93 Saturn SC2, Overheating issues...HELP???

Old October 22nd 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
talldredge

Default 93 Saturn SC2, Overheating issues...HELP???

Hey, I have just purchased a 93 Saturn SC2 DOHC. I only paid 700 so I
expected some glitches, but the previous owner didn't mention anything about
it overheating. I took it to a MIDAS and they tested it and put about 350
dollars in it to stop it from overheating and it is still doing it. Here is
what I know:

Midas replaced the thermostat and bypassed the sensor that kicks the fan on,
because it didn't seem to be working, they installed a switch that leaves the
fan on constantly while the car is on. They pressure tested the entire system
and there are no leaks. Fluid is pumping through it fine, so the water pump
appears to be fine.

If I start it up and let it sit, it goes to about the half way mark on the
heat gauge and stays there and does not overheat. But once I start to drive
it, it creeps above half way mark untill I stop at a stop sign or traffic
light and then the heat gauge creeps up to the 3/4 mark and higher, that is
when the overfill tank starts to overfill and sprays the engine with coolant
and I start to get steam/smoke from the coolant on the engine.

So far it hasn't hit the actual red indicator on the gauge but it gets close
enough and the overfill tank starts releasing coolant. The coolant indicator
light just started comming on last night, but I think it is because I am low
on coolant from it comming out of the overfill tank.

Midas thinks it is an electrical problem, but since they bypassed the fan,
what other electrical components are involved with the coolant system. I have
had vehicles in the past overheat and have had head gaskets blown because of
it. So I don't want to take any chances, but I am also not convinced it is an
electrical problem, although to be honest I do not know what all electrical
components are involved.

PLEASE HELP and provide any suggestions or tips you can think of. This is the
only transportation I have to get to work and need it to last at least a few
months till tax return.

I thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice you can give,

Tim

Old October 22nd 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
metoo

Did you answer your own question? head gasket?
I would not think it is electrical because if your fan is on all the
time then the engine is overheating as evidenced by the steam. Could
be pressure cap releasing too early but you said that was replaced,
only other electrical I can think of would be computer/injectors
making it run too lean and overheaing. is something restricting the
water flow ?

Old October 22nd 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 16:14:12 GMT, "talldredge" <u28178@uwe> wrote:

>Hey, I have just purchased a 93 Saturn SC2 DOHC. I only paid 700 so I
>expected some glitches, but the previous owner didn't mention anything about
>it overheating. I took it to a MIDAS and they tested it and put about 350
>dollars in it to stop it from overheating and it is still doing it. Here is
>what I know:
>
>Midas replaced the thermostat and bypassed the sensor that kicks the fan on,
>because it didn't seem to be working, they installed a switch that leaves the
>fan on constantly while the car is on. They pressure tested the entire system
>and there are no leaks. Fluid is pumping through it fine, so the water pump
>appears to be fine.
>
>If I start it up and let it sit, it goes to about the half way mark on the
>heat gauge and stays there and does not overheat. But once I start to drive
>it, it creeps above half way mark untill I stop at a stop sign or traffic
>light and then the heat gauge creeps up to the 3/4 mark and higher, that is
>when the overfill tank starts to overfill and sprays the engine with coolant
>and I start to get steam/smoke from the coolant on the engine.
>
>So far it hasn't hit the actual red indicator on the gauge but it gets close
>enough and the overfill tank starts releasing coolant. The coolant indicator
>light just started comming on last night, but I think it is because I am low
>on coolant from it comming out of the overfill tank.
>
>Midas thinks it is an electrical problem, but since they bypassed the fan,
>what other electrical components are involved with the coolant system. I have
>had vehicles in the past overheat and have had head gaskets blown because of
>it. So I don't want to take any chances, but I am also not convinced it is an
>electrical problem, although to be honest I do not know what all electrical
>components are involved.
>
>PLEASE HELP and provide any suggestions or tips you can think of. This is the
>only transportation I have to get to work and need it to last at least a few
>months till tax return.
>
>I thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice you can give,
>
>Tim

Look for a radiator hose that is collapsed internally blocking xoolant
flow or the radiaotr core is plugged up which is not unusual in a old
car. Also give the tendancy of the plastic end tanks on it to crack
with age, I would not botther have it rodding out or cleaning it and
would replace it with a after market unit. There also is a slight
chance it could be water pump but my nickle is on the first two
suggestiions with the second one the likely cause.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old October 23rd 06, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

talldredge wrote:
> Hey, I have just purchased a 93 Saturn SC2 DOHC. I only paid 700 so I
> expected some glitches, but the previous owner didn't mention anything about
> it overheating. I took it to a MIDAS and they tested it and put about 350
> dollars in it to stop it from overheating and it is still doing it. Here is
> what I know:

Replace the fan motor. It does not simply stop working, it degrades
with age. Had the same problem and tried everything.

Larry

Old October 24th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

sounds like a bad head gasket to me.

Old October 25th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:07:36 -0400, wrote:

> sounds like a bad head gasket to me.

Not so sure, I have a Saturn and they will loss coolant before they
hit red mark and it does not have a bad headgasket. GM uses a funky
coolant tank unlike what they normally use and there is nowhere for
coolant to vent except overboard as there is no recovery system on
that car. It is kinda a step backwards in that regard.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old October 25th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

Straight from the condition chart
Engine Overheats:
-System low on coolant

-Dirt, leaves, or insects on radiator or condenser

-Hoses, water pump, thermostat housing, radiator, core plugs, or head
gasket leakage

-Thermostat damaged

-Cooling fan motor or cooling fan relay

-Radiator hose plugged or rotted

-Water pump damaged

-Radiator plugged

-Coolant recovery reservoir cap damaged

-Cylinder head or block cracked or water passages plugged

-Accessory drive belt and/or tensioner

-Plugged heater core

-Plugged heater hose

-Vehicle air deflector damaged, cracked, or missing

-Coolant solution

-Damaged or missing fan shroud