'96 Saturn SL1 sluggish in warm weather?

Old June 7th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default '96 Saturn SL1 sluggish in warm weather?

OK, here's the deal. I own an automatic transmission 1996 Saturn SL1
with 116K miles on it. In the winter, it runs great, on a cold start
(although I don't do this) I can floor it and it picks up great. Once
summer comes around, the car is incredibly sluggish (no, I don't have
the AC on) and when I use my automatic shifter from D to 2 or 3, you
can shift the shifter, and nothing actually happens, at any speed I try
it at. That makes me wonder if it's a trans problem. In the winter it
works fine. In the summer, I can literally floor it and hardly move at
all. This has happened all three summers that I have owned it. Anyone
have ANY idea of why this is happening? Is this a trans problem?

Old June 7th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On 7 Jun 2006 10:41:54 -0700, "murtman" >
wrote:

>OK, here's the deal. I own an automatic transmission 1996 Saturn SL1
>with 116K miles on it. In the winter, it runs great, on a cold start
>(although I don't do this) I can floor it and it picks up great. Once
>summer comes around, the car is incredibly sluggish (no, I don't have
>the AC on) and when I use my automatic shifter from D to 2 or 3, you
>can shift the shifter, and nothing actually happens, at any speed I try
>it at. That makes me wonder if it's a trans problem. In the winter it
>works fine. In the summer, I can literally floor it and hardly move at
>all. This has happened all three summers that I have owned it. Anyone
>have ANY idea of why this is happening? Is this a trans problem?

Try better gas, GM uses a knock control system on that engine that can
retard spark a lot and realy kill performance to control knock before
you hear it. (octane requirement increase with tempature and increase
with age as deposits build up in combustion chamber and increase
effective CR ratio. My duaghter has a 97 with 120 K and it runs a lot
better on 89 or better in summer months.
-----------------
The SnoMan
www.thesnoman.com
Old June 7th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

wrote:

>OK, here's the deal. I own an automatic transmission 1996 Saturn SL1
>with 116K miles on it. In the winter, it runs great, on a cold start
>(although I don't do this) I can floor it and it picks up great. Once
>summer comes around, the car is incredibly sluggish (no, I don't have
>the AC on) and when I use my automatic shifter from D to 2 or 3, you
>can shift the shifter, and nothing actually happens, at any speed I try
>it at. That makes me wonder if it's a trans problem. In the winter it
>works fine. In the summer, I can literally floor it and hardly move at
>all. This has happened all three summers that I have owned it. Anyone
>have ANY idea of why this is happening? Is this a trans problem?

Sounds like a complicated issue. In the summer times I had the worst
performance with my 97SL2, but that usually involved with stalling,
and rough starts. I changed all my wires and plugs, some improvement,
the CTS, reall good improvement, but the rough starts were a real
problem. I complained to my Saturn dealerships for 3 years before
they found the problem, faulty fuel pump. They were so troubled by
the fact that my sykmptoms never changed but it took several years to
indifey it, they gave me a cost break on the replacement. Since then
Summers have been a-ok.

Moral of the story, take it to the dealer and let them check it out.
Better than getting caught on the side of the road stalled.

good luck,

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Old June 8th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

murtman wrote:
> OK, here's the deal. I own an automatic transmission 1996 Saturn SL1
> with 116K miles on it. In the winter, it runs great, on a cold start
> (although I don't do this) I can floor it and it picks up great. Once
> summer comes around, the car is incredibly sluggish (no, I don't have
> the AC on) and when I use my automatic shifter from D to 2 or 3, you
> can shift the shifter, and nothing actually happens, at any speed I try
> it at. That makes me wonder if it's a trans problem. In the winter it
> works fine. In the summer, I can literally floor it and hardly move at
> all. This has happened all three summers that I have owned it. Anyone
> have ANY idea of why this is happening? Is this a trans problem?

I would be checking your transmission fluid level and even changing it
and the filter to start with.. almost sound like the car is in 3rd gear
when it is hot!!

Old June 8th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I have a 1995 SL1 (140k miles )and had a similar problem last summer. The
car would not shift into 4th gear (automatic). I took it to the dealer and
they found I had a faulty temperature sensor! Who would have thought that
would keep the car from shifting into a higher gear? It might be something
you want to check out.

Old June 9th 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Patrick Melberg wrote:
> I have a 1995 SL1 (140k miles )and had a similar problem last summer. The
> car would not shift into 4th gear (automatic). I took it to the dealer and
> they found I had a faulty temperature sensor! Who would have thought that
> would keep the car from shifting into a higher gear? It might be something
> you want to check out.

I believe you mean the torque converter wouldn't lock up. The engine
computer won't allow it to lock up until the engine reaches a certain
temperture. I had a similar problem on my 92 SC.

Old June 9th 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Old June 11th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

SEE... I've been preaching everywhere about the darn thing!
To the PCM, the WORLD revolves around the temperature
sensors!
-WaV