A4 Tire recommendations

Old October 5th 05, 01:03 AM
Haywood

Default A4 Tire recommendations

My 2001 A4 (1.8T) needs tires, again. I would love to hear from owners about
the luck you have with various tires. How they perform and why you
like/dislike them. TIA
Old October 5th 05, 01:15 AM
Pete

"Haywood" wrote
> My 2001 A4 (1.8T) needs tires, again. I would love to hear from
> owners about
> the luck you have with various tires. How they perform and why you
> like/dislike them. TIA

Mind telling us if this is all-season or summer tires you need, so that
we're on the right track? Size would be useful, too, as not all tires
come in all sizes.

FYI, for general opinions on various tires, the easiest thing to do is
go over to www.tirerack.com and read owner's reviews - you can even
filter it by car model, driving style, and driving conditions.

Pete

Old October 5th 05, 10:23 AM
Haywood

In article >, says...

> "Haywood" wrote
> > My 2001 A4 (1.8T) needs tires, again. I would love to hear from
> > owners about
> > the luck you have with various tires. How they perform and why you
> > like/dislike them. TIA

> Mind telling us if this is all-season or summer tires you need, so that
> we're on the right track? Size would be useful, too, as not all tires
> come in all sizes.
>
> FYI, for general opinions on various tires, the easiest thing to do is
> go over to
www.tirerack.com and read owner's reviews - you can even
> filter it by car model, driving style, and driving conditions.
>
> Pete

Sorry, I need all season tires. I haven't checked the size..I assume most
A4 owners would use the same size; within a size or two?
Old October 5th 05, 04:48 PM
Peter

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:23:59 GMT, Haywood >
wrote:

>Sorry, I need all season tires. I haven't checked the size..I assume most
>A4 owners would use the same size; within a size or two?

Big assumption and not, I suspect, correct. My A4 3.0q seems to take a
very peculiar size - I can only find three manufacturers that sell
them in the UK (Michelin, Dunlop and Continental), and at GBP150 each.
I wouldn't mind betting that you'll have a wider choice at a lower
price.

Peter.
Old October 5th 05, 05:29 PM
Pete

"Peter" wrote

> Big assumption and not, I suspect, correct.

Yeah. In the US, depending on options as well as which part of 2001 model
year (2001 or 2001.5), he could have either one of these 3 sizes:

205/60/15
205/55/16
225/45/17

Haywood, pardon my directness, but wanting to purchase tires and not knowing
their specs is kind of like trying to buy shoes not knowing your foot size.

> My A4 3.0q seems to take a
> very peculiar size - I can only find three manufacturers that sell
> them in the UK (Michelin, Dunlop and Continental), and at GBP150 each.
> I wouldn't mind betting that you'll have a wider choice at a lower
> price.

235/45/17? Yeah, plenty of tires in that size available in the US, some as
low as $100 each.

Cheers,

Pete

Old October 5th 05, 07:27 PM
Richard Goulding

"Peter" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:23:59 GMT, Haywood >
> wrote:
>
> >Sorry, I need all season tires. I haven't checked the size..I assume

most
> >A4 owners would use the same size; within a size or two?

> Big assumption and not, I suspect, correct. My A4 3.0q seems to take a
> very peculiar size - I can only find three manufacturers that sell
> them in the UK (Michelin, Dunlop and Continental), and at GBP150 each.
> I wouldn't mind betting that you'll have a wider choice at a lower
> price.

I have a B5 A4 2.8q which I believe is the older version of your car and one
of its advantages (for a car of its type) is that it takes relatively
inexpensive tyres. I just paid £280ukp for 4 Dunlop SP Sports tyres.

Richard

Old October 6th 05, 07:39 AM
Peter

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 19:27:41 +0100, "Richard Goulding"
> wrote:

>I have a B5 A4 2.8q which I believe is the older version of your car

Yup, that's right

>and one
>of its advantages (for a car of its type) is that it takes relatively
>inexpensive tyres. I just paid £280ukp for 4 Dunlop SP Sports tyres.

I wish!

Tell me, how do you find the Dunlops? I've got Michelin on the car at
the moment, but know that they'll need replacing soon. I really don't
like Michelin - never have. Boy, you should hear them squeal on
corners! (And no, I don't really push it - I do nothing that I didn't
do with no trouble at all in the Bridgestone-shod BMW that I had
before.)

Peter.
Old October 6th 05, 07:54 AM
Peter

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:29:29 -0400, "Pete" >
wrote:

>"Peter" wrote

>> My A4 3.0q seems to take a
>> very peculiar size - I can only find three manufacturers that sell
>> them in the UK (Michelin, Dunlop and Continental), and at GBP150 each.
>> I wouldn't mind betting that you'll have a wider choice at a lower
>> price.

>235/45/17? Yeah, plenty of tires in that size available in the US, some as
>low as $100 each.

No, mine are only 215/55 16 Y. Hardly any here - wish I could get them
for USD100! (The difficulty seems to be in finding any with that 'Y'
speed rating.)

Peter.
Old October 6th 05, 10:46 AM
Richard Goulding

"Peter" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 19:27:41 +0100, "Richard Goulding"
> > wrote:
>
> >I have a B5 A4 2.8q which I believe is the older version of your car

> Yup, that's right
>
> >and one
> >of its advantages (for a car of its type) is that it takes relatively
> >inexpensive tyres. I just paid £280ukp for 4 Dunlop SP Sports tyres.

> I wish!
>
> Tell me, how do you find the Dunlops? I've got Michelin on the car at
> the moment, but know that they'll need replacing soon. I really don't
> like Michelin - never have. Boy, you should hear them squeal on
> corners! (And no, I don't really push it - I do nothing that I didn't
> do with no trouble at all in the Bridgestone-shod BMW that I had
> before.)

I bought the Dunlops because they were OEM spec tyres. They seem to be long
lasting at about 25-30000 miles. I drive sedately so don't really notice
squeal at all. I never have a problem with grip in wet or drive (probably
the way I drive). They are reasonably quiet compared to the Pirelli P6000 or
the Avons I had in the past. The Avons did last a long time though.

Hope this helps.

Richard

'03 GLI Summer Tire Recommendations? lazar, z VW water cooled 3 April 2nd 05 08:39 PM
65 tire recommendations bad65 Corvette 6 November 29th 04 10:53 PM
19 inch tire recommendations LIW Audi 0 November 25th 04 06:31 PM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 03:42 AM