One month for an oil change appointment

Old August 19th 08, 10:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
gw

Default One month for an oil change appointment

Today I phoned my local BMW agent for an oil change on my X 5. I put
less than 5K miles a year, I do an extra oil change (before the
inspection lights come on). The earliest date they could give me in
September 28, that is more than a month away...I realize oil change is
not an urgent repair, but one month is a little long to wait?

What are the experiences of this group?

george

Old August 19th 08, 11:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Alan B. Mac Farlane

I am pushing a 528i 2000 series down the highway ... using synthetic oil of
course.

My factory trained teck has me come in every 5K miles or 6 months which ever
comes first.

Waiting a bit of time is not a problem for you especially since you do not
drive it all that much and you have rather good lubrication the crankcase,
it is one of the reasons why you have such good gas mileage.

Synthetic in the transmission and rear end ... with a BMW puter moving the
cylinders it sets to idle speeds the engine RPM and slips the transmission
out of the drive train at 80 mph if the road conditions allow (down hill).

It is a little more pricy then a standard oil change given the quality of
the products you have to use ... but I think they pay for themselves in
mileage. It is easy for me to get 40 mpg highway. Can't wait for the
infinity gear transmission to come out. BMW leaders on that one as well.

Old August 20th 08, 01:11 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
anoop

On Aug 19, 2:13*pm, gw > wrote:

> I realize oil change is
> not an urgent repair, but one month is a little long to wait?
>
> What are the experiences of this group?

1 month is excessive. I've never had to wait longer than a week
to schedule an appointment for any kind of service. Most often
all it takes is a couple of days, the maximum has been 1 week.

Anoop
Old August 20th 08, 01:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

"gw" > wrote in message
> Today I phoned my local BMW agent for an oil change on my X 5. I put
> less than 5K miles a year, I do an extra oil change (before the
> inspection lights come on). The earliest date they could give me in
> September 28, that is more than a month away...I realize oil change is
> not an urgent repair, but one month is a little long to wait?
>
> What are the experiences of this group?
>
> george

The BMW service interval on a 528 will illuminate between 15-17K depending
on driving (based purely on gasoline consumed). 5 to 7.5K is better and if
you drive as little as you do, BMW recommends every year in any case. A
month's delay on 5K oil is not going to hurt a thing.

R / John

Old August 20th 08, 01:22 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

"Alan B. Mac Farlane" > wrote in message
>I am pushing a 528i 2000 series down the highway ... using synthetic oil of
> course.
>
> My factory trained teck has me come in every 5K miles or 6 months which
> ever
> comes first.
>
> Waiting a bit of time is not a problem for you especially since you do not
> drive it all that much and you have rather good lubrication the crankcase,
> it is one of the reasons why you have such good gas mileage.
>
> Synthetic in the transmission and rear end ... with a BMW puter moving the
> cylinders it sets to idle speeds the engine RPM and slips the transmission
> out of the drive train at 80 mph if the road conditions allow (down hill).
>
> It is a little more pricy then a standard oil change given the quality of
> the products you have to use ... but I think they pay for themselves in
> mileage. It is easy for me to get 40 mpg highway. Can't wait for the
> infinity gear transmission to come out. BMW leaders on that one as well.

An E39 528i that pulls 40mpg is non-existent (unless you count only downhill
runs ... there are some mountain descents that can probably yield 60 mpg),
but enjoy your delusion. The transmission is never out of the drivetrain
unless you put it there, but the coast down capability of the auto trans and
the ECU will do remarkable things and can actually improve upon idle + out
of gear.

R / John

Old August 20th 08, 02:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

gw > wrote:
>Today I phoned my local BMW agent for an oil change on my X 5. I put
>less than 5K miles a year, I do an extra oil change (before the
>inspection lights come on). The earliest date they could give me in
>September 28, that is more than a month away...I realize oil change is
>not an urgent repair, but one month is a little long to wait?

So go buy a filter and some oil. The X5 has enough clearance you can
probably just do it on the curb without even putting it up on ramps.

>What are the experiences of this group?

You can change your own oil in ten minutes flat, and when you do it
yourself you know that the oil and filter really HAVE been changed,
and you don't have to wait for a month for an appointment or pay some
crazy fee. Try it, it's a lot less work than making the appointment
and waiting for the mechanic to get around to it.
--scott
Old August 20th 08, 08:16 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:13:06 -0700 (PDT), gw > wrote:

>Today I phoned my local BMW agent for an oil change on my X 5. I put
>less than 5K miles a year, I do an extra oil change (before the
>inspection lights come on). The earliest date they could give me in
>September 28, that is more than a month away...I realize oil change is
>not an urgent repair, but one month is a little long to wait?
>
>What are the experiences of this group?
>
>george

Why go to BMW?
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old August 20th 08, 08:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
John Carrier > wrote:
> The BMW service interval on a 528 will illuminate between 15-17K
> depending on driving (based purely on gasoline consumed). 5 to 7.5K is
> better

Why is it better? And why half the mileage and not 1/4? Every 1000 miles?

Many have had their oil analyzed at the recommended change time and found
it still fit for further use. I've yet to read of anyone finding it
actually needs changing at half the recommended mileage. And decent oil -
the recommended stuff - is hardly cheap these days.;

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 20th 08, 08:43 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Alan B. Mac Farlane > wrote:
> It is a little more pricy then a standard oil change given the quality of
> the products you have to use ... but I think they pay for themselves in
> mileage. It is easy for me to get 40 mpg highway. Can't wait for the
> infinity gear transmission to come out. BMW leaders on that one as well.

The best I've ever seen on my 528 was 37 when acting as 'tender' car to a
'50 LandRover along a pretty deserted motorway early one Sunday morning at
no more than 50 mph. That was the average for the whole journey. An
instantaneous reading means nothing.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel