Loud 1996 SL2

Old December 9th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Father Mike[_2_]

Default Loud 1996 SL2

My SL2 has 135,000 km on the clock.

Over the last few months my SL2 has gotten very loud at driving speed. I
can only describe it as loud tire noise. I had my exhaust system checked
and there were no external leaks, although they did say the baffles might
be corroded away.

If I listen outside while it's idling I can hear nothing unusual. The car
runs fine. Any ideas what's causing the noise? Another thought I had was
the rear motor mount but I was told that would cause a metallic sound.

Any suggestions?

My girlfriend has a 2003 Corolla. It's so much smoother and quieter, makes
me realize I need a new car. I like my Saturn but I think next year I'm
getting something new... I'm thinking Hyundai Sonata, Malibu, or a Nissan.
I'm not thinking Saturn because my dealer thoroughly ****ed me of after 12
years of business with them.
Old December 9th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Shawn

Could be a wheeling bearing

Old December 10th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Father Mike[_2_]

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:35:10 -0330, Shawn wrote:

> Could be a wheeling bearing
>
> "Father Mike" > wrote in message
>> My SL2 has 135,000 km on the clock.
>>
>> Over the last few months my SL2 has gotten very loud at driving speed. I
>> can only describe it as loud tire noise. I had my exhaust system checked
>> and there were no external leaks, although they did say the baffles might
>> be corroded away.
>>
>> If I listen outside while it's idling I can hear nothing unusual. The car
>> runs fine. Any ideas what's causing the noise? Another thought I had was
>> the rear motor mount but I was told that would cause a metallic sound.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> My girlfriend has a 2003 Corolla. It's so much smoother and quieter, makes
>> me realize I need a new car. I like my Saturn but I think next year I'm
>> getting something new... I'm thinking Hyundai Sonata, Malibu, or a Nissan.
>> I'm not thinking Saturn because my dealer thoroughly ****ed me of after 12
>> years of business with them.

Good thought. That's one possibility I didn't consider. Is there a way to
check without taking it to a garage? Thanks.
Old December 10th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Dec 9, 7:00*pm, Father Mike > wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:35:10 -0330, Shawn wrote:
> > Could be a wheeling bearing

> > "Father Mike" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> My SL2 has 135,000 km on the clock.

> >> Over the last few months my SL2 has gotten very loud at driving speed. I
> >> can only describe it as loud tire noise. I had my exhaust system checked
> >> and there were no external leaks, although they did say the baffles might
> >> be corroded away.

> >> If I listen outside while it's idling I can hear nothing unusual. The car
> >> runs fine. Any ideas what's causing the noise? Another thought I had was
> >> the rear motor mount but I was told that would cause a metallic sound.

> >> Any suggestions?

> >> My girlfriend has a 2003 Corolla. It's so much smoother and quieter, makes
> >> me realize I need a new car. I like my Saturn but I think next year I'm
> >> getting something new... I'm thinking Hyundai Sonata, Malibu, or a Nissan.
> >> I'm not thinking Saturn because my dealer thoroughly ****ed me of after 12
> >> years of business with them.

> Good thought. That's one possibility I didn't consider. Is there a way to
> check without taking it to a garage? Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

If the sound is like a loud buzz then it is you upper motor mount.
Very simple repair and will get rid of the buzz saw sound. I am
getting ready to replace mine AGAIN in the spring. If you do a
replacement ALSO replace the motor transmission mount on the bottom
oppisite side of the upper mount. That is why i am replacing mine again
Old December 11th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
navaidstech

I just went through that myself...
The wheel sounded like a heavy jet taking off - low rumbling type
noise.

Initially I thought it was a bad tire but after putting the car on
jacks I wiggled the wheel and realized it's the bearing that is shot.
In fact both bearings were shot. Had them both replaced and it's been
MUCH quieter since.
Old December 11th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
navaidstech

Oh yeah.... you can check it by jacking up the car just enough so the
wheel is off the ground. Grab the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock position and
try slightly wiggling it (pull the 9 oclock towards you while pushing
the 3 oclock away from you and vice versa). Do it very lightly and if
you feel a slight play then try grasping the top and the bottom of the
wheel and doing the same thing. It the wheel has play in both cases
then you can almost be assured it's the bearing.
Old December 11th 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Father Mike[_3_]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:00:58 -0800 (PST), navaidstech wrote:

> Oh yeah.... you can check it by jacking up the car just enough so the
> wheel is off the ground. Grab the tire at 9 and 3 o'clock position and
> try slightly wiggling it (pull the 9 oclock towards you while pushing
> the 3 oclock away from you and vice versa). Do it very lightly and if
> you feel a slight play then try grasping the top and the bottom of the
> wheel and doing the same thing. It the wheel has play in both cases
> then you can almost be assured it's the bearing.

OK, thanks a lot. I'm going to do that.
Old December 12th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Father Mike[_2_]

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:35:10 -0330, Shawn wrote:

> Could be a wheeling bearing
>
> "Father Mike" > wrote in message
>> My SL2 has 135,000 km on the clock.
>>
>> Over the last few months my SL2 has gotten very loud at driving speed. I
>> can only describe it as loud tire noise. I had my exhaust system checked
>> and there were no external leaks, although they did say the baffles might
>> be corroded away.
>>
>> If I listen outside while it's idling I can hear nothing unusual. The car
>> runs fine. Any ideas what's causing the noise? Another thought I had was
>> the rear motor mount but I was told that would cause a metallic sound.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> My girlfriend has a 2003 Corolla. It's so much smoother and quieter, makes
>> me realize I need a new car. I like my Saturn but I think next year I'm
>> getting something new... I'm thinking Hyundai Sonata, Malibu, or a Nissan.
>> I'm not thinking Saturn because my dealer thoroughly ****ed me of after 12
>> years of business with them.

It was the RHS wheel bearing. They can always find something else too, in
this case it was the RHS CV joint. Maybe they bearing and CV joint helped
destroy each other. In any case, my car is much quieter.... maybe I won't
be buying a new car after all. Now I need to replace the front door seals.
I think a lot of noise leaks through the gaps.

So thanks to everyone who replied.
Old December 15th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Self-hating Troll

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:12:28 -0600, Father Mike wrote:

> It was the RHS wheel bearing. They can always find something else too, in
> this case it was the RHS CV joint. Maybe they bearing and CV joint helped
> destroy each other. In any case, my car is much quieter.... maybe I won't
> be buying a new car after all. Now I need to replace the front door seals.
> I think a lot of noise leaks through the gaps.
>
> So thanks to everyone who replied.

Just a P.S. The car rides better too. I think there was enough play in the
bad components to add to the hammering while going through potholes. The
suspension seems much tighter now.

Loud Running---L-300?? [email protected] Saturn 12 January 13th 07 09:22 PM
loud tic izac Ford Explorer 8 October 21st 05 05:38 PM
Loud hum in 95 Explorer Chrissie Ford Explorer 2 July 8th 05 06:03 AM
Horns: How loud? Charles Lasitter Honda 6 April 29th 05 10:55 AM
88 Scirocco Too Loud ???? LaM VW water cooled 1 March 3rd 05 04:36 AM