A Cars forum. AutoBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AutoBanter forum » Auto makers » Saturn
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Airbag Light



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 5th 09, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
RonP
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Airbag Light

Hello, need some help. Have a 97 SC2 and had it up for sale. Daughter left
the windows open and we got a deluge rainstorm overnight and the next day,
it had three to four inches of water inside. To make matters worse, we had
a flight several hours later out of the country so the car was secured and
we left. We came back a week later and the inside of the car was soaked.
It's dried out now, but since the water, the airbag light is on. I tried to
reset it by unhooking the battery as well has having Autozone try to reset
it like they can with check engine lights, but to no avail.

How can I get this light reset? IT's a $800 car that I don't want to take
to the dealer.

Thanks

Ads
  #2  
Old December 6th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ned Flanders
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Airbag Light

RonP wrote:
> Hello, need some help. Have a 97 SC2 and had it up for sale. Daughter
> left the windows open and we got a deluge rainstorm overnight and the
> next day, it had three to four inches of water inside. To make matters
> worse, we had a flight several hours later out of the country so the car
> was secured and we left. We came back a week later and the inside of
> the car was soaked. It's dried out now, but since the water, the airbag
> light is on. I tried to reset it by unhooking the battery as well has
> having Autozone try to reset it like they can with check engine lights,
> but to no avail.
>
> How can I get this light reset? IT's a $800 car that I don't want to
> take to the dealer.
>
> Thanks


Does this model have a sensor in the passenger seat that senses a
passenger and switches on the passenger side air bag?

If so it may still be wet or damaged and thus causing the error.
  #3  
Old December 6th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
RonP
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Airbag Light



"Ned Flanders" > wrote in message
...
> RonP wrote:
>> Hello, need some help. Have a 97 SC2 and had it up for sale. Daughter
>> left the windows open and we got a deluge rainstorm overnight and the
>> next day, it had three to four inches of water inside. To make matters
>> worse, we had a flight several hours later out of the country so the car
>> was secured and we left. We came back a week later and the inside of the
>> car was soaked. It's dried out now, but since the water, the airbag light
>> is on. I tried to reset it by unhooking the battery as well has having
>> Autozone try to reset it like they can with check engine lights, but to
>> no avail.
>>
>> How can I get this light reset? IT's a $800 car that I don't want to
>> take to the dealer.
>>
>> Thanks

>
> Does this model have a sensor in the passenger seat that senses a
> passenger and switches on the passenger side air bag?
>
> If so it may still be wet or damaged and thus causing the error.


Thanks. It doesn't appear so.

  #4  
Old December 7th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ned Flanders
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Airbag Light

RonP wrote:
>
>
> "Ned Flanders" > wrote in message
> ...
>> RonP wrote:
>>> Hello, need some help. Have a 97 SC2 and had it up for sale.
>>> Daughter left the windows open and we got a deluge rainstorm
>>> overnight and the next day, it had three to four inches of water
>>> inside. To make matters worse, we had a flight several hours later
>>> out of the country so the car was secured and we left. We came back
>>> a week later and the inside of the car was soaked. It's dried out
>>> now, but since the water, the airbag light is on. I tried to reset
>>> it by unhooking the battery as well has having Autozone try to reset
>>> it like they can with check engine lights, but to no avail.
>>>
>>> How can I get this light reset? IT's a $800 car that I don't want to
>>> take to the dealer.
>>>
>>> Thanks

>>
>> Does this model have a sensor in the passenger seat that senses a
>> passenger and switches on the passenger side air bag?
>>
>> If so it may still be wet or damaged and thus causing the error.

>
> Thanks. It doesn't appear so.


Did the steering wheel get wet? Again, I am not familiar with this
model, but when the check airbag light came on in my 91 Mustang I had to
replace the clock spring in the steering column to fix it.

Have you tried posting your question to http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/ ?

