'98 SL2 PS problems

Old October 18th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default '98 SL2 PS problems

I've recently been blessed with a job that affords me the ability to
have enough extra cash to get the numerous issues with my car fixed,
and this particular one is of high annoyance:

In April of '04, I had my brakes done at a Midas shop. They checked all
my fluids for me as well, but forgot to place the PS cap on. Six months
later, I realize that I'm driving without a cap and that the fluid's a
nasty looking orange color. I do nothing about it. A few months later,
my steering starts to get...resistant. On cold mornings, my car
develops a very loud rattling noise. My steering performance at a dead
stop continues to worsen throughout that winter coming into '05. The
rattling also gets more prevalent, occuring on both warm and cold
mornings before the car itself warms up.

I bought a power steering cap this past spring (finally), so I no
longer leak fluid everywhere when I hit a bump, but my steering's just
as bad as ever. The fluid levels are fine, however it's still a dirty
orange color. The rattling and poor steering are definitely on my
nerves.

My car's steering works fine if I'm pressing the gas, but at a dead
stop or when I'm slowing down the performance goes right down the
toilet.

A friend of mine had mentioned that the pump would probably need to be
replaced, but I thought I'd post here to see what might also be causing
the problem, if anything.

1998 Saturn SL2 170k miles.

Thanks in advance!

Old October 18th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

Lets not forget there are seals in your rack&pinion that could be worn
and damaged by foreign material that entered the system. A new pump
would be a good idea as well as a very thorough flush. The shaft seals
on these pumps tend to leak and after 170k you could of been due for a
new one if it was the original anyway.

In article .com>,
says...

Old October 19th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Sherlock Holmes[_1_]

In article .com>,
says...
> I've recently been blessed with a job that affords me the ability to
> have enough extra cash to get the numerous issues with my car fixed,
> and this particular one is of high annoyance:
>
> In April of '04, I had my brakes done at a Midas shop. They checked all
> my fluids for me as well, but forgot to place the PS cap on. Six months
> later, I realize that I'm driving without a cap and that the fluid's a
> nasty looking orange color. I do nothing about it.

In heaven's name, WHY NOT???

"Can't afford it" won't fly, either. The part is probably less than $10
from a Saturn dealer, almost certainly less than $2 at a junkyard -- and
even a piece of aluminum foil and a rubber band would've been
immeasurably better than leaving it WIDE OPEN FOR ANOTHER YEAR AND A
HALF after you found the problem.

Good grief. What were you thinking?

>A few months later,
> my steering starts to get...resistant. On cold mornings, my car
> develops a very loud rattling noise. My steering performance at a dead
> stop continues to worsen throughout that winter coming into '05. The
> rattling also gets more prevalent, occuring on both warm and cold
> mornings before the car itself warms up.

I trust this was not a surprise to you.

> I bought a power steering cap this past spring (finally),

Just curious ... how much did it cost?

>so I no
> longer leak fluid everywhere when I hit a bump, but my steering's just
> as bad as ever. The fluid levels are fine, however it's still a dirty
> orange color. The rattling and poor steering are definitely on my
> nerves.
>
> My car's steering works fine if I'm pressing the gas, but at a dead
> stop or when I'm slowing down the performance goes right down the
> toilet.
>
> A friend of mine had mentioned that the pump would probably need to be
> replaced, but I thought I'd post here to see what might also be causing
> the problem, if anything.

Steering gear box is probably ruined too... should've put a cap on there
the day you discovered it was missing...
Old October 19th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jocko Homo

Come on now. This just has to be a troll. Nobody that dumb could
figure out how to find this newsgroup.

Old October 25th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Actually, I was that dumb and the childish remarks are doing nothing to
solve my problem.

So, what else might be ruined besides the pump?

Thanks!

Brandon

Old October 25th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Mikey S.

Sorry to hear about your problems, I agree with the rest of the posters that
you probably have a pretty badly contaminated system and will need at least
to change the fluid and probably the pump. Try the fluid first..what do you
have to lose? In the future..replace any missing parts ASAP.!

I am encouraged by the 170k miles your SL2 has..I just bought a used 98 SL2
with 87k for the kids to drive, and I wasn't all that sure about the
longetivity of Saturns, but maybe we will have this one around for a while.
What issues have you seen in 170K miles?

--

Mike S.

oups.com...