From the archives...

Old December 23rd 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Default From the archives...

A GPL Christmas
by Joe Shaw

'Twas The Night Before Christmas, And All Through The House,
Not A Creature Was Stirring, 'Cept My PC Mouse.
I Was Surfing The Web, For Setup Advice,
For The Right Lotus Toe-In, I'd Cash In My Wife.

My Line Through The 'Bolica, Was Awfully Poor,
My Top End Pathetic, With Throttle To Floor.
I'd Spent All My Earnings, I'd Made Every Deal,
For A P3 Four Fifty, And A Force Feedback Wheel.

When Out On The Lawn There Arose Such A Clatter,
I Sprang From My Desk To See What Was The Matter.
A Strobe Of White Light, Through The Window Did Flash,
It Looked To My Eye, Like A Giant Clock Smash.

I Threw Open The Sash, And What Should I See,
But A White Bearded Driver, In A Red Ferrari.

He Stomped On The Clutch, And Feathered The Gas,
Then Lifted His Goggles, I Could Tell He Was Fast.
He Pulled Down His Scarf, And Flashed Me A Smile,
And Tossed Me A CD, Labelled "Lo1 File".

"Remember," He Said, "The Ones With The Fame."
And With Eyes To The Sky, He Called Out Their Names.

Now Jimmy, Now Graham, Now Denis, And Jochen,
McLaren, And Pedro, Ginther And Irwin.
"Enter Turns Slowly, And Exit With Speed,
And You'll Get All You Can, From Your Trusty Green Steed."

Then He Shifted To First, And Out Popped The Clutch.
"I'm Off To Zandvoort, And The Grand Prix That's Dutch!"
He Peeled Out In First, With Wheelspin Galore,
Looking For Brabhams, That Still Had A Door.

And I Heard Him Exclaim, With Great Holiday Cheer,
"To All A Good Night, Have a GPL Year!"

Old December 24th 11, 12:14 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

On 24/12/2011 08:09, Andrew MacPherson wrote:
>> A GPL Christmas
>> by Joe Shaw

> Ok, now it's Christmas. :-)

Glad to see some things don't change!

> It should be a happy new sim year too. Plenty of new stuff on the horizon to
> daydream about. Maybe this is finally the year someone comes along to offer some
> serious competition to iRacing. I am *so* ready for a change.

It will do iRacing good not to be centre stage IMHO. They have single
handedly delivered pretty much any developer led race sim releases for
the last three and a half years and it exposes the development cycle of
sims. RF2 was touted for release before Christmas last year and that was
announced just a few months before, somehow another year slips by. It
happens.

> So just think how many Force Feedback posts we can look forward to from Mario. So
> many sims, so many settings to tweak! ;-)

I have this vision of Mario opening a box at Christmas with Fanatec
written on it. After three years of so nearly perfecting G25 settings it
might make his head explode

> Merry Midwinterfest folks. And just in case the Mayans were right (rather than just

You too Andrew and to the few still sheltering in the RAS bunker

Tony R

Old December 24th 11, 04:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mario Petrinovic

Tony R:
>Andrew MacPherson:
>>> A GPL Christmas
>>> by Joe Shaw

>> Ok, now it's Christmas. :-)

> Glad to see some things don't change!
>
>> It should be a happy new sim year too. Plenty of new stuff on the horizon
>> daydream about. Maybe this is finally the year someone comes along to
>> offer some
>> serious competition to iRacing. I am *so* ready for a change.

> It will do iRacing good not to be centre stage IMHO. They have single
> handedly delivered pretty much any developer led race sim releases for the
> last three and a half years and it exposes the development cycle of sims.
> RF2 was touted for release before Christmas last year and that was
> announced just a few months before, somehow another year slips by. It
> happens.

This word construction is too complicated to me, but, if I figured
it out correctly, Papyrus led the bussines since the times of Old Testament,
; ).

>> So just think how many Force Feedback posts we can look forward to from
>> Mario. So many sims, so many settings to tweak! ;-)

> I have this vision of Mario opening a box at Christmas with Fanatec
> written on it. After three years of so nearly perfecting G25 settings it
> might make his head explode

Well, my FFB settings should work on all systems just the same.
BTW, the new Centering Spring that works for me is 107%, : ). I'll
probably complete my work before the New Year (the one that is coming, of
course, : )).

>> Merry Midwinterfest folks. And just in case the Mayans were right (rather
>> than just

> You too Andrew and to the few still sheltering in the RAS bunker

Merry Christmas everybody, : ).