Good luck!
  #5  
Old December 7th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
RonP
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Airbag Light



"Ned Flanders" > wrote in message
...
> RonP wrote:
>>
>>
>> "Ned Flanders" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> RonP wrote:
>>>> Hello, need some help. Have a 97 SC2 and had it up for sale. Daughter
>>>> left the windows open and we got a deluge rainstorm overnight and the
>>>> next day, it had three to four inches of water inside. To make matters
>>>> worse, we had a flight several hours later out of the country so the
>>>> car was secured and we left. We came back a week later and the inside
>>>> of the car was soaked. It's dried out now, but since the water, the
>>>> airbag light is on. I tried to reset it by unhooking the battery as
>>>> well has having Autozone try to reset it like they can with check
>>>> engine lights, but to no avail.
>>>>
>>>> How can I get this light reset? IT's a $800 car that I don't want to
>>>> take to the dealer.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Does this model have a sensor in the passenger seat that senses a
>>> passenger and switches on the passenger side air bag?
>>>
>>> If so it may still be wet or damaged and thus causing the error.

>>
>> Thanks. It doesn't appear so.

>
> Did the steering wheel get wet? Again, I am not familiar with this model,
> but when the check airbag light came on in my 91 Mustang I had to replace
> the clock spring in the steering column to fix it.
>
> Have you tried posting your question to http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/
> ?
>
> Good luck!


No, not really. The drivers window wasn't open but only a few inches
though, the passenger almost all the way. Had about three inches of water
in the floorboard.

  #6  
Old December 8th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 56
Default Airbag Light

afik, the airbag circuit tests the electrical continuity of the squibs and
available firing voltage at key on. A squib is similar in concept to an
electrical blasting cap. When sufficient current is applied, a small
explosion is triggered and the resulting gas inflates the bag. if the
circuit is open or high resistance, warning light goes off.

You can trace out the airbag wiring and test with a LOW POWER ohm meter (a
few milliamps maximum). Do not use a test light or it may detonate the
squib. Follow all the guidelines for proper testing in the service manual.

The actual trigger for the airbags is usually buried on the floor under the
center console. They used to mount this behind the front bumper but as the
sensing electronics got more sophisticated, they got better results mounting
it inside the passenger compartment.

The airbag trigger senses acceleration on impact. Above a certain profile
and it deploys the bags. A high voltage inverter keeps a capacitor charged
all the time key is on. The charge on the capacitor is dumped into the squib
to fire it. The firing capacitor takes about a minute after battery cable is
removed to bleed down to a safe level. After this time you can work with
airbag connectors safely.

Disclaimer: The above is from memory after reading the L-series manual.
Information should be verified if possible.

Oppie

"RonP" > wrote in message
...
>
>
> "Ned Flanders" > wrote in message
> ...
>> RonP wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> "Ned Flanders" > wrote in message
>>> ...
>>>> RonP wrote:
>>>>> Hello, need some help. Have a 97 SC2 and had it up for sale.
>>>>> Daughter left the windows open and we got a deluge rainstorm overnight
>>>>> and the next day, it had three to four inches of water inside. To
>>>>> make matters worse, we had a flight several hours later out of the
>>>>> country so the car was secured and we left. We came back a week later
>>>>> and the inside of the car was soaked. It's dried out now, but since
>>>>> the water, the airbag light is on. I tried to reset it by unhooking
>>>>> the battery as well has having Autozone try to reset it like they can
>>>>> with check engine lights, but to no avail.
>>>>>
>>>>> How can I get this light reset? IT's a $800 car that I don't want to
>>>>> take to the dealer.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks
>>>>
>>>> Does this model have a sensor in the passenger seat that senses a
>>>> passenger and switches on the passenger side air bag?
>>>>
>>>> If so it may still be wet or damaged and thus causing the error.
>>>
>>> Thanks. It doesn't appear so.

>>
>> Did the steering wheel get wet? Again, I am not familiar with this model,
>> but when the check airbag light came on in my 91 Mustang I had to replace
>> the clock spring in the steering column to fix it.
>>
>> Have you tried posting your question to http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/
>> ?
>>
>> Good luck!

>
> No, not really. The drivers window wasn't open but only a few inches
> though, the passenger almost all the way. Had about three inches of water
> in the floorboard.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
About the airbag light Drazen Stojcic Buntovnik Audi 1 July 11th 07 08:28 AM
Airbag light on s[_1_] BMW 5 September 11th 06 03:42 PM
E46 Airbag Light Richard BMW 6 August 11th 06 06:32 PM
'02 airbag light on [email protected] Ford Explorer 3 May 4th 05 10:24 PM
Airbag light R. Sewtahal BMW 2 April 16th 05 07:11 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AutoBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.