90 Miata Idling Probs

Old December 10th 05, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 90 Miata Idling Probs

I have a 90 Miata with an idling problem. Went by the local Mazda
dealership today and was told that since it has over 100000 miles and
is over 10 years old they dont want to mess with it, lol..it has
385,000 miles(YES, it still runs like a top!) In the last two days,
when downshifting to a stop, it tries to cut out. It will not cut out
if you dont downshift. There is a clicking noise coming from a relay
under the dash. Took it by the dealership, but they couldnt tell me
what the part is. Anyone got any ideas if this might be the fuel
circuit opening relay..its a denso part and is readily accessible.
Thanks

Old December 10th 05, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I just want to say congrats! 400k right around the corner, awesome! I hope
someone here can assist you on the relay / problem.

Chris
99BBB

oups.com...

Old December 10th 05, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Marty" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I have a 90 Miata with an idling problem. <snip> ,.it has
> 385,000 miles(YES, it still runs like a top!)

Sorry I can't help but, out of curiousity, would you tell us what has
been done to it over the years? I don't mean oil changes, tires,
brakes, new top, etc. or any other "wear and tear" items but things
like how many times have you replaced the clutch? Engine rebuilds?
Transmissions? Differentials? Suspension?

Inquiring minds want to know!

BTW, could the clicking noise have to do with the alarm system? There
is a relay that does click and if that's the noise it won't have
anything to do with your idling problem.

Old December 10th 05, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Keep in mind, this is my wife's BABY. No rebuilds, trannys or
differentials and it still has the original clutch. I have replaced the
timing belt a couple of times, but really no major work has been done
to it. It doesnt have much compression, lol, but it still fires right
up and runs like a champ! The lifters have just started tapping, so it
looks like I am going to be busy with it shortly, however. BTW, does
anyone find it odd that the dealership couldnt even tell me what this
part is, with me holding it in my hand at the counter?

Old December 10th 05, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Sorry, I missed the last part of that post..there is no alarm system,
so that isnt it, but thanks.

Old December 10th 05, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

why not snap a picture of the part an put it up on shutterfly or
someplace...

a peek at the garage section of maita.net coughed up this page... scroll
down to the section titled 'stalling' and also read on to 'uneven
running'... and 'power loss' (since you mentioned poor compression)... i
felt that my 95 had a compression problem but it was just a lousy set of
cables. you didn't mention replacing cables in your maintenance history,
was that just too mundane to mention or was it indeed neglected?

finally, thanks for making my miata feel really young! here's to you
reaching the half million mark!

oups.com...

Old December 10th 05, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

oops. here's the link... http://www.miata.net/garage/ignition.html

oups.com...

Old December 10th 05, 05:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Hey, Chris, thanks for the site. I will take a pic of it tomorrow and
post it on shutterfly. I have replaced the spark plug wires several
times. My wife also has insisted that I post that it has never had any
gas except Amoco gold, so here is my one concession to her, lol. I
think that I need to go to another Mazda dealership..the idiot service
advisor tried to convince me that there wasnt an idle screw I could
adjust. Wonder if that was just because he was probably younger than
the car.....?

Old December 10th 05, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

A second thanks for mentioning Shutterfly. I'll be using it
to post a photo for group comment. We'll see if they stick
to my no spam request!

Old December 10th 05, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Marty" > wrote:

>I have a 90 Miata with an idling problem. Went by the local Mazda
>dealership today and was told that since it has over 100000 miles and
>is over 10 years old they dont want to mess with it, lol..it has
>385,000 miles(YES, it still runs like a top!)

Obviously then, it is possible for a 1990 Miata to run forever without
developing the crankshaft issue. I would think that you doing your
own timing belt changes might have something to do with it. Despite
the protestations of mechanics to the contrary. Maybe that also has
something to do with this dealer wanting to stay away from the car.

> In the last two days,
>when downshifting to a stop, it tries to cut out. It will not cut out
>if you dont downshift. There is a clicking noise coming from a relay
>under the dash. Took it by the dealership, but they couldnt tell me
>what the part is. Anyone got any ideas if this might be the fuel
>circuit opening relay..

Probably. Here is the relays info from Haynes:
http://www.dommelen.net/tmp.jpg
Make sure your browser does not resize images like Internet Exploder
and Firefox do by default.

>its a denso part and is readily accessible.
>Thanks

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

One year later - Corvette vs. Miata tom4416 Mazda 15 December 9th 05 11:46 PM
FA: 1990 miata parts + much more to come - long list, many OEM &aftermarket parts for 1.6 and 1.8 liter M1's pws Mazda 6 August 2nd 05 02:53 AM
idling with AC on mac Technology 6 July 28th 05 10:17 PM
Corvette vs Miata - long Tom Howlin Mazda 23 March 1st 05 12:28 AM
Looking to buy 1991 1.8 liter turbo miata pws Mazda 3 November 23rd 04 06:37 AM