Mario

Old December 25th 11, 11:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Kai Åberg

On 24/12/2011 00:03, Plowboy wrote:
> A GPL Christmas
> by Joe Shaw
>
> 'Twas The Night Before Christmas, And All Through The House,
> Not A Creature Was Stirring, 'Cept My PC Mouse.
> I Was Surfing The Web, For Setup Advice,
> For The Right Lotus Toe-In, I'd Cash In My Wife.
>
> My Line Through The 'Bolica, Was Awfully Poor,
> My Top End Pathetic, With Throttle To Floor.
> I'd Spent All My Earnings, I'd Made Every Deal,
> For A P3 Four Fifty, And A Force Feedback Wheel.
>
> When Out On The Lawn There Arose Such A Clatter,
> I Sprang From My Desk To See What Was The Matter.
> A Strobe Of White Light, Through The Window Did Flash,
> It Looked To My Eye, Like A Giant Clock Smash.
>
> I Threw Open The Sash, And What Should I See,
> But A White Bearded Driver, In A Red Ferrari.
>
> He Stomped On The Clutch, And Feathered The Gas,
> Then Lifted His Goggles, I Could Tell He Was Fast.
> He Pulled Down His Scarf, And Flashed Me A Smile,
> And Tossed Me A CD, Labelled "Lo1 File".
>
> "Remember," He Said, "The Ones With The Fame."
> And With Eyes To The Sky, He Called Out Their Names.
>
> Now Jimmy, Now Graham, Now Denis, And Jochen,
> McLaren, And Pedro, Ginther And Irwin.
> "Enter Turns Slowly, And Exit With Speed,
> And You'll Get All You Can, From Your Trusty Green Steed."
>
> Then He Shifted To First, And Out Popped The Clutch.
> "I'm Off To Zandvoort, And The Grand Prix That's Dutch!"
> He Peeled Out In First, With Wheelspin Galore,
> Looking For Brabhams, That Still Had A Door.
>
> And I Heard Him Exclaim, With Great Holiday Cheer,
> "To All A Good Night, Have a GPL Year!"

Talking about GPL, the 1967F2 Mod for Grand Prix Legends has just been
released.

http://www.f2legends.net/

A true masterpiece. Those cars are so fun to drive that I can't get the
grin off my face.

Kai
Old January 4th 12, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

"Kai Åberg" > wrote in message
> On 24/12/2011 00:03, Plowboy wrote:
>> A GPL Christmas
>> by Joe Shaw
>>
>> 'Twas The Night Before Christmas, And All Through The House,
>> Not A Creature Was Stirring, 'Cept My PC Mouse.
>> I Was Surfing The Web, For Setup Advice,
>> For The Right Lotus Toe-In, I'd Cash In My Wife.
>>
>> My Line Through The 'Bolica, Was Awfully Poor,
>> My Top End Pathetic, With Throttle To Floor.
>> I'd Spent All My Earnings, I'd Made Every Deal,
>> For A P3 Four Fifty, And A Force Feedback Wheel.
>>
>> When Out On The Lawn There Arose Such A Clatter,
>> I Sprang From My Desk To See What Was The Matter.
>> A Strobe Of White Light, Through The Window Did Flash,
>> It Looked To My Eye, Like A Giant Clock Smash.
>>
>> I Threw Open The Sash, And What Should I See,
>> But A White Bearded Driver, In A Red Ferrari.
>>
>> He Stomped On The Clutch, And Feathered The Gas,
>> Then Lifted His Goggles, I Could Tell He Was Fast.
>> He Pulled Down His Scarf, And Flashed Me A Smile,
>> And Tossed Me A CD, Labelled "Lo1 File".
>>
>> "Remember," He Said, "The Ones With The Fame."
>> And With Eyes To The Sky, He Called Out Their Names.
>>
>> Now Jimmy, Now Graham, Now Denis, And Jochen,
>> McLaren, And Pedro, Ginther And Irwin.
>> "Enter Turns Slowly, And Exit With Speed,
>> And You'll Get All You Can, From Your Trusty Green Steed."
>>
>> Then He Shifted To First, And Out Popped The Clutch.
>> "I'm Off To Zandvoort, And The Grand Prix That's Dutch!"
>> He Peeled Out In First, With Wheelspin Galore,
>> Looking For Brabhams, That Still Had A Door.
>>
>> And I Heard Him Exclaim, With Great Holiday Cheer,
>> "To All A Good Night, Have a GPL Year!"
>>

> Talking about GPL, the 1967F2 Mod for Grand Prix Legends has just been
> released.
>
> http://www.f2legends.net/
>
> A true masterpiece. Those cars are so fun to drive that I can't get the
> grin off my face.
>
> Kai

Ill have to relook, how does GPL run on new computers (vista and or Win7
5770 ati cards?) I havent been on GPL in a while...

