Driving through one parking space so you are facing out.

Old October 6th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
ChrisCoaster

Default Driving through one parking space so you are facing out.

In THIS type of parking lot: http://parallelcontracting.com/images/MSULOT.jpg

Is it okay/legal to do so where no signs present prohibiting it?

-ChrisCoaster
Old October 6th 11, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 5, 7:47*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
> In THIS type of parking lot:http://parallelcontracting.com/images/MSULOT.jpg
>
> Is it okay/legal to do so where no signs present prohibiting it?
>
> -ChrisCoaster

Answer: Yes, even if there are signs prohibiting it. I've never seen,
nor heard, of such a sign.

Since parking lots are private property there is no "legal" about it.
They can put up any sign they want and other than hassling you for
ignoring it they have no enforcement leg to stand on.

Harry K
Old October 6th 11, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"ChrisCoaster" > wrote in message
> In THIS type of parking lot:
> http://parallelcontracting.com/images/MSULOT.jpg
>
> Is it okay/legal to do so where no signs present prohibiting it?

Legal, yes. Okay, yes. However, not actually a good idea if the parking lot
has a lot of vehicles parking then leaving.

Head-in parking and most drivers will see the backup/reverse lights before
the vehicle pulls out in reverse from the parking space. Pulling through one
space so one is facing out is effectively tail-in parking, risk of a
collision no warning backup/reverse lights before the vehicle leaves the
space.

Old October 6th 11, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
ChrisCoaster

On Oct 6, 12:13*am, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
> wrote:
Pulling through one
> space so one is facing out is effectively tail-in parking, risk of a
> collision no warning backup/reverse lights before the vehicle leaves the
> space.

_____________________
That's an interesting take on the issue - never heard that one before!

Anywho, the reason I bring it up is I see so many people pull into a
space - and STOP - as though there were an invisible wall there, or a
car in the space in front of them. LOL. When I motion them "why don't
you pull through?" even when it's not a crowded lot they just stare at
me as if I'm speaking a foreign language! Actually I could see not
pulling through for a good reason: It's hard to swing or lift open the
large rear hatch on a SUV or Van or large station wagon, so that make
sense not to. But a sedan or a coupe? if your side to side vision is
okay, pull on through!

-ChrisCoaster
Old October 6th 11, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
richard

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 19:47:50 -0700 (PDT), ChrisCoaster wrote:

> In THIS type of parking lot: http://parallelcontracting.com/images/MSULOT.jpg
>
> Is it okay/legal to do so where no signs present prohibiting it?
>
> -ChrisCoaster

Can we say troll bait?
Who else but an ignorant troll would ask such an asenine question?
There are no frickin laws requiring spaces to be marked.
How you park is your damn business.
Old October 6th 11, 11:45 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
ChrisCoaster

On Oct 6, 12:54*am, richard > wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 19:47:50 -0700 (PDT), ChrisCoaster wrote:
> > In THIS type of parking lot:http://parallelcontracting.com/images/MSULOT.jpg

> > Is it okay/legal to do so where no signs present prohibiting it?

> > -ChrisCoaster

> Can we say troll bait?
> Who else but an ignorant troll would ask such an asenine question?
> There are no frickin laws requiring spaces to be marked.
> How you park is your damn business.

___________
You wouldn't know a troll if you looked in a f----ing MIRROR!

Now, the reason I asked this is the sheer number of folks who don't
pull through, even if the lot is nearly empty, and regardless of what
type vehicle they are driving. I wanted to see if those kind of driver
would chime in here and explain their reasons for stopping when the
space in front is clearly empty along with surrounding spaces all
around.

And FYI there ARE lots, just like the pic i linked to, that Do
prohibit pulling through, for whatever the lot owner's reason.

-CC
Old October 6th 11, 02:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sir Ray

Around Long Island there are some municipal lots (mostly at the
village level) that do indeed have "Head-In Parking Only" (or some
equivalent). Since these lots are public, not private, seems the "no
legal about it" does not apply. These are right angled spaces too,
not angled parking which pretty much requires head-in parking.

If not prohibited, in general I will pull thru and park "Head Out" if
I don't plan to load anything heavy or bulky (e.g. lumber, tools,
groceries, etc) in the back.

At a church I regularly attend, the main lot has a few "Head-In
Parking Only" signs, which is a bit bizarre to start with. Anyway I
(and most other drivers) ignore them and park "Head-Out" whenever
possible, since your main concern here when leaving is seeing if
pedestrians (people leaving the church and going to their vehicles,
many with little kids) are crossing your path or not, while other
drivers are moving slowly enough (due to the number of pedestrians)
that seeing your back-up lights or not is not important.
Old October 6th 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 5, 9:13*pm, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr." >
wrote:
> "ChrisCoaster" > wrote in message
>
> ...> In THIS type of parking lot:
> >http://parallelcontracting.com/images/MSULOT.jpg

> > Is it okay/legal to do so where no signs present prohibiting it?

> Legal, yes. Okay, yes. However, not actually a good idea if the parking lot
> has a lot of vehicles parking then leaving.
>
> Head-in parking and most drivers will see the backup/reverse lights before
> the vehicle pulls out in reverse from the parking space. Pulling through one
> space so one is facing out is effectively tail-in parking, risk of a
> collision no warning backup/reverse lights before the vehicle leaves the
> space.

I hope you are joking. Which is safer on pulling out. Relying on
others to notice your back-up light or _being able to see if a vehicle
is coming_?

If you rely on others to stop becuase your back-up light is lit you
must like visiting body shops.

Harry K
Old October 6th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Harry K

On Oct 5, 9:28*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
> On Oct 6, 12:13*am, "Daniel W. Rouse > wrote:
>
> *Pulling through one> space so one is facing out is effectively tail-in parking, risk of a
> > collision no warning backup/reverse lights before the vehicle leaves the
> > space.

> _____________________
> That's an interesting take on the issue - never heard that one before!
>
> Anywho, the reason I bring it up is I see so many people pull into a
> space - and STOP - as though there were an invisible wall there, or a
> car in the space in front of them. LOL. When I motion them "why don't
> you pull through?" even when it's not a crowded lot they just stare at
> me as if I'm speaking a foreign language! *Actually I could see not
> pulling through for a good reason: It's hard to swing or lift open the
> large rear hatch on a SUV or Van or large station wagon, so that make
> sense not to. *But a sedan or a coupe? *if your side to side vision is
> okay, pull on through!
>
> -ChrisCoaster

Same here and I always wonder about it. Of course the other thing I
wonder aobut is people cruising the lot looking for a spot that is two
spaces closer to the door .

Harry K
Old October 6th 11, 04:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-10-06, Harry K > wrote:
> On Oct 5, 7:47*pm, ChrisCoaster > wrote:
>> In THIS type of parking lot:http://parallelcontracting.com/images/MSULOT.jpg
>>
>> Is it okay/legal to do so where no signs present prohibiting it?
>>
>> -ChrisCoaster

> Answer: Yes, even if there are signs prohibiting it. I've never seen,
> nor heard, of such a sign.
>
> Since parking lots are private property there is no "legal" about it.
> They can put up any sign they want and other than hassling you for
> ignoring it they have no enforcement leg to stand on.

They can tell someone he is no longer welcome on the property and
press charges on him for trespassing if he comes back or refuses to
leave. That's about it.