HELP! Is It My Ignition Switch?.............

Old September 5th 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Bob Shuman[_2_]

Default HELP! Is It My Ignition Switch?.............

Based on what you have stated, the click you hear is probably the solenoid
and if so would eliminate the ignition key cylinder switch and starter relay
as possible causes. If the solenoid is mounted on the starter and it has
already been replaced twice (I'm not familiar with if the Mustang has the
solenoid mounted onto the starter like other makes/models I have worked on),
then there is a problem somewhere in the feed from the battery to the
solenoid or from the solenoid to the starter motor.

I say this since if the solenoid is being energized, but the starter does
not turn over, then this means there is an open or resistive connection in
that path between the battery and the starter. You can verify this by
checking the DC voltage (to the chassis ground or the negative on the
battery) on the large red cable going to the solenoid when the ignition key
is turn on.

Check the obvious. Does the car start when you jump it from another
vehicle? If so, likely cause is the battery. If not, then make sure the
posts and connectors are clean and tight. Also make sure the cables
themselves are still good. I've seen them get corroded inside/under the
insulation and this is impossible to see. The only way you know is by
measuring voltage drop between the battery positive terminal and the
solenoid input when the starter is engaged so there is a good load. Also
check the engine ground cable too since the return path for the several
hundred amp current is through the starter frame bolts to the bell housing
and from there to the ground cable and back to the negative side of the
battery.

Good luck. Post what you find.

Bob

Old September 5th 08, 02:37 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 22:45:32 -0600, ".boB" >
wrote:

>EADGBE wrote:
>> I am having a weird problem with my 1996 Mustang
>> GT.
>>
>> Over the past year, I have installed a new
>> battery, alternator, and
>> starter (two of them), cleaned and lubricated
>> the ignition lock
>> cylinder, AND checked all of the related wiring
>> in an attempt to solve
>> the problem, but no success so far.
>>
>> The problem is this: Every once in a while, when
>> I turn the key to
>> start the car, all I will get is a click.

Turn the headlights on before you start the car. If it doesn't start,
did the headlights dim? If so it is a main power problem ( bad battery
connection, bad battery, etc)(also possibly a bad ground) If not it is
a starter , cable, or engine ground problem.(also POSSIBLY a switch,
but if the click is the starter solenoid engaging, the switch is not
AS likely to be the problem.

That said, Ford HAS had problems with connections overheating - and on
the ignition switch on some models. This would cause intermittent
problems - and it COULD cause the solenoid to click but not pull in
far enough to start the engine.

I have a 1996 Mystique, and virtually every problem I have had with it
has been traced down to a charred connection somewhaere in what Ford
euphenistically calls a wiring harness.
Old September 5th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mort Guffman

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 20:52:10 -0700 (PDT), EADGBE
> wrote:

>I am having a weird problem with my 1996 Mustang GT.
>
>Over the past year, I have installed a new battery, alternator, and
>starter (two of them), cleaned and lubricated the ignition lock
>cylinder, AND checked all of the related wiring in an attempt to solve
>the problem, but no success so far.
>
>The problem is this: Every once in a while, when I turn the key to
>start the car, all I will get is a click. The car will not turn
>over. HOWEVER, if I keep turning the key, eventually the car does
>start again, as if nothing at all was wrong.
>
>There is NO pattern to when this occurs. The car can go for weeks
>with NO problem at all, and then I might experience the problem twice
>in one day, only to have the car return to normal the next day.
>
>It doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold. The problem has happened
>when the car is first started up in the morning, AND it has also
>happened in the middle of the day, when the car has been driven around
>and the engine is nice and hot.
>
>It has happened in wet weather and in dry weather.
>
>Could it be my ignition switch? I know that it obviously sounds like
>it might be the switch, but I am simply wondering if this has been a
>somewhat common problem with other Mustangs or Fords.
>
>I am also hesitant to spend the money on a new switch if someone has a
>viable alternative. After all, I have already replaced other major
>links in the chain and gotten nowhere.
>
>So, even though it might obviously be the ignition switch, I wanted to
>make this post just to get other opinions.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help you folks could offer.....

