E46 Coils and shocks

Old September 28th 13, 07:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

Default E46 Coils and shocks

"dizzy" > wrote in message news
> Scott M > wrote:
>
>>The E46 Sport suspension is noted as being too bloody hard. I've got a
>>320d SE and that bashes and crashes more than I'd like sometimes so I
>>can't begin to imagine what the Sport is like.

> It's not that hard. Firm, but impressively compliant, in my opinion.
> "Bashing and crashing" is does not do at all. Just want I want, in a
> sports sedan. Certainly softer than what a true "sports car" has.

---------------

Nothing wrong with the M suspension if the road quality is good. An ex racing driver drove my 330 convertible
and liked it very much but admitted he would prefer his SE for everyday driving on the badly maintained roads
in our area. I understand Alpina versions of the E46 actually have softer springing than the sport so there
must be something in that.

Old October 1st 13, 11:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy[_2_]

"David Haggas" > wrote:

>"dizzy" > wrote:
>> Scott M > wrote:
>>
>>>The E46 Sport suspension is noted as being too bloody hard. I've got a
>>>320d SE and that bashes and crashes more than I'd like sometimes so I
>>>can't begin to imagine what the Sport is like.

>> It's not that hard. Firm, but impressively compliant, in my opinion.
>> "Bashing and crashing" is does not do at all. Just want I want, in a
>> sports sedan. Certainly softer than what a true "sports car" has.

>Nothing wrong with the M suspension if the road quality is good. An ex racing driver drove my 330 convertible
>and liked it very much but admitted he would prefer his SE for everyday driving on the badly maintained roads
>in our area. I understand Alpina versions of the E46 actually have softer springing than the sport so there
>must be something in that.

Of course, the tires matter. With the 16-inchers that came on my
sport/premium-pack 323, I would call the ride plush. In the Summer I
run 215/45-17's, and it's somewhat jiggly, but still not "bloody
hard", even on rough roads.

An M3 with 19's, I don't think I would like. 8)

Old October 7th 13, 10:13 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

"Scott M" > wrote in message
> David Haggas wrote:
>> "Scott M" > wrote in message
>>> I use SE as being non-Sport really! It's a point about the weight thing;
>>> people are heavy. I may have exaggerated the bumpstop thing, but the car
>>> would sit lower for a given weight.

>>> Oooh, that's a point. The wishbone differences will be geometry; from
>>> looking at them I'd be guessing the chief difference would the angle the
>>> rear lug (that mounts in the lollipop bush) meets the main part. I
>>> suppose with higher suspension from a lighter car the two could cancel
>>> out and ride height could end up back to what it is now - which would
>>> keep the wishbone geometry happy.

>> ------------
>>
>> Searched around forums and from what I've read you are right about the
>> angle. Also better longer-lasting bushes in the sport versions. What you
>> say about the higher suspension correcting the geometry sounds
>> encouraging but do you think there is still a possibility of uneven tyre
>> wear or other consequences?

> Tyre wear is mostly down to toe settings (which can be corrected, natch).
> My old E36 on MTech suspension had a hell of a camber on the back wheels
> but wore them evenly (when I got the rear tracking sorted!)
>
> The alternative is to find someone with standard suspension and do a full
> swap.
>
> Or try it and, in due course, replace the wishbones as the balljoints
> don't last forever anyway.
>
> --
> Scott
>
> Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

-------------

Changed the struts and the ride is a huge amount better. There do not seem
to be any issues regarding the wishbones and everything feels tight. The
rear is more problematic because although the ride is now superb, the
standard spring is not any taller than the sport one it replaced with a
consequent lowering of the ride height. The front is higher so the car does
not look quite right. I need some taller (or slightly stiffer) rear springs.
Perhaps saloon car springs are taller?

Old October 7th 13, 12:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott M

David Haggas wrote:

> Changed the struts and the ride is a huge amount better. There do not seem
> to be any issues regarding the wishbones and everything feels tight. The
> rear is more problematic because although the ride is now superb, the
> standard spring is not any taller than the sport one it replaced with a
> consequent lowering of the ride height. The front is higher so the car does
> not look quite right. I need some taller (or slightly stiffer) rear springs.
> Perhaps saloon car springs are taller?

Stiffer springs are what you've just taken off! I doubt the Saloon will
be significantly longer than the Coupe ones. You might get away with
Touring ones but your best bet is to find some off an SE Convertible -
the rear end loading is all the roof and gubbins. It won't matter which
engine size it is as the %age of engine weight at the rear won't be
particularly significant.