Heck, I'm going to have to find my GPL Iso and disc cover, and see haw bad
it is in Vista, lol... I still have 2 cdroms full of old downloads from GPL
stuff, which I am sure are outdated, and what, 4 or 5 250 meg "Iomega
Zipdrives" full of stuff in the
basement somewhere for Nascar Racing 02 & 03? Plus I saw all 3 disk covers
(keys) somewhere while hiding presents ya know.

Anyone recall SODA OFF ROAD, I see I still have that CD in that box, the
other day... no way to fake the old "rendition2 cards" now days is there?

I thought I saw someone working their butts off in rFactor2 with 67 or
earlier year GP cars? Maybe it was plain old rFactor? Anyway, yep, 2012
should be a good year, just before mankind is wiped off the planet, sometime
this year, right? (refereing to all the Nostradamus stuff, if anyone
believes in that, I have doubts, but teeter both ways, especially with Iran
rattling swords this past week or 2).

Old January 4th 12, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Uwe

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011 11:14:32 +0000, Tony R wrote:

>> Merry Midwinterfest folks. And just in case the Mayans were right (rather than just

> You too Andrew and to the few still sheltering in the RAS bunker

Hope you all had great holidays and a good & healthy new year. We'll
still be here this time next year I'm pretty certain unless someone is
hit by a bus or dies of old age. Most likely, we'll be driving rF2,
GT3 and who know what will be out by then... my money is on rF2 /
Endurance mod ;-)

Cheers, Uwe
Old January 4th 12, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
RickyB[_2_]

Must say that this post got my interest up enough to reinstall GPL
(again!) and I followed the instructions on this site, which actually
worked exactly as promised. I'm now running the new F2 mod and the
existing '65 mod, and, like the OP, can't stop grinning.

http://www.simhq.com/_motorsports4/m...orts_147a.html

Can't promise the same results for everyone, but it certainly worked for
me - all up and running within a couple of hours.

Happy & Healthy New Year to everyone, and thanks to those few stalwarts
who still post.

Rick.
(Still lurking after all these years!)

Old January 5th 12, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy[_3_]

"Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
> lid (Plowboy) wrote:
>
>> I have doubts, but teeter both ways, especially with Iran
>> rattling swords this past week or 2

> I'd be more worried about a far more worrying sign of the Apocalypse if I
> were you.
> iRacing appear to be whoring themselves out to add a Cadillac!
>
> I want mine in pink. Or a crusher, I'm not fussy.
>
> As for GPL... I managed to get it running ok quite recently, but although
> I want to
> love it, I just can't live with the graphics any more. It's been tweaked,
> lovingly,
> by countless modders, but my visual cortex seems to have moved on. My
> loss. :-(
>
> Having said that, the recent screens from rF2 have confirmed the fact that
> their
> graphics engine is still somewhat retro-flavoured, so resetting my
> expectations
> back to GPL levels may be a good move. :->
>
> Andrew McP
>
> PS I still have SODA somewhere, I think. I'm sure I remember someone at
> iRacing
> (maybe even DK) saying that SODA was a sort of unofficial, one-man project
> which
> was good enough to publish. Can't remember who the one man was though.

Seriously some cadilac? well the way some people drive like old ladies on
there, hehehehe just might be the perfect fit, I dunno.

I hear your pain, Graphics wise, but I dont think it bothers me as much, as
long as I get the sensation of movement around the track. I raced
motocross, not big time just amature stuff... but anything but that little
tunnel in front of me, is a blur, so I say why even waste CPU cycles to draw
it <lol>. but yeah, I have seen screenies from some peoples PC's the gfx
look a lot better than I can produce with my old equipment, without
stuttering. Hell, a couple years back when I was moving, I found the
rendition2 card in that box as well, I dont recall if I finally tossed it or
not. I dont imagine it would do anyone anygood either though, lol. But I
have fantasy about setting up an old win98 box with that card just for SODA,
lol. probably a crapload of work to be dissapointed in the end though, best
to just keep the memories.