A purist's rant

Old September 14th 04, 07:01 PM
Paul Briggs

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu...ail/id/2121606

> >First of all, it's silver, which I question was a factory color in
> >1938. Second, even the most casual observer will notice that the
> >wheels are contemporary as are the tires. But those aren't the most
> >egregious crimes: the poster goes on to point out with pride that this
> >vehicle is now equipped with (and I quote) "custom interior, audio,
> >a/c, power steering" and "all parts aluminum and polished".
> >
> >What these bozos have done is nothing short of criminal. They have
> >taken a piece of automotive history--there are only about 880 LaSalles
> >of all ages and types in the world--and ruined it by making it a
> >modified vehicle. The money spent on making it a toy that would be
> >the delight of some NASCAR country slackjawed yahoo could have been
> >spent on restoring it properly to the way it was when it rolled off
> >the assembly line in 1938 (or late 1937)--and it would have been
> >eminently driveable, and a lot more appealing. If I had the money,
> >I'd buy it, restore it correctly, and make damn sure the previous
> >owners had their noses rubbed in every and any little thing they did
> >wrong as an example to others: don't screw with the true classics.
> >
> >To all of you NHRA types out the go ahead and modify Fords all you
> >like; they're a dime a dozen, and nobody much cares about Fords
> >anyhow. You've seen one, and you've seen 'em all. But modifying a
> >higher-end vehicle, like a LaSalle or Packard, or a now-gone marque
> >(I've seen Hupmobiles and Cords modified) is criminal, and those that
> >commit such crimes commit the unforgiveable.

> As the owner of a mildly modified Hupmobile I take exception to the
> term "crime". My car was nearly complete when I found it but it was
> missing some key components like the starter and distributor. I could
> have had new ones machined but the cost outweighed the benefits. Had I
> gone the restoration route I would have had an 80 HP car with cable
> actuated brakes. The car might have been fine for use in parades and
> car shows but would not have been reliable or safe for every day
> driving. I removed the 900 lb cast iron straight 6 engine and replaced
> it with a 160 hp, 300lb Chevy 250. Power disk brakes have been
> installed for improved stopping. When the vehicle ahead stops I can
> stop too unlike a stock Hup. I've taken care to retain the original
> looks of the car both inside and out. The automatic transmission uses
> the original shift handle. The parking brake is original. The
> upholstery is mohair duplicating the original patterns. The power
> windows are operated by the original window cranks. The Chevy engine
> is very close in appearance and size to the Hupp. I can buy and
> running gear parts at any parts store in the US. I can buy Hupp parts
> nowhere. I now drive my car every day. How many purists can say the
> same?

The point is, you have modified a car, not restored. Refer to it as
"rebuilt", or "modified", just don't call it "restored", it isn't.
Old September 15th 04, 02:43 AM
JDB

> [...]

> actuated brakes. The car might have been fine for use in parades and
> car shows but would not have been reliable or safe for every day
> driving. I removed the 900 lb cast iron straight 6 engine and replaced
> it with a 160 hp, 300lb Chevy 250. Power disk brakes have been
> installed for improved stopping. When the vehicle ahead stops I can
> stop too unlike a stock Hup. I've taken care to retain the original
> looks of the car both inside and out. The automatic transmission uses
> the original shift handle. The parking brake is original. The
> upholstery is mohair duplicating the original patterns. The power
> windows are operated by the original window cranks. The Chevy engine
> is very close in appearance and size to the Hupp. I can buy and
> running gear parts at any parts store in the US. I can buy Hupp parts
> nowhere. I now drive my car every day. How many purists can say the

You don't have a Hupmobile. You have a Chevy in a Hupmobile shell.
The difference is of the same magnitude as that between a lightning
bug and lightning.
Old September 15th 04, 03:34 AM
Grumpy au Contraire

JDB wrote:

> [...]

> > it with a 160 hp, 300lb Chevy 250. Power disk brakes have been
> > installed for improved stopping. When the vehicle ahead stops I can
> > stop too unlike a stock Hup. I've taken care to retain the original
> > looks of the car both inside and out. The automatic transmission uses
> > the original shift handle. The parking brake is original. The
> > upholstery is mohair duplicating the original patterns. The power
> > windows are operated by the original window cranks. The Chevy engine
> > is very close in appearance and size to the Hupp. I can buy and
> > running gear parts at any parts store in the US. I can buy Hupp parts
> > nowhere. I now drive my car every day. How many purists can say the
> > same?

> You don't have a Hupmobile. You have a Chevy in a Hupmobile shell.
> The difference is of the same magnitude as that between a lightning

I gotta remember that one!

<G>

--
JT

Just tooling through cyberspace in my ancient G4
Old September 15th 04, 01:19 PM
Rabbit

> You don't have a Hupmobile. You have a Chevy in a Hupmobile shell.
> The difference is of the same magnitude as that between a lightning
> bug and lightning.

Let's say a restorer drags a rusty shell out of a scrapyard. There's a
frame, two doors, half the hood. He finds an engine that came out of another
Hupp. He repairs the frame. He has to have a trunk lid made out of two other
rusty ones. The driveline is the result of numerous trips to Hershey to find
parts.

He has an upholsterer produce a seat. He has someone make a top for it. Half
the restoration is made up of parts from other cars, one-quarter is
reproduction parts, one-quarter is built from scratch.

Does he have an original Hupmobile, or a reproduction model kit?

Rabbit

Old September 15th 04, 08:25 PM
snh9728

A mature and reasonable point of view.

Steve H

Old October 1st 04, 12:39 PM
Spencer Hager

"Rabbit" > wrote in message

> > You don't have a Hupmobile. You have a Chevy in a Hupmobile shell.
> > The difference is of the same magnitude as that between a lightning
> > bug and lightning.

> Let's say a restorer drags a rusty shell out of a scrapyard. There's a
> frame, two doors, half the hood. He finds an engine that came out of

another
> Hupp. He repairs the frame. He has to have a trunk lid made out of two

other
> rusty ones. The driveline is the result of numerous trips to Hershey to

find
> parts.
>
> He has an upholsterer produce a seat. He has someone make a top for it.

Half
> the restoration is made up of parts from other cars, one-quarter is
> reproduction parts, one-quarter is built from scratch.
>
> Does he have an original Hupmobile, or a reproduction model kit?
>
> Rabbit

Also, I couldn't help but notice how many Hupmobile hulks would be used up
to make one restored Hupmobile vs. how many modified/rodded Hupmobile's
would be built with plenty of spare mechanicals left for the purist to keep
running.

I never thought of it before, but the guy who takes the rusted hulk and
makes the Chevy powered car uses less of the purist gold and also creates
publicity for the brand that could be a value increase for the purist
............. Fact is the purist gold is sold & distributed to the purist
when a custom is built and the hoarders get a chance to increase their
cache. ;-)

zzzzzzzzzzz

Old October 4th 04, 04:16 PM
Riteous Right Reverend Mahmoud Bin Changstein

Amen Brother