E34 Touring interior light question

Old May 11th 06, 08:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E34 Touring interior light question

Another newcomer question about the 1992 525i Touring I bought
recently:

Next to the rear seats on each side, there is one of these:

http://members.shaw.ca/michael.popla...rear-light.jpg

As far as I can tell:

it's a light
it doesn't light up (neither side)

Are they actually lights, and what would it take to have them light
up? Or are they something else?

--
Mike Poplawski
Victoria, BC Canada

Old May 12th 06, 01:38 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Another newcomer question about the 1992 525i Touring I bought
> recently:
>
> Next to the rear seats on each side, there is one of these:
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/michael.popla...rear-light.jpg
>
> As far as I can tell:
>
> it's a light
> it doesn't light up (neither side)
>
> Are they actually lights, and what would it take to have them light
> up? Or are they something else?

I would say they are lights.
My E34 saloon/sedan has a similar pair, which light up along with the roof
light when a door is opened.
Mike.

Old May 12th 06, 08:53 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

In article .com>,
> wrote:
> As far as I can tell:

> it's a light
> it doesn't light up (neither side)

First thing to do is check the bulbs as both may have blown. Before
assuming it's a wiring fault. ;-)

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 12th 06, 09:47 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Another newcomer question about the 1992 525i Touring I bought
> recently:
>
> Next to the rear seats on each side, there is one of these:
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/michael.popla...rear-light.jpg
>
> As far as I can tell:
>
> it's a light
> it doesn't light up (neither side)
>
> Are they actually lights, and what would it take to have them light
> up? Or are they something else?
>
> --
> Mike Poplawski
> Victoria, BC Canada

Poor shot.

In a 7, the light has a switch. Depending on the model, when it is off and
the centre light is on then it may come on when the door opens. If it is on
and the centre light is one then it will come on when the door opens. If it
is on and the ignition is on then it will come on as a reading light for the
rear passenger. Later models have separate bulbs.

In the touring it may be illumination for the rear, in which case expect it
to come on when the tailgate is open.

Check

bulb
switch settings
fuses
door switches
wiring

Old May 14th 06, 07:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>
>>As far as I can tell:

>>it's a light
>>it doesn't light up (neither side)

> First thing to do is check the bulbs as both may have blown. Before
> assuming it's a wiring fault. ;-)

No, the first thing to do is check the position of the interior light
switch. It has three positions: On, Off and On only when doors open.

Oh, and RTFM.

--
-Fred W
Old May 16th 06, 01:06 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Fred W wrote:
> No, the first thing to do is check the position of the interior light
> switch. It has three positions: On, Off and On only when doors open.

My '92 5 Touring has four lights with three-position switches built
into them. Three of them in the front (two map reading lights and a
central light) and one in the rear (cargo area light).

> Oh, and RTFM.

My 5 Series manual tells me that the rear map reading lights have
switches. That may be true for the sedan, but for the Touring, there
are no switches that I could find, nor does the supplemental Touring
manual cover them.

I ended up pulling the light assemblies out of the ceiling and looking
them over. Apparently, there is nothing wrong with the bulbs--new bulbs
from an auto parts shop did not illuminate. I'll talk to the repair
shop when I take the car in for service, but I'm open to more
suggestions. I find it a little odd that both lights are not
functioning, but of course, the car is 14 years old, and the previous
owners may not have been carrying rear seat passengers. They may not
have been working for years.

--
Michael Poplawski
Victoria, BC