VW powered generator

Old February 5th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default VW powered generator

I wonder how that would work out ?
Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
time ?

After this latest ice storm I've decided I need some kind of generator
that can power
the entire farm for extend periods. We were able to power the house
but not the
well pump, electric fences and a few other things. We were ok but I
missed that
running water and a shower.

The electric fences being on would have been a real good thing to but
there were and
still are so many trees down on the fence it was shorted out anyways.

Randy
Old February 5th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill[_3_]

Porsche had a version of its 356 motor (VW T1 based) that was called a
stationary powerplant and was used for purposes like yours. There
must have been a similar VW motor along the line somewhere. I think
that if the motor is dialed-in (mixture, timing, etc.) it can just
chug along for extended periods. The only question would be just how
much of a drag the generator would put on the motor.

Old February 5th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

wrote:
> I wonder how that would work out ?
> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
> time ?
>
> After this latest ice storm I've decided I need some kind of generator
> that can power
> the entire farm for extend periods. We were able to power the house
> but not the
> well pump, electric fences and a few other things. We were ok but I
> missed that
> running water and a shower.
>
> The electric fences being on would have been a real good thing to but
> there were and
> still are so many trees down on the fence it was shorted out anyways.
>
> Randy

Not such a bad idea.

See the variety of alternators this guy has on eBay:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Georgia-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
just as an example.

Maybe the 8kw ST Generator-alternator head
That puts out 33 Amps at 240V.
or the 12KW for 50 Amps.

Can be direct-coupled with a special coupling and bellhousing
adapter or even belt driven (1:1 ratio).

Note that these are 4-pole alternators.
2-pole cheapies are to be avoided as the engine needs to
run at 3600 RPm instead of leisurely 1800 RPm.

VW engine will be loafing even with the 12KW load.

Have a gander at these engines on Samba: "used to bail hay on
Pennsylvania Amish farms in the ‘70s & ‘80s"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=700422

LOL

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old February 5th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Feb 5, 12:56*pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:

> Not such a bad idea.
>
> See the variety of alternators this guy has on eBay:http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Georgia-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
> just as an example.
>
> Maybe the 8kw ST Generator-alternator head
> That puts out 33 Amps at 240V.
> or the 12KW for 50 Amps.
>
> Can be direct-coupled with a special coupling and bellhousing
> adapter or even belt driven (1:1 ratio).
>
> Note that these are 4-pole alternators.
> 2-pole cheapies are to be avoided as the engine needs to
> run at 3600 RPm instead of leisurely 1800 RPm.
>
> VW engine will be loafing even with the 12KW load.
>
> Have a gander at these engines on Samba: "used to bail hay on
> Pennsylvania Amish farms in the ‘70s & ‘80s"http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=700422
>
> LOL
>
> Speedy Jimhttp://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

He's got some good stuff but I'm thinking I would definitly need an
electrition to hook all that up. I can barely work a light switch.

Rany
Old February 5th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

wrote:
> On Feb 5, 12:56 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>> Not such a bad idea.
>>
>> See the variety of alternators this guy has on eBay:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Georgia-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
>> just as an example.
>>
>> Maybe the 8kw ST Generator-alternator head
>> That puts out 33 Amps at 240V.
>> or the 12KW for 50 Amps.
>>
>> Can be direct-coupled with a special coupling and bellhousing
>> adapter or even belt driven (1:1 ratio).
>>
>> Note that these are 4-pole alternators.
>> 2-pole cheapies are to be avoided as the engine needs to
>> run at 3600 RPm instead of leisurely 1800 RPm.
>>
>> VW engine will be loafing even with the 12KW load.
>>
>> Have a gander at these engines on Samba: "used to bail hay on
>> Pennsylvania Amish farms in the ‘70s & ‘80s"http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=700422
>>
>> LOL
>>
>> Speedy Jimhttp://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> He's got some good stuff but I'm thinking I would definitly need an
> electrition to hook all that up. I can barely work a light switch.
>
> Rany

Then you should be looking at one of the package units
maybe like the Honda:
http://www.poweredgenerators.com/honda/EB11000.html

Now we're talking real money...

Have you got a piece of farm machinery you can do
a PTO from? That would shave the costs over a package.

Jim
Old February 6th 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Feb 5, 4:18*pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:

> Then you should be looking at one of the package units
> maybe like the Honda:http://www.poweredgenerators.com/honda/EB11000.html
>
> Now we're talking real money...
>
> Have you got a piece of farm machinery you can do
> a PTO from? *That would shave the costs over a package.
>
> Jim

I'm just a poor old hillbilly.
Could hook 1 up to my tractor's pto but damn I would hate to run up
the
hours on my john deere. Thats the most expensive thing I own other
then
the house and farm.
Maybe I could put the goats and dogs on a big treadmill instead.

Randy
Old February 6th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

wrote:
> On Feb 5, 4:18 pm, Speedy Jim > wrote:
>
>> Then you should be looking at one of the package units
>> maybe like the Honda:
http://www.poweredgenerators.com/honda/EB11000.html

>> Now we're talking real money...
>>
>> Have you got a piece of farm machinery you can do
>> a PTO from? That would shave the costs over a package.
>>
>> Jim

> I'm just a poor old hillbilly.
> Could hook 1 up to my tractor's pto but damn I would hate to run up
> the
> hours on my john deere. Thats the most expensive thing I own other
> then
> the house and farm.
> Maybe I could put the goats and dogs on a big treadmill instead.
>
> Randy

Or the kitties:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxtHEeRcOM

LOL
Old February 6th 09, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I believe that VW used to produce some aircooled engines for industrial use
like maybe for generators. These engines were designed to run for long
periods of time but only at certain speeds.
I think that there was something unique with both the carb and the camshaft.
One of my places had a batch of them to sell but this was decades ago. It
might have been Topline here in Chicago if I was going to guess which place.
I would probably recommend a VW Rabbit Diesel engine in your case.

Groban supply, also in Chicago, should be able to set you up with different
size generator parts or complete generators. If you are lucky they might
have some army surplus units. ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

> wrote in message
>I wonder how that would work out ?
> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
> time ?
>
> After this latest ice storm I've decided I need some kind of generator
> that can power
> the entire farm for extend periods. We were able to power the house
> but not the
> well pump, electric fences and a few other things. We were ok but I
> missed that
> running water and a shower.
>
> The electric fences being on would have been a real good thing to but
> there were and
> still are so many trees down on the fence it was shorted out anyways.
>
> Randy

Street-Legal Jet Powered VW Beetle - "Ron Patrick 's Street-Legal Jet Powered VW Beetle.txt" 11.3 KBytes yEnc [email protected] Auto Photos 31 April 5th 08 09:01 PM
generator q. A Veteran VW air cooled 4 July 3rd 07 08:38 AM
Lucas c40 generator substitute (yes generator - ancient!) jj Technology 3 October 1st 06 04:07 PM
alternator vs generator Patriot Ford Mustang 21 September 24th 05 09:00 PM
generator stand David VW air cooled 3 October 18th 04 01:38 AM