Interesting to hear your experience.

--
Scott

Old October 15th 13, 02:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

"Scott M" > wrote in message
> David Haggas wrote:
>
>> Changed the struts and the ride is a huge amount better. There do not
>> seem to be any issues regarding the wishbones and everything feels tight.
>> The rear is more problematic because although the ride is now superb, the
>> standard spring is not any taller than the sport one it replaced with a
>> consequent lowering of the ride height. The front is higher so the car
>> does not look quite right. I need some taller (or slightly stiffer) rear
>> springs. Perhaps saloon car springs are taller?

> Stiffer springs are what you've just taken off! I doubt the Saloon will be
> significantly longer than the Coupe ones. You might get away with Touring
> ones but your best bet is to find some off an SE Convertible - the rear
> end loading is all the roof and gubbins. It won't matter which engine size
> it is as the %age of engine weight at the rear won't be particularly
> significant.
>
> Interesting to hear your experience.
>
> --
> Scott
>
> Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

-----------------------

I have a few photos showing the strut and rear spring heights. The struts
are from a 6 cylinder convertible. The springs with two blue markings were
from a 323i Coupe and are the same size as the sport ones (two white) but
softer so no good. Then I tried some from a 318i saloon (single blue) which
were better but gave a slightly low ride height so not surprisingly too soft
for the convertible. Finally the single white ones which seem a good
compromise - they are stiffer than single blue but nowhere near as stiff as
the sport ones. The breaker was unable to identify the donor car but thought
it was a 330D saloon. It's been trial and error really but at least I have
achieved a good compromise at low cost and can quickly swap the parts back
should I sell the car. The car rides far better now - still very much BMW
handling but compliant enough to level out road undulations where the sport
springs would not give an inch and shook up both the occupants and the
mechanical roof. I am going to have the alignment checked for the new
struts.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1016544... t=directlink

David

Old October 18th 13, 10:25 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott M

David Haggas wrote:
> "Scott M" > wrote in message
>> David Haggas wrote:
>>
>>> Changed the struts and the ride is a huge amount better. There do not
>>> seem to be any issues regarding the wishbones and everything feels tight.
>>> The rear is more problematic because although the ride is now superb, the
>>> standard spring is not any taller than the sport one it replaced with a
>>> consequent lowering of the ride height. The front is higher so the car
>>> does not look quite right. I need some taller (or slightly stiffer) rear
>>> springs. Perhaps saloon car springs are taller?

>> Stiffer springs are what you've just taken off! I doubt the Saloon will be
>> significantly longer than the Coupe ones. You might get away with Touring
>> ones but your best bet is to find some off an SE Convertible - the rear
>> end loading is all the roof and gubbins. It won't matter which engine size
>> it is as the %age of engine weight at the rear won't be particularly
>> significant.
>>
>> Interesting to hear your experience.
>>
>> --
>> Scott
>>
>> Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

> -----------------------
>
> I have a few photos showing the strut and rear spring heights. The struts
> are from a 6 cylinder convertible. The springs with two blue markings were
> from a 323i Coupe and are the same size as the sport ones (two white) but
> softer so no good. Then I tried some from a 318i saloon (single blue) which
> were better but gave a slightly low ride height so not surprisingly too soft
> for the convertible. Finally the single white ones which seem a good
> compromise - they are stiffer than single blue but nowhere near as stiff as
> the sport ones. The breaker was unable to identify the donor car but thought
> it was a 330D saloon. It's been trial and error really but at least I have
> achieved a good compromise at low cost and can quickly swap the parts back
> should I sell the car. The car rides far better now - still very much BMW
> handling but compliant enough to level out road undulations where the sport
> springs would not give an inch and shook up both the occupants and the
> mechanical roof. I am going to have the alignment checked for the new
> struts.

All good stuff. Have you been swapping the rear springs yourself, that's
quite a lot of changes? Is is a difficult job?

--
Scott

Old October 18th 13, 03:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
David Haggas

"Scott M" > wrote in message
> All good stuff. Have you been swapping the rear springs yourself, that's
> quite a lot of changes? Is is a difficult job?
>
> --
> Scott
>
> Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Yes with a trial and error job like this I wouldnt like to have paid anyone
for all the swapping and changing. Youtube tuition videos were the key to me
being able to get it done. Rears are easy enough but stuts are more
difficult but once you've done one they are OK - I have two OEM jacks which
makes things easier. I'd certainly recommend it to those who dislike the
hard sport ride. The only downside is that the headlights are now too low so
will have to look into how to adjust those.

David.