Replacing bulbs in air con dials in 147

Old January 3rd 07, 09:31 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Wannadivenotwork

Default Replacing bulbs in air con dials in 147

Evening all.

I have a 2003 147 Sportivo (import - Lusso thingy) that has the 3 basic
manual air con dials rather than the Lusso bioclimate controls.

The problem is that the bulbs that illuminate the dials at night have
now gone in all three dials. Over the last year, they have gradually
died one by one! I want to replace them, but I don't see any obvious
way of getting behind the dials to change the bulbs.

incidentially, it is only the illumination lights that have blown, and
not the heated rear screen and aircon "on" light - these are working
OK.

Anyone help?

Thanks!

Steve

Old January 4th 07, 07:42 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Stephen Poley

On 3 Jan 2007 12:31:40 -0800, "Wannadivenotwork"
> wrote:

>I have a 2003 147 Sportivo (import - Lusso thingy) that has the 3 basic
>manual air con dials rather than the Lusso bioclimate controls.
>
>The problem is that the bulbs that illuminate the dials at night have
>now gone in all three dials. Over the last year, they have gradually
>died one by one! I want to replace them, but I don't see any obvious
>way of getting behind the dials to change the bulbs.
>
>incidentially, it is only the illumination lights that have blown, and
>not the heated rear screen and aircon "on" light - these are working
>OK.

If the 147 is like the 146 you'll need to remove the whole dashboard to
get at the lamps.

--
Stephen Poley
Old January 4th 07, 02:33 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Wannadivenotwork

> If the 147 is like the 146 you'll need to remove the whole dashboard to
> get at the lamps.
>
> --
> Stephen Poley

Yes, you're right - got the dashboard off and removed the bulbs, but
now I can't find any replacements anywhere! Anyone have any idea's?

Old January 4th 07, 06:20 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Wannadivenotwork wrote:
>> If the 147 is like the 146 you'll need to remove the whole dashboard to
>> get at the lamps.
>>
>> --
>> Stephen Poley

> Yes, you're right - got the dashboard off and removed the bulbs, but
> now I can't find any replacements anywhere! Anyone have any idea's?

www.maplin.co.uk

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old January 4th 07, 08:04 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Wannadivenotwork

> www.maplin.co.uk

Tried Maplins - no good. In the end, I bought 3 wire bulbs online, and
unsoldered the old ones, took them out and resoldered the new ones.
Took 10 Minutes the fix the bulbs, and 10 minutes to open/close
dashboard.

Worked a treat and only cost me £4!

Better than the £80 I was quoted by Alfa!

Old January 5th 07, 07:12 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Wannadivenotwork wrote:
>> www.maplin.co.uk
>>

> Tried Maplins - no good. In the end, I bought 3 wire bulbs online, and
> unsoldered the old ones, took them out and resoldered the new ones.
> Took 10 Minutes the fix the bulbs, and 10 minutes to open/close
> dashboard.
>
> Worked a treat and only cost me £4!
>
> Better than the £80 I was quoted by Alfa!

Nice job

Old January 5th 07, 10:51 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
davea

Hi

My 147 needs these bulbs replaced as well. Can you tell me where you
got the bulbs from online? Alfa garage would charge me 1 hours labour +
VAT for doing this so going to do it myself.

Old January 5th 07, 12:00 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Wannadivenotwork

davea wrote:
> Hi
>
> My 147 needs these bulbs replaced as well. Can you tell me where you
> got the bulbs from online? Alfa garage would charge me 1 hours labour +
> VAT for doing this so going to do it myself.

www.dashlights.co.uk

part number: 7219 @ 99p each - clear 3mm wirelegged .72 watts

Get a coathanger and cut 2 10inch strips. bend each strip into a U and
insert into each pair of holes in stereo. Pull out stereo. Disconnect
the leads.
The money tray and drinks holder slides out (with "wiggle")
Two allen bolts hold in the bottom part of the dash. remove and gently
ease out.

Disconnect the flip connectors.

The bulbs are the free large holes. Use a scredriver to twist and
unlock. They will drop out.

The bulbs are soldered onto two metal contacts. Best way to remove is
to ease up the metal on the lamp side and then wiggle gently to come
away from lap wire (do not snap them) then using a soldering iron, met
the solder to remove any trace of old wire.

Then, simply cut back the wire on the new bulbs so it matches (1/2mm
longer) the the length on the old bulbs, inser into plastic housing,
and then reattache the metal connectors. Quick solder to secure and
make good connection.

Then slap it back together. You might want to check the bulbs work
before fitting the whole dash together, by reconnecting the flip
connectors and turning the lights on.

Hey presto - you saved yourself a pack of money, a journey to the alfa
garage, and in turn excericed your manly ability to fix something! Oh,
make sure the stero is horizontal when you slide it back in, otherwise
it won't go in properly.

After doing this, I realised how easy it is for people to steal the
radio!!

HTH

Steve