Spilt gasoline on car hood, now I have an oily stain

Old July 13th 08, 08:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Spilt gasoline on car hood, now I have an oily stain

well I recently found an oily stain on the front hood of my car. I
can only assume that it is from the lawn mower gas can in the garage.
any ideas on how to remove it? thanks for ant advice.
Old July 14th 08, 02:25 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
uncle_vito

Use car wax.

Vito

Old July 14th 08, 09:01 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.[_2_]

"Uncle_vito" > wrote in message
> Use car wax.
>
> Vito
>

> > wrote in message
>> well I recently found an oily stain on the front hood of my car. I
>> can only assume that it is from the lawn mower gas can in the garage.
>> any ideas on how to remove it? thanks for ant advice.

Wax will certainly seal and protect the stain!

I'd first try a regular carwash soap. If that doesn't work, try diluted
dishwashing liquid soap (Palmolive, etc.) and if that removes it, follow by
waxing the area to protect it.

Tom K.

Old July 15th 08, 12:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
D.

if these suggestions don't do the trick ,
i would recommend " mirror glaze # 3 "
it's a very mildly abrasive polishing
compound .
i get mine at an auto body supply store
but i'm sure you can find it online .
worst case , you may have to have it
wet sanded and buffed if the stain has
discolored the clear coat .
good luck ,
D.

Old July 16th 08, 05:47 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
uncle_vito

No, car wax has chemical cleaners. Maybe the more precise word is 'polish'.

Vito

. ..

Old July 16th 08, 01:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.[_2_]

"Uncle_vito" > wrote in message
> No, car wax has chemical cleaners. Maybe the more precise word is
> 'polish'.
>
> Vito

Some waxes are cleaner/waxes and contain polish but some don't. While you
can try a polishing wax, D's suggestion of a polishing compound may work
better.

Tom K.

Old July 17th 08, 05:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
uncle_vito

You do not want an abrasive cleaner else the paint will be eroded where you
'wax'. Polish has solvents that will remove the gasoline but will not
abrade the paint.. Polish is made for paint. Dish washing liquid is not.
It is that simple.

Dang, you guys are really dense.

Vito'

Old July 17th 08, 04:23 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.[_2_]

"Uncle_vito" > wrote in message
> You do not want an abrasive cleaner else the paint will be eroded where
> you 'wax'. Polish has solvents that will remove the gasoline but will not
> abrade the paint.. Polish is made for paint. Dish washing liquid is not.
> It is that simple.
>
> Dang, you guys are really dense.

We weren't the ones who told the OP to wax his oily paint!

Tom K.

Old July 18th 08, 02:18 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nicik Name

> wrote in message
> well I recently found an oily stain on the front hood of my car. I
> can only assume that it is from the lawn mower gas can in the garage.
> any ideas on how to remove it? thanks for ant advice.

A good one where they do detail work on the side...........