I had this same type of problem with my 98 Cobra. It was very
intermittent. The car was still under warranty. They replaced the
starter THREE TIMES. The third one worked fine and I drove that car
for 7 more years with no problems.

mort
Old September 5th 08, 04:15 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Puddin' Man

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 20:09:06 -0500, "Bob Shuman" >
wrote:

>Based on what you have stated, the click you hear is probably the solenoid
>and if so would eliminate the ignition key cylinder switch and starter relay
>as possible causes. If the solenoid is mounted on the starter and it has
>already been replaced twice (I'm not familiar with if the Mustang has the
>solenoid mounted onto the starter like other makes/models I have worked on),
>then there is a problem somewhere in the feed from the battery to the
>solenoid or from the solenoid to the starter motor.
>
>I say this since if the solenoid is being energized, but the starter does
>not turn over, then this means there is an open or resistive connection in
>that path between the battery and the starter. You can verify this by
>checking the DC voltage (to the chassis ground or the negative on the
>battery) on the large red cable going to the solenoid when the ignition key
>is turn on.
>
>Check the obvious. Does the car start when you jump it from another
>vehicle? If so, likely cause is the battery. If not, then make sure the
>posts and connectors are clean and tight. Also make sure the cables
>themselves are still good. I've seen them get corroded inside/under the
>insulation and this is impossible to see. The only way you know is by
>measuring voltage drop between the battery positive terminal and the
>solenoid input when the starter is engaged so there is a good load. Also
>check the engine ground cable too since the return path for the several
>hundred amp current is through the starter frame bolts to the bell housing
>and from there to the ground cable and back to the negative side of the
>battery.
>
>Good luck. Post what you find.

I think this is good advice.

I've heard of weak batteries giving really strange symptoms. A good,
cheap, fast way to start diagnosing would be to have battery checked
for cranking amps, etc.

If the solenoid and starter-motor circuits (and the battery) are all
100% while having the problem, the only other thing I can think of
is a condition in which the apex of a starter-motor gear-tooth
meshes against the apex of a flywheel tooth, or something (broken
tooth?) get wedged between. But I've not heard of this happening on
such beasties, so it seems unlikely.

Definitely get a jump-start when the problem occurs if practical.

>"Big Al" > wrote in message
>>
>> "EADGBE" > wrote in message
>> On Sep 4, 12:00 pm, Puddin' Man > wrote:
>>>
>>> It would really, really help if you could elaborate on your "click"
>>> and the conditions at the time.
>>>

>> The click I hear is located at the starter. I'm positive about this.
>> I have replaced the starter -- twice -- and re-verified all of the
>> connections at the starter and at the battery.
>>
>> If you hear a click every time you twist the key, it's not the ignition
>> switch.
>>
>> Al

"I Ain't Blind, I Just Don't Wanna See"
- the title of a tune by Little Joe Blue, maybe 1966
Old September 6th 08, 06:01 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Steve R.[_3_]

"EADGBE" > wrote in message

> I am having a weird problem with my 1996 Mustang GT.
>
> Over the past year, I have installed a new battery, alternator, and
> starter (two of them), cleaned and lubricated the ignition lock
> cylinder, AND checked all of the related wiring in an attempt to solve
> the problem, but no success so far.
>
> The problem is this: Every once in a while, when I turn the key to
> start the car, all I will get is a click. The car will not turn
> over. HOWEVER, if I keep turning the key, eventually the car does
> start again, as if nothing at all was wrong.
>
> There is NO pattern to when this occurs. The car can go for weeks
> with NO problem at all, and then I might experience the problem twice
> in one day, only to have the car return to normal the next day.
>
> It doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold. The problem has happened
> when the car is first started up in the morning, AND it has also
> happened in the middle of the day, when the car has been driven around
> and the engine is nice and hot.
>
> It has happened in wet weather and in dry weather.
>
> Could it be my ignition switch? I know that it obviously sounds like
> it might be the switch, but I am simply wondering if this has been a
> somewhat common problem with other Mustangs or Fords.
>
> I am also hesitant to spend the money on a new switch if someone has a
> viable alternative. After all, I have already replaced other major
> links in the chain and gotten nowhere.
>
> So, even though it might obviously be the ignition switch, I wanted to
> make this post just to get other opinions.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you folks could offer.....

I would check the solenoid first, it's the most common problem with these
symptoms. The copper contacts burn out over time, often in one spot. There
is a disk that rotates, so that if you keep trying it will move to a good
spot it will eventually start, if the contacts and washer are partly burned.
Given more time, the solenoid will not make contact at all. It will still
click though. This is also a normal failure on Harley Davidsons, which use
an automotive style solenoid. A rebuild kit is available for Harleys, which
reduces the cost. No such luck with cars.

Steve R.

Ignition Switch [email protected] Corvette 9 August 8th 07 08:36 PM
ignition switch helomech VW water cooled 11 January 9th 07 05:21 AM
ignition switch Larry M. Stein Audi 4 January 2nd 06 02:15 PM
rabbit ignition switch to toggle switch [email protected] VW water cooled 2 October 24th 05 03:26 AM
Ignition Switch [email protected] VW air cooled 1 February 12th 05 08:32 AM