Testing/Demoing iRacing?

Old May 19th 09, 11:42 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

Default Testing/Demoing iRacing?

Is there any means to test out iRacing on a PC to see how the specs will
hold up beyond actually paying for a monthly subscription?
At this point I'm merely interested to see what the quality of iRacing is
under my setup before I decide if I'm interested in running fulltime or not.

Old May 20th 09, 07:19 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Domagoj Malovic

"schooner" > wrote in message
> Is there any means to test out iRacing on a PC to see how the specs will
> hold up beyond actually paying for a monthly subscription?
> At this point I'm merely interested to see what the quality of iRacing is
> under my setup before I decide if I'm interested in running fulltime or
> not.

Not legally, if you know what I mean

Old May 20th 09, 07:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

>> Is there any means to test out iRacing on a PC to see how the specs will hold up beyond actually paying for a monthly
>> subscription?

> Not legally, if you know what I mean

What happened to the free monthly trial where you have to terminate
the service before the month is up in order to avoid getting billed?

Old May 20th 09, 08:41 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Andrew MacPherson[_2_]

(jeffareid) wrote:

> What happened to the free monthly trial where you have to terminate
> the service before the month is up in order to avoid getting
> billed?

I'm not sure if this still works...

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/racing/virtual-racing

It has to be worth the risk of a bit of Radical spam to find out.

Andrew McP

PS There is a torrent around of an earlier version, but I'm not sure you get a
taste for the iRacing experience without the online racing. I think it's fair to
say that nobody is arguing about the quality of the simulation experience, so you
can take that for granted, making the pirate version pretty irrelevant. The debate
continues to be about the service they've wrapped around the code. Only signing up
will tell you whether you can stomach that or not.

Old May 20th 09, 10:16 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
schooner

"Andrew MacPherson" > wrote in message
> (jeffareid) wrote:
>
>> What happened to the free monthly trial where you have to terminate
>> the service before the month is up in order to avoid getting
>> billed?

> I'm not sure if this still works...

http://www.radicalsportscars.com/racing/virtual-racing

> It has to be worth the risk of a bit of Radical spam to find out.
>
> Andrew McP
>
> PS There is a torrent around of an earlier version, but I'm not sure you
> get a
> taste for the iRacing experience without the online racing. I think it's
> fair to
> say that nobody is arguing about the quality of the simulation experience,
> so you
> can take that for granted, making the pirate version pretty irrelevant.
> The debate
> continues to be about the service they've wrapped around the code. Only
> signing up
> will tell you whether you can stomach that or not.

Ok thanks. Not really wanting to pay out a month fee to find out with 10
mins I don't like it or I need a new PC to support it properly. Tried the
radical signup but nothing so far. If they want to get people involved a
week or month trial would be nice.

Old May 20th 09, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Will Bradshaw

schooner wrote:
> Is there any means to test out iRacing on a PC to see how the specs will
> hold up beyond actually paying for a monthly subscription?
> At this point I'm merely interested to see what the quality of iRacing
> is under my setup before I decide if I'm interested in running fulltime
> or not.

That's my big complaint, too. They should have at least a demo of one
base car and track.

That said, you can check some popular bit torrent search sites. On two
of those I was able to find an older version which appears to be used
for offline use only.

Seems like a start if you want to check system requirements. Of course
downloading it would technically be illegal....

-Will
Old May 20th 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> Of course downloading it would technically be illegal....

The laws depend on where you live if the purpose is to simply
test the software to see if it runs properly. There seems to be
a conflict between "fair use" and "copyright" laws, that differ
depending on where you live:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use