5.0 rattle

Old September 4th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brad and Karen

Default 5.0 rattle

Hey guys...

The old 5.0 5-spd makes a rattling noise when the tach passes 2,000, up or down. I'm going to bet this is a clutch or tranny issue? I'm not sure. Any thoughts guys?

Thank you.

Brad

Old September 4th 08, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

"Brad and Karen" > wrote in message

> Hey guys...
>
> The old 5.0 5-spd makes a rattling noise when the tach passes
> 2,000, up or down. I'm going to bet this is a clutch or tranny issue?
> I'm not sure. Any thoughts guys?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Brad

Kind of tough without hearing the rattle... My first thought was a loose
pulley.

Is the rattle up front, midway, or toward the back of the car?

dwight

Old September 4th 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

You're going to have to get way more specific before we can help you.
It could be anything from rods knocking to a loose clamp.

Old September 4th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
lassie

"Brad and Karen" > wrote in message
Hey guys...

>The old 5.0 5-spd makes a rattling noise when the tach passes 2,000, up or
>down. I'm going to bet this is a clutch or tranny issue? I'm not sure.
>Any thoughts guys?

have someone try to locate it while revving it.
Could be just a loose clamp.

Is clutch in or out?
Car moving or not?

Old September 5th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Big Al[_3_]

"lassie" > wrote in message

> "Brad and Karen" > wrote in message
> Hey guys...
>
>>The old 5.0 5-spd makes a rattling noise when the tach passes 2,000, up or
>>down. I'm going to bet this is a clutch or tranny issue? I'm not sure.
>>Any thoughts guys?

> have someone try to locate it while revving it.
> Could be just a loose clamp.
>
> Is clutch in or out?
> Car moving or not?

If it's a light rattle look at the exhaust system. If it's a GM car look for
loose pistons Don't blame me, they do have 5.0 Camaro's...

Al

Old September 5th 08, 09:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brad and Karen

"Big Al" > wrote in message

> "lassie" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Brad and Karen" > wrote in message
>> Hey guys...
>>
>>>The old 5.0 5-spd makes a rattling noise when the tach passes 2,000, up
>>>or down. I'm going to bet this is a clutch or tranny issue? I'm not
>>>sure. Any thoughts guys?

>> have someone try to locate it while revving it.
>> Could be just a loose clamp.
>>
>> Is clutch in or out?
>> Car moving or not?
>>

> If it's a light rattle look at the exhaust system. If it's a GM car look
> for loose pistons Don't blame me, they do have 5.0 Camaro's...
>
> Al

Hey guys... It's a light rattle... when the gas is on when accelerating. The
clutch is out. Always at 2,000rpm. Weirdest thing. Car runs good otherwise -
hey, it's a 5.0.

Brad

Old September 5th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mike Lenker

I agree, check all exhaust components, especially heat shields on the cats.
Most likely due to a harmonic frequency at that RPM. Several wavelengths
from different drivetrain components may come into synch, thereby amplifying
themselves through loose components. If there is nothing loose on the
outside, take a rubber mallet and it each cat (not too hard) and listen for
rattles. I've had baffles break loose inside and cause rattling noises. If
that's the case, get a whole new H-pipe and do a DIY install. Might be
cheaper than a shop cutting out and replacing one bad cat. If a shop just
replaces one, you'll still have 3 old cats which may do the same thing
eventually. As a bonus you can get legal hi-flow cats and gain a few HP.

mkl
'86 Capri 5.0 5-spd
175,000 mi

Old September 6th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_3_]

"Mike Lenker" > wrote in message
> I agree, check all exhaust components, especially heat shields on the
> cats. Most likely due to a harmonic frequency at that RPM. Several
> wavelengths from different drivetrain components may come into synch,
> thereby amplifying themselves through loose components. If there is
> nothing loose on the outside, take a rubber mallet and it each cat (not
> too hard) and listen for rattles. I've had baffles break loose inside and
> cause rattling noises. If that's the case, get a whole new H-pipe and do
> a DIY install. Might be cheaper than a shop cutting out and replacing one
> bad cat. If a shop just replaces one, you'll still have 3 old cats which
> may do the same thing eventually. As a bonus you can get legal hi-flow
> cats and gain a few HP.
>
> mkl
> '86 Capri 5.0 5-spd
> 175,000 mi

Heat shields. That sounds right. And an easy and very cheap fix, too - rip
it out.

dwight

Old September 6th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

dwight wrote:
> "Mike Lenker" > wrote in message
>> I agree, check all exhaust components, especially heat shields on the
>> cats. Most likely due to a harmonic frequency at that RPM. Several
>> wavelengths from different drivetrain components may come into synch,
>> thereby amplifying themselves through loose components. If there is
>> nothing loose on the outside, take a rubber mallet and it each cat
>> (not too hard) and listen for rattles. I've had baffles break loose
>> inside and cause rattling noises. If that's the case, get a whole new
>> H-pipe and do a DIY install. Might be cheaper than a shop cutting out
>> and replacing one bad cat. If a shop just replaces one, you'll still
>> have 3 old cats which may do the same thing eventually. As a bonus
>> you can get legal hi-flow cats and gain a few HP.
>>
>> mkl
>> '86 Capri 5.0 5-spd
>> 175,000 mi

> Heat shields. That sounds right. And an easy and very cheap fix, too -
> rip it out.

There is a real good fix for rattling heat shields that I use. I buy a
large stainless steel band clamp (maybe two if the shield is large) and
tighten it around the entire shield. It won't rust, holds the shield
snugly in place and keeps the functionality of the heat shield intact.
Old September 6th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
lassie

"dwight" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Mike Lenker" > wrote in message
>> I agree, check all exhaust components, especially heat shields on the
>> cats. Most likely due to a harmonic frequency at that RPM. Several
>> wavelengths from different drivetrain components may come into synch,
>> thereby amplifying themselves through loose components. If there is
>> nothing loose on the outside, take a rubber mallet and it each cat (not
>> too hard) and listen for rattles. I've had baffles break loose inside
>> and cause rattling noises. If that's the case, get a whole new H-pipe
>> and do a DIY install. Might be cheaper than a shop cutting out and
>> replacing one bad cat. If a shop just replaces one, you'll still have 3
>> old cats which may do the same thing eventually. As a bonus you can get
>> legal hi-flow cats and gain a few HP.
>>
>> mkl
>> '86 Capri 5.0 5-spd
>> 175,000 mi

> Heat shields. That sounds right. And an easy and very cheap fix, too - rip
> it out.
>
> dwight

there was a recall on the cats on 5.0 before 92? (free cats)
The ceramic would break inside the cat and heat up, cause funny sounds etc.
Had a 89, one side was broke, would resonate about 3k as a loud muffled
sound, 2.5 to 3.5 or so.
fixed for free by ford.
Also a loose fitting on the exhaust pipe somewhere can do it.

What's that rattle.... cupra Alfa Romeo 10 June 21st 07 12:22 PM
EDC rattle Cords BMW 0 November 23rd 06 12:45 PM
Rattle in my Cat. '98 TJ GTK Jeep 6 September 24th 06 01:59 AM
rattle Jerry Sauk Saturn 1 June 12th 06 12:37 PM
E36 Rattle Help Please [email protected] BMW 3 April 15th 05 07:47 PM