84 cross-fire value

Old September 1st 06, 07:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

Default 84 cross-fire value

You asked, "would it make a difference in the price of the car if I
should decide to sell the car in the future ? "

To anyone who lives in an area with emissions inspections (all of us
eventually), your car is not legal for street use. Thus, it's only
value will be for parts. That box full of original EFI parts is worth
a lot more to the next owner of the car than to anyone on Ebay.

How much would you pay for a car without a title? Same thing.

You didn't specify what kind of carburetor, of course. If it's a
Quadrabog from a 1984-1985 Camaro/Caprice then I suppose it would be
legal, if installed with all the other associated components.

-rev

Old September 1st 06, 07:41 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default 84 cross-fire value / attn; Dad

"'Key" > wrote in message
> Dad,
> what do YOU think about keeping the old crossfire
> would do for the value of the car, at the time of sale ?
>
> thanks
> --
> "Key"
> =====

Not my call, BUT, God will the old man ever keep his mouth shut. I would gather
my sheckels and put in the X-ram manifold and sell the carburetion system. Now
it's stock, sort of, and a wad of new fast ponies without the draft horses.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old September 1st 06, 07:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

The engine size shouldn't affect the emissions reading. They're
looking for concentrations of hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen.
Sniffer tests don't capture and measure all the exhaust, just a sample.

But, if the baseline is a 2.8L MPFI V6 and the S10 has an old 350 with
misadjusted Holly 850 and a rammed out converter then it'll fail. Swap
in a stock 5.0/5.7 TPI from same year or newer with all the emissions
components and it'll make it.

-rev

Old September 1st 06, 11:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .
> "'Key" > wrote in message
>> Dad,
>> what do YOU think about keeping the old crossfire
>> would do for the value of the car, at the time of sale ?
>>
>> thanks
>> --
>> "Key"
>> =====
>>

> Not my call, BUT, God will the old man ever keep his mouth
> shut. I would gather my sheckels and put in the X-ram
> manifold and sell the carburetion system. Now it's stock,
> sort of, and a wad of new fast ponies without the draft
> horses.
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd

thanks for your 2¢.
its always greatly appreciated...
really :-)
--
"Key"
=====

Old September 1st 06, 11:46 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"The Reverend Natural Light" > wrote
in message
oups.com...
> You asked, "would it make a difference in the price of the
> car if I
> should decide to sell the car in the future ? "

yes, and
thank you for your response.
--
"Key"
=====

Old September 2nd 06, 02:49 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 22:46:01 GMT, "'Key" > wrote:

>"The Reverend Natural Light" > wrote
>in message
roups.com...
>> You asked, "would it make a difference in the price of the
>> car if I
>> should decide to sell the car in the future ? "

>yes, and
>thank you for your response.

At least in Maryland if you drop a newer engine in a car its fine...
BUT you have to meet the emission standards for the engine NOT the
original car... Thus a 2000 engine in a 1990 vehicle would mean you
had to pass emmisions for a 2000 vehicle not a 1990...

If you go the other way and drop the 1990 engine in the 2000 you still
have to meet the standards for the 2000 vehicle...

Bob G.
Old September 2nd 06, 06:11 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Bob G." > wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 22:46:01 GMT, "'Key" >
> wrote:
>
>>"The Reverend Natural Light" >
>>wrote
>>in message
groups.com...
>>> You asked, "would it make a difference in the price of
>>> the
>>> car if I
>>> should decide to sell the car in the future ? "

>>yes, and
>>thank you for your response.

> At least in Maryland if you drop a newer engine in a car
> its fine...
> BUT you have to meet the emission standards for the engine
> NOT the
> original car... Thus a 2000 engine in a 1990 vehicle would
> mean you
> had to pass emmisions for a 2000 vehicle not a 1990...
>
> If you go the other way and drop the 1990 engine in the
> 2000 you still
> have to meet the standards for the 2000 vehicle...
>
> Bob G.

thanks for your response.
I have the stock engine that came in it in 84,
except its now bored 30 over with flat-top pistons.
the rest of the engine is stock.
I will probably have to make some changes in the exhaust
system when my state gets tougher on
emission standards. as of now they are not that tuff on it.

thanks again
--
"Key"
=====

Old September 3rd 06, 08:31 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Fred C. Dobbs

On 1 Sep 2006 11:59:00 -0700, "The Reverend Natural Light"
> wrote:

>The engine size shouldn't affect the emissions reading. They're
>looking for concentrations of hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen.
>Sniffer tests don't capture and measure all the exhaust, just a sample.
>
>But, if the baseline is a 2.8L MPFI V6 and the S10 has an old 350 with
>misadjusted Holly 850 and a rammed out converter then it'll fail. Swap
>in a stock 5.0/5.7 TPI from same year or newer with all the emissions
>components and it'll make it.
>

