you, yes, can I, no! A properly repaired tire can run many miles but not
with me in the car at high speeds. For a few hundred dollars it's not even a
consideration. If I have a tire problem on the expressway/carriageway I'll
sacrifice the tire and rim to make it to a safe pull off road/exit. So my
tires will be the tires that are not patched/plugged, no question. There are
two reasons to stop on a expressway/carriageway, you can't go any further,
(stopped engine or stopped traffic), or some policeman wants to risk his
life to give me a ticket.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old December 20th 04, 12:26 PM
Dad

Old December 20th 04, 03:52 PM
C5Guy

I'm with you dad.....i'd rather be sure I'd got a good set of boots when
that dick/drunk/drug/sleeping driver decides to change lanes just as I
approach......cost of 4 tyres versus life....no brainer

Old December 20th 04, 03:52 PM
C5Guy

Old December 21st 04, 03:17 PM
Tom in Missouri

I don't know where or how this became such a popular opinion that a repaired
tire is worthless.

Probably the people who sell tires. $200 for a tire vs. $2 for a plug,
maybe?

I have run both patched and plugged tires at speeds most you who only dream
of and have had no failures and no indication of impending failure by
examining the repair after such use.

I've even plugged and patched race slicks, which according to many is the
supreme no-no. Supposedly, you can't plug a slick because the tread is not
thick enough to hold. However, I have never had one indicate any separation
or pulling out. They have actually performed better than patches as patches
tend to make a large spot wear more than the surrounding tread. As such,
when patching slicks, I never used a full size patch, but always cut the
patch smaller to minimize the wear spot.

The problem many claim is due to the steel belts being broken by the
puncturing object, i.e., nail, screw, etc.

The real problem is steel belts. They are heavy, thus they are more
rotating mass and tend to expand more at high speed than a similar non-steel
cord. This is why John Greenwood was able to race on B.F. Goodrich TAs in
the early '70s even though they were not speed rated.

This is also why Firestone 500 tires blew apart, especially on Corvettes.
The steel belts worked fine at 55 mph but when taken to the 120 mph even a
'75 low horse Corvette was capable of, the belts literally tore out of the
carcass due to the design by Firestone.

Fix a Flat on the other hand, is a problem. It rarely ever flows evenly
around the outside of the tire, instead puddling and creating a heavy spot
that throws the tire out of balance. It is a mess to clean out, and the
fumes are explosive so that removal of the tire can be hazardous.

BMW Recommended Tire Balance mwh BMW 8 November 9th 04 11:17 AM
1999 323i Convertible - Winter Tire Question C.R. Krieger BMW 2 September 28th 04 06:55 PM
Tire pressure must be monitored on new models !!! news BMW 2 September 20th 04 10:24 PM
Proper tire pressure for Firestone Indy 500 FireHawk - 74 Vette Tom in Missouri Corvette 2 August 11th 04 04:21 PM
Proper tire pressure for Firestone Indy 500 FireHawk - 74 Vette - Can anyone read? Tom in Missouri Corvette 0 August 10th 04 05:30 PM