Pontiac Grand Prix instrument panel and other lights out?

Old March 24th 05, 02:51 AM

Default Pontiac Grand Prix instrument panel and other lights out?

I am having problems with interior lights on a 2000 Grand Prix. The
instrument panel lights, steering wheel controls illumination lights,
dimmer control lights, window and door lock lights, heat and air
control lights are ALL OUT. However, the radio lights, check engine
and other indicator lights, the driver info center all work. I have
checked all fuses and they appear not to be blown. Also since there
are lights out in different locations in is hard to believe that the
lights in the instrument panel being burnt out would cause the other to
go out. Any one else experience this problem. Any suggestions on
fixing or what is going on.

Thank you much,

Brett

Old March 24th 05, 09:40 PM
Dean

Hello Brett,
I ran into this problem once while working at a gm dealer. the fuse
for the illumination was getting blown do to a wire being chaffed in
the drivers door panel that illuminated the window switches in the
door. once the wire was repaired and the fuse replaced everything was
fine
Dean

Old March 24th 05, 10:14 PM

Would the blown fuse for the window switches also cause the other
lights I mentioned to go out also. I checked all the fuses that I
thought could pertain to any lighting and they looked alright. ??

I am just trying to save a few dollars, hopefully find a fix before
having to take it into the dealership.

Thanks for the reply,

Brett

Old March 24th 05, 10:18 PM

Could it also perhaps be an electrical problem. Maybe something with
the alternator. Some times my window switch on the drivers side does
not work, and one time the passengers window would not roll all the way
up. Seems didnt have enough juice to close it. The car is in pretty
good shape I take good care of it, but it has 70,000 miles.

Old March 25th 05, 12:16 AM
dociscool

I've owned a 93, 97, 00, and currently a 03 Grand Prix and have had
intermittent power window problems with all of them. One week the front
passenger window may not want to go down... the next week it may work fine
and the drivers rear window may not want to go down, etc. The problem lies
solely in the drivers side power window master control switch. Constant
jarring of the door causes the switch connectors to become loose. Removing
the switch from the door trim is easy and make sure the connectors are
firmly seated. Also doesn't hurt to spray some contact cleaner into the
switch now and then. You might also spray some WD-40 down your window door
jams now and then to keep the window rails and rubber seals lubricated. That
will usually fix a power window that's not wanting to go up easily. Always
try these fixes before you think you have a bad power window motor.

Don't worry about having 70,000 miles on it. Newer Pontiac Grand Prixs will
last at least double that and more if taken good care of. Changing oil
regularly is the most important thing.

oups.com...