Argh! Tranny gone bad

Old June 1st 13, 03:09 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy[_2_]

Default Argh! Tranny gone bad

Well, after 12 years of mostly problem-free service, my 2000 323 has
succumbed to the dreaded "no reverse" problem. Damn it. I was hoping
to get a few more years out of it.

Now I have to decide if a car with a book value of only a few grand,
and is starting to show the first signs of rust, is worth getting a
new tranny.

Old June 1st 13, 04:34 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy[_2_]

dizzy > wrote:

>Well, after 12 years of mostly problem-free service, my 2000 323 has
>succumbed to the dreaded "no reverse" problem. Damn it. I was hoping
>to get a few more years out of it.
>
>Now I have to decide if a car with a book value of only a few grand,
>and is starting to show the first signs of rust, is worth getting a
>new tranny.

Update: Evidence is pointing to my car having the GM tranny, not the
ZF, in which case it's only a selenoid. GM rules!

Old June 1st 13, 05:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

dizzy > wrote:
>Well, after 12 years of mostly problem-free service, my 2000 323 has
>succumbed to the dreaded "no reverse" problem. Damn it. I was hoping
>to get a few more years out of it.
>
>Now I have to decide if a car with a book value of only a few grand,
>and is starting to show the first signs of rust, is worth getting a
>new tranny.

Think of this as an opportunity to retrofit a manual in there rather
than as a failure.
--scott

Old June 1st 13, 06:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Scott Dorsey wrote:

>dizzy > wrote:
>>Well, after 12 years of mostly problem-free service, my 2000 323 has
>>succumbed to the dreaded "no reverse" problem. Damn it. I was hoping
>>to get a few more years out of it.
>>
>>Now I have to decide if a car with a book value of only a few grand,
>>and is starting to show the first signs of rust, is worth getting a
>>new tranny.

>Think of this as an opportunity to retrofit a manual in there rather
>than as a failure.
>--scott

Ha! Thanks for the advice, but I don't think so. My other car has a
manual. It's nice to have both.

I tool it out for a drive this morning, and it worked perfectly! This
compares with other accounts of read of the GM's solenoid going bad,
which, of course, is much better than the ZF's catastrophic, and much
more expensive, failure.

So, I guess I won't be getting a new car. :/

I've been thinking of the X1, probably the 6-cylinder. Hydraulic
steering, and no start-stop! But only a 6-speed auto, instead of the
8-speed that most Bimmers are shipping with.

Old June 1st 13, 07:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"dizzy" > wrote in message
> dizzy > wrote:
>
>>Well, after 12 years of mostly problem-free service, my 2000 323 has
>>succumbed to the dreaded "no reverse" problem. Damn it. I was hoping
>>to get a few more years out of it.
>>
>>Now I have to decide if a car with a book value of only a few grand,
>>and is starting to show the first signs of rust, is worth getting a
>>new tranny.

> Update: Evidence is pointing to my car having the GM tranny, not the
> ZF

Well indeed - the fact it broke after only 12 years was primae facie
evidence...

Old June 2nd 13, 03:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> dizzy > wrote:
>>Well, after 12 years of mostly problem-free service, my 2000 323 has
>>succumbed to the dreaded "no reverse" problem. Damn it. I was hoping
>>to get a few more years out of it.
>>
>>Now I have to decide if a car with a book value of only a few grand,
>>and is starting to show the first signs of rust, is worth getting a
>>new tranny.

> Think of this as an opportunity to retrofit a manual in there rather
> than as a failure.
> --scott

Hold your horses.

If your car has ther GM5, you can fix the No Reverse problem for the price
of a fluid flush and a solenoid that runs about 80 bucks.

Old June 2nd 13, 11:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy[_2_]

"R. Mark Clayton" > wrote:

>"dizzy" > wrote:
>>
>> Update: Evidence is pointing to my car having the GM tranny, not the
>> ZF

>Well indeed - the fact it broke after only 12 years was primae facie
>evidence...

You mean because the ZF doesn't last that long? I've got 140,000
miles.

I suppose I'll have to replace it eventually, but the E46 is just
perfect for me. I honestly don't like the newer 3-series as much.
The E90 is OK, I guess, but even that has a bunch of things I don't
like, like run-flats and "push to start". Plus it's bigger than what
I like.

Old June 3rd 13, 03:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

dizzy > wrote:

>I suppose I'll have to replace it eventually, but the E46 is just
>perfect for me. I honestly don't like the newer 3-series as much.
>The E90 is OK, I guess, but even that has a bunch of things I don't
>like, like run-flats and "push to start". Plus it's bigger than what
>I like.

Consider the 1-series. It still has a lot of goofy electronic stuff, but
even the 128i is a fun car to drive.
--scott
Old June 5th 13, 12:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"dizzy" > wrote in message
> "R. Mark Clayton" > wrote:
>
>>"dizzy" > wrote:
>>>
>>> Update: Evidence is pointing to my car having the GM tranny, not the
>>> ZF

>>Well indeed - the fact it broke after only 12 years was primae facie
>>evidence...

> You mean because the ZF doesn't last that long? I've got 140,000
> miles.

No exactly the opposite - I would not expect a ZF tranny to fail other than
through abuse, whereas the GM one failing early was only to be expected...

> I suppose I'll have to replace it eventually, but the E46 is just
> perfect for me. I honestly don't like the newer 3-series as much.
> The E90 is OK, I guess, but even that has a bunch of things I don't
> like, like run-flats and "push to start". Plus it's bigger than what
> I like.

Pine sap - argh! dwight[_5_] Ford Mustang 8 September 15th 09 11:56 PM
Argh! Looks like I need a new radiator SteveH Alfa Romeo 5 June 11th 07 09:44 PM
Argh! SteveH Alfa Romeo 11 March 3rd 07 11:11 PM
not starting.. argh! Josh Assing BMW 10 February 6th 06 05:40 PM
Argh....I have to sell her. Anthony VW air cooled 21 February 9th 05 04:53 AM