drivetrain question toyota 4x4 pickup 1994

Old November 25th 07, 06:53 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
bohemian

Default drivetrain question toyota 4x4 pickup 1994

Recently bought a used 1994 toyota 5spd 4x4 pickup with manual
hubs... I need either an owners manual or a faq or somebody to tell
me the ins and outs so I don't screw it up!

My assumptions a you stop, put in neutral, go rotate the hubs from
free to locked, then shift from 2hi to 4LO or 4HI, and that reverse
applies when you want to get it back into 2wd. What if you want to
switch from 4HI to 4LO or vice versa.... do you do this on the fly, at
a stop I would asssume, but... hey I never had such a rig!

Any and all advice about the transmission operation and/or pointers to
faq's or online manuals would be most appreciated - there don't
happen to be any on ebay right now.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Old November 25th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
PeterD

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 21:53:45 -0800, bohemian >
wrote:

>Recently bought a used 1994 toyota 5spd 4x4 pickup with manual
>hubs... I need either an owners manual or a faq or somebody to tell
>me the ins and outs so I don't screw it up!
>
>My assumptions a you stop, put in neutral, go rotate the hubs from
>free to locked, then shift from 2hi to 4LO or 4HI, and that reverse
>applies when you want to get it back into 2wd. What if you want to
>switch from 4HI to 4LO or vice versa.... do you do this on the fly, at
>a stop I would asssume, but... hey I never had such a rig!

That process is reasonable. You can leave the front hubs locked while
in 2HI on most vehicles without damage, but your fuel mileage will
suffer.

Also once a month lock the hubs, drive about 5 miles in 2HI, then
unlokc them. This will keep the various parts well lubricated.

Old November 25th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
bohemian

sounds good! thanks!!!

Old November 25th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Medici

On Nov 24, 9:53 pm, bohemian > wrote:
> Recently bought a used 1994 toyota 5spd 4x4 pickup with manual
> hubs... I need either an owners manual or a faq or somebody to tell
> me the ins and outs so I don't screw it up!

Peter:

From the manual for my '86:

To shift between H2 and H4: simply move the front drive control
lever. The
vehicle may be moving at any speed. You need not even depress the
clutch
pedal. If you have trouble shifting, depress or release the
accelerator pedal
momentarily while pushing the front drive control lever.

Never move the front control lever if the wheels are slipping!

To shift from H4 to L4: stop the vehicle or reduce your speed to
below 5 mph.
With your foot off the accelerator, depress the clutch lever and move
the front
drive control lever.

L4: Top speed is limited to 25 mph

H4: Top speed is limited to 50 mph

Based on my own experience, if you can't get out of 4WD (happens to
me
occasionally) put the truck into reverse and back up a few feet.
That
usually releases it.

A friend has a '95 and the 4WD stuff works the same.

That's a great truck! We've driven ours all over Utah and Death
Valley.
Wouldn't own anything else, including the newer Toyotas.

Pete

Old November 26th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
bohemian

Ok... for all you most helpful souls... I did crawl up a couple of
dirt hills in L4 and DID manage NOT to get stuck, but I was being
pretty conservative... I <cringe> WAS alone!

I took a pic of the new (old) rig while turning around:
http://www.snowcrest.net/peterr/pix/94_yota_4x4.jpg

Thanks again for the info, folks
Peter