generator stand

Old October 16th 04, 09:48 PM
David

Default generator stand

I am building up a long block for my wife's buggy. I have gotten the engine tin painted the same color as the body and I
was thinking about adding a little chrome to the engine compartment. I was thinking a chrome distributor clamp, a chrome
coil cover, a chrome generator cover and a chrome generator stand. which leads me to my question. Is there a difference
between a stock generator stand and a chrome one? Are the chrome ones junk?
Thanks
David

Old October 17th 04, 01:00 AM
Gary Tateosian

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:48:46 -0400, "David"
> wrote:

>I am building up a long block for my wife's buggy. I have gotten the engine tin painted the same color as the body and I
>was thinking about adding a little chrome to the engine compartment. I was thinking a chrome distributor clamp, a chrome
>coil cover, a chrome generator cover and a chrome generator stand. which leads me to my question. Is there a difference
>between a stock generator stand and a chrome one? Are the chrome ones junk?
>Thanks

....not positive on the genny stand...but most everything else you
named is juink. Especiaslly the dizzy clamp...the chrome ones are
truely pieces of garbage. As for the genny stand...consider powder
coati9ng the rog9inal one...they have some very nice polished
aluminimuy and blck chrome coatings these days...take a look...while
you are at it have them coat the manifold ends..they look *very* good
freshly done....as do the heat exchangers =-)

....Gareth
Old October 17th 04, 01:09 PM
Mark Detro

>...not positive on the genny stand...but most everything else you
>named is juink. Especiaslly the dizzy clamp...the chrome ones are
>truely pieces of garbage. As for the genny stand...consider powder
>coati9ng the rog9inal one...they have some very nice polished
>aluminimuy and blck chrome coatings these days...take a look...while
>you are at it have them coat the manifold ends..they look *very* good
>freshly done....as do the heat exchangers =-)
>

>...Gareth

Agreed with Gary, Get a S/S clamp for the genny they're only about 8 bucks and
work and look waaaaaay better than the chrome ones. Spend a few extra $$ on a
AL dizzy clamp if you gotta have something shiney there too. I think the chrome
coil covers look like chrome covers. I mean they usually are longer than the
coil itself don't always fit too good and easily rust. Again maybe a nice
billet clamp (or maybe even the chrome one). And how about painting the coil to
your liking? The gennie covers fit terribly too, I had to do some major mods
to get one to fit somewhat decent, not much you can do there for alternatives
so just be ready for a fun time fitting it. Another downside to the cover is
unless you do some cutting, you can't fit the plastic dust cover on the gennie.
Thats an important piece on an exposed motor.
On the stands, the upside is it it will fit both gennies and alternators if
you want to switch over later. I would just make sure that the mating surface
to case is as true as it can be. They are just the standard aftermarket
castings (they're not as good as og for fit sometimes but they work) chromed.

Mark Detro
Englewood, FL
Old October 18th 04, 01:38 AM
Jim Adney

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:48:46 -0400 "David"
> wrote:

>I am building up a long block for my wife's buggy. I have gotten the engine tin painted the same color as the body and I
>was thinking about adding a little chrome to the engine compartment. I was thinking a chrome distributor clamp, a chrome
>coil cover, a chrome generator cover and a chrome generator stand. which leads me to my question. Is there a difference
>between a stock generator stand and a chrome one? Are the chrome ones junk?

I would recommend that you avoid all of these things. The coil and the
generator both need to radiate some heat and these things will just
keep the heat in.

Paint the tin nicely and this will dress up the engine. Chrome is kind
of out of place here, but is still widely sold for those more
interested in form than function.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA