Considering a used BMW 530i V6

Old July 6th 08, 05:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.[_2_]

Default Considering a used BMW 530i V6

"John Carrier" > wrote in message

> Does the car have maintenance records? It's coming due for Insp 1.

And since it's a 2005, this service (along with brake fluid flush and brake
pads/rotors if needed) should be covered by the free 4 yr/50,000 car BMW
maintenance.

Tom K.

Old July 6th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

"Tom K." > wrote in message

> "John Carrier" > wrote in message
>>

>> Does the car have maintenance records? It's coming due for Insp 1.
>>

> And since it's a 2005, this service (along with brake fluid flush and
> brake pads/rotors if needed) should be covered by the free 4 yr/50,000 car
> BMW maintenance.

Good point. Fluid flush and refill for sure (every two years ... one if you
suffer Freudian issues). Brakes are very much driving style and environmet
independent. I've got 70K on my first set and there's still quite a bit
left.

R / John

Old July 6th 08, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

Default Considering a used BMW 530i V6 ... A bit on 6 cylinder engines

The inline six as in the BMW has an honored history. I'm not sure which
marque introduced it first, but Roll Royce offered a seven liter six in its
Silver Ghost, circa 1907. Chevy got on the bandwagon in 1929, BMW in 1933.
Even Ferrari had an I-6 (the type 118 and 121 of 1955).

The I-6 has the inherent advantage of primary and secondary balance. The
run smooth. Many of the great cars, and great racing cars, have been
equipped with an I-6. The disadvantage is length which creates installation
problems. They tend to be a bit heavier than a V-6 and the long crank must
be well supported to avoid flexing.

The V-6 is a more recent design. First introduced by Lancia in the Aurelia
in 1950. Made its mark with the F-1 Ferrari Dino with Mike Hawthorn's
championship season. Inherently unbalanced, it works best in a 60 or 120
degree configuration to minimize vibration (most modern V-6's use balance
shafts to counteract vibration). The V-6 is compact, light and its
popularity in auto use is only exceeded by the I-4 configuration. It's
particularly advantagous in front wheel drive installations (Ala Camry and
Accord).

The I-6 is relatively rare in modern cars. Toyota had a nice one (Supra and
the G-300), but rather than develop it, turned to the more compact V-6.
It's been the signature engine for BMW for years, but with the demand for
more and more power, has gradually been superceded by the V-8's (with an
occasional V-12 and now V-10 at the top of the heap).

R / John

Old July 6th 08, 10:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 22:13:18 GMT, "IceMan" > wrote:

>I'm researching the used BMW market for a 530i V6 and considering extended
>warranty. Any model years I should consider and any known problems with this
>series?
>
>Appreciate your help
>
>thanks

You'll have a bloody long wait to find one - BMW have never made a V6 -
probably have but NEVER put it in a car.

If you really want a V6 go for a Mercedes.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old July 6th 08, 10:39 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

John Carrier > wrote:
>The I-6 has the inherent advantage of primary and secondary balance. The
>run smooth. Many of the great cars, and great racing cars, have been
>equipped with an I-6. The disadvantage is length which creates installation
>problems. They tend to be a bit heavier than a V-6 and the long crank must
>be well supported to avoid flexing.

Back in the twenties and thirties there were some 8 and 12 cylinder inline
designs used in performance cars. They resulted in a very, very long hood.
--scott

Old July 6th 08, 11:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Scott Dorsey > wrote:
> John Carrier > wrote:
> >The I-6 has the inherent advantage of primary and secondary balance.
> >The run smooth. Many of the great cars, and great racing cars, have
> >been equipped with an I-6. The disadvantage is length which creates
> >installation problems. They tend to be a bit heavier than a V-6 and
> >the long crank must be well supported to avoid flexing.

> Back in the twenties and thirties there were some 8 and 12 cylinder
> inline designs used in performance cars. They resulted in a very, very
> long hood. --scott

And ignition timing problems. ;-)

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 6th 08, 11:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Dave Plowman (News) > wrote:
>In article >,
> Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>> John Carrier > wrote:
>> >The I-6 has the inherent advantage of primary and secondary balance.
>> >The run smooth. Many of the great cars, and great racing cars, have
>> >been equipped with an I-6. The disadvantage is length which creates
>> >installation problems. They tend to be a bit heavier than a V-6 and
>> >the long crank must be well supported to avoid flexing.

>> Back in the twenties and thirties there were some 8 and 12 cylinder
>> inline designs used in performance cars. They resulted in a very, very
>> long hood.

>And ignition timing problems. ;-)

Sure, but that's not the half of it... imagine trying to synchronize
six carbs....
--scott
Old July 7th 08, 12:44 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.[_2_]

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> John Carrier > wrote:
>>The I-6 has the inherent advantage of primary and secondary balance. The
>>run smooth. Many of the great cars, and great racing cars, have been
>>equipped with an I-6. The disadvantage is length which creates
>>installation
>>problems. They tend to be a bit heavier than a V-6 and the long crank
>>must
>>be well supported to avoid flexing.

> Back in the twenties and thirties there were some 8 and 12 cylinder inline
> designs used in performance cars. They resulted in a very, very long
> hood.

The inline eights persisted into the fifties in the U.S. with Packard and
Pontiac building the last ones in 1954 (Buick replaced theirs with a V-8
after 1953). But never having heard of one before, I am curious about the
inline twelves - who built them?

Tom K.

Old July 7th 08, 02:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>> John Carrier > wrote:
>> >The I-6 has the inherent advantage of primary and secondary balance.
>> >The run smooth. Many of the great cars, and great racing cars, have
>> >been equipped with an I-6. The disadvantage is length which creates
>> >installation problems. They tend to be a bit heavier than a V-6 and
>> >the long crank must be well supported to avoid flexing.

>> Back in the twenties and thirties there were some 8 and 12 cylinder
>> inline designs used in performance cars. They resulted in a very, very
>> long hood. --scott

Okay, I'll bite. I know of numerous I-8's, V-12's and V-16's. Who made an
I-12?

R / John

BMW E60 530i R. de Jong BMW 0 March 2nd 06 10:19 PM
530i Resonance Steve Cooper BMW 3 October 22nd 05 10:58 PM
US BMW Traffic Pro in 530i? Larus BMW 0 October 16th 05 04:56 PM
94 530i For Sale Conte Ng BMW 0 October 5th 05 03:07 AM
New M3 or 530i. S.A. BMW 6 September 5th 05 10:36 PM