>-rev

In California, they have a profile of each car and option code for
engines, If the car has a code for a 4cyl engine and it has a V/8 in
it , then they won't even do a smog on it, If you happen to find an
idiot that has a smog license and he does attempt to smog it, it will
promptly fail, as the car's profile for emissions will be that of a
4 cyl and the emissions from the V/8 will raise a "flag" in the VID
(Vehicle Identification Database) report. (the report that the testing
computer sends back to the state.) The Car then will be "Tagged" and
future smog tests would have to be at a Certified Test Only Station if
you are lucky, If you aren't your Car may be Tagged as a "gross
Poluter" then you are screwed. Oh, and the idiot that smogged your
car in the first place, He would have lost his license because he has
just been targeted By the B.A.R.'s enforcment division and they will
send in a couple tricked out cars to see if he catches them which he
won't.
Old September 3rd 06, 03:29 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Fred C. Dobbs wrote:
> On 1 Sep 2006 11:59:00 -0700, "The Reverend Natural Light"
> > wrote:
>
>> The engine size shouldn't affect the emissions reading. They're
>> looking for concentrations of hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen.
>> Sniffer tests don't capture and measure all the exhaust, just a sample.
>>
>> But, if the baseline is a 2.8L MPFI V6 and the S10 has an old 350 with
>> misadjusted Holly 850 and a rammed out converter then it'll fail. Swap
>> in a stock 5.0/5.7 TPI from same year or newer with all the emissions
>> components and it'll make it.
>>

>> -rev
>>

> In California, they have a profile of each car and option code for
> engines, If the car has a code for a 4cyl engine and it has a V/8 in
> it , then they won't even do a smog on it, If you happen to find an
> idiot that has a smog license and he does attempt to smog it, it will
> promptly fail, as the car's profile for emissions will be that of a
> 4 cyl and the emissions from the V/8 will raise a "flag" in the VID
> (Vehicle Identification Database) report. (the report that the testing
> computer sends back to the state.) The Car then will be "Tagged" and
> future smog tests would have to be at a Certified Test Only Station if
> you are lucky, If you aren't your Car may be Tagged as a "gross
> Poluter" then you are screwed. Oh, and the idiot that smogged your
> car in the first place, He would have lost his license because he has
> just been targeted By the B.A.R.'s enforcment division and they will
> send in a couple tricked out cars to see if he catches them which he
> won't.

Here are the basic ARB/BAR engine replacement guidelines:

<<
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage....s-Jan_1994.htm

This website also links to a database of ARB approved aftermarket parts
or engine mod kits.

You can deviate from "stock" in California but the "hassle factor" is
unreal. If an engine swap or mod has been done well and you know you'll
pass "functional" and "exhaust" emissions, here's an approach:

Once the car has failed "viaual" at a certified test station, you can
appeal and make an appointment at a "referee" station. These guys are
contractors of the B.A.R. and are there to sort out "special cases."
They won't look at "gross polluters" or "butchered systems" (missing CAT
etc.) or major changes in rear axle (final drive) ratio.

The important thing is to not have a chip on your shoulder. Keep a
positive and co-operative attitude! Be a "good sheep" and do what
you're told!

Referees handle situations where there's a question about an approved
part number to make a particular engine work in a given car; or, when
the Air Resources Board has approved an "off road" component for street
use. (Remember that aftermarket and performance parts are a big
business in California and the state is politically sensitive to the
guys who design, make and sell aftermarket and performance parts.)

The referees go pretty much on what the manufacturer's parts depot says
for visual inspection. Bring a copy of the parts catalog pages, a
letter from the parts depot that says a particular part does the
emissions job on the VIN number in question, etc. Carry along the phone
number of the person who wrote the letter. Once the "visual" hurdle is
crossed, the referee will run a "funcitonal" check and a complete
exhaust gas analysis on the car. If all goes well, you'll be issued a
two year smog certificate. Two years later, you go through the whole
routine again. (Go to a certified station, fail visual, make an
appointment, drive 50 - 75 miles to an appointment at the referee
station, wait your turn etc. etc.) Passing "visual" at a referee
station is no guarantee that the same car and engine will pass two years
later. There's always uncertainty.

I put a "gray market" 911 through this routine three times in seven
years. Finally gave in, sold the 911 in New Mexico and bought my C4.
Much happier now!

--
PJ
'89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe
Old September 3rd 06, 03:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
The Reverend Natural Light

I'm only familiar with Virginia, which I thought followed the federal
rules:

- Same year or newer engine.
- Car engine for a car.
- Car or truck engine for a truck.
- All emissions control components from either the car or the engine,
but not both.

In reality, they never look at serial numbers nor would an inspector
even know what to do with one. It's interesting that if you put an LS1
in a 1967 Camaro, it will have to have a catalytic converter. Even
though the LS1 alone will pollute 90% less (guessing) than the original
engine, it has to go in as a complete package.

-rev