lamp replacement with LED?

Old August 23rd 08, 09:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

Default lamp replacement with LED?

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Jeff Strickland > wrote:
>
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Aftermarket HID kits work very well with BMW projector headlights -
>> > I've tried them. And cost more like $150. Of course they may not
>> > conform to local regs.
>> >

>> What's it cost to replace the standard headlamp (H4 or H7 <whichever>)
>> lamp with the HID?

> I've no idea. OEM include self levelling which may or may not be required
> by local regs.

What's the difference in Projector lamps and HID lamps? I thought they were
the same ...

Old August 23rd 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:49:42 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> wrote:
>
>What's the difference in Projector lamps and HID lamps? I thought they were
>the same ...

The difference is in the lamp / lighting mechanism itself (and a not
inconsiderable difference in voltage) HIDs are arc lights. Not all
"projector" lights are HIDs.

I have a 1998 car with small diameter 12V projector headlamps. But
they're incandescents, not HIDs.
--
Dan.
Old August 24th 08, 09:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jeff Strickland > wrote:
> What's the difference in Projector lamps and HID lamps? I thought they
> were the same ...

The 'projector' describes the lens in front of the light source - HID the
type of light source. Neither is dependant on the other.

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 24th 08, 09:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 13:49:42 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:

>"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Jeff Strickland > wrote:

>>> What's it cost to replace the standard headlamp (H4 or H7 <whichever>)
>>> lamp with the HID?

>> I've no idea. OEM include self levelling which may or may not be required
>> by local regs.

>What's the difference in Projector lamps and HID lamps? I thought they were
>the same ...

HID lamps need about 200v to start up but will happily run on 12v - a bit like
fluorescent that needs a starter capacitor - however the light generated can be
likened to a welding arc which is exactly what it is and almost the same as the
old film lights that generated UV to such an intensity that many old movie
stars went blind and got 2nd degree burns through UV radiation (sunburn).

Search lights used in WW2 were also arc lamps so the actual technology isn't new
it just been developed for use in smaller places. I also think the actual
wattage rating of HID lights are only 35W but the light output is brilliant
white (blue tinge) and equivalent to around 100W of incandescent. Do to the
immense light output and the possibility of dazzle to oncoming drivers they must
in nearly every country they are allowed cars have to have self leveling systems
for the lights.

On cars with 4 head lights those that one would think are main beam are only
used to "flash" as it isn't advisable to keep turning the HID units on and off
and they also take about 2 seconds to come on to full brilliance and to self
level.

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK