What is the purpose of car tachometer

Old July 14th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Jayprakash

Default What is the purpose of car tachometer

I want to decide whether to buy a car with tachometer. What is purpose
of tachometer? How will I be able to use it?

I know that tachometer is used to show engine rpm and that one should
not drive in "red rpms". I want to know more than this.

Will tachometer help me improve fuel efficiency?

Old July 14th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Jayprakash" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I want to decide whether to buy a car with tachometer. What is purpose
> of tachometer? How will I be able to use it?
>
> I know that tachometer is used to show engine rpm and that one should
> not drive in "red rpms". I want to know more than this.
>
> Will tachometer help me improve fuel efficiency?

For most people, the tachometer is to make them feel that they have bought a
sporty car.
Certainly, you should avoid driving above the red line if you want the car
to have a
chance of lasting. And, if you keep the engine in its most economical RPM
range (which
you will probably have to determine yourself), it can help you conserve
fuel.

Drove my father-in.law's little Sonoma pickup with the 4 cylinder engine the
other day.
Even it has a tach. I noticed that this little gas gobbler revs up to 5000
or more going up
hills.

Old July 14th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Jayprakash" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I want to decide whether to buy a car with tachometer. What is purpose
> of tachometer? How will I be able to use it?
>
> I know that tachometer is used to show engine rpm and that one should
> not drive in "red rpms". I want to know more than this.
>
> Will tachometer help me improve fuel efficiency?

Deciding to have a tachometer is a bit like deciding weather or not you
would like to have oil pressure and temperature gages rather than warning
lights. The tachometer provides information that you can use if you want to,
but certainly isn't necessary to have, unless you plan on using the
information to monitor you driving habits and conditions. Occasionally you
may find it handy to reassure yourself that the engine is indeed idling at
the proper rpm even though is sounds a little different for some reason or
another. It can come in handy as a built in diagnostic tool. For instance,
if you were checking you A/C pressures and the repair manual said to operate
the engine at 2,000 rpm while taking a reading, you would not have to hook
up a hand held tachometer because you could just use the one already built
in to the instrument panel. You could possibly improve you fuel economy by
driving in a manner that allowed your transmission to up-shift at lower
rpms. You might do that by listening to the engine to determine approximate
rpms, but having a tachometer would make it easier and more precise. Having
a tachometer can offer a little extra piece of mind and add to the overall
enjoyment of driving.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 14th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
larry moe 'n curly

Kevin wrote:

> Deciding to have a tachometer is a bit like deciding weather or not you
> would like to have oil pressure and temperature gages rather than warning
> lights.

I don't understand why some car makers include tachs as standard
equipment with automatics transmissions but not with manuals. I have
an automatic and wish Ford had provided oil and electrical guages
instead of a useless tach.

Old July 14th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

Jayprakash wrote:
> I want to decide whether to buy a car with tachometer. What is purpose
> of tachometer? How will I be able to use it?

It is visual entertainment for the otherwise bored driver. You can
watch the needle increase to 3,000 rpm and drop back by 500 rpm as the
5 speed automatic with torque convertor lockup changes gears repeatedly
in traffic. Kind of like watching a flickering lights on a cable
modem. Or, as you are cruising down the interstate at 70mph you can
marvel at how the needle stays pegged at 2,700 rpm mile after mile
after mile after mile.

It is also visual proof that the 4 door sedan is somehow a sporty car
or it can provide the driver with proof he is a sporty driver.

> I know that tachometer is used to show engine rpm and that one should
> not drive in "red rpms". I want to know more than this.
>
> Will tachometer help me improve fuel efficiency?

Not really. If you car is an automatic then all you have to do is to
concentrate on holding as steady a speed as possible, use engine
braking where possible and avoid rapid starts. And keep the tire
pressure set properly and at the high recommendation in all 4 wheels.

If you have an increasingly rare manual transmission then the above
rules automatics apply, plus you should upshift as quickly as possible,
consistent with acceleration needs.

Old July 14th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Bruder

In article . com>,
"larry moe 'n curly" > wrote:

> Kevin wrote:
>
> > Deciding to have a tachometer is a bit like deciding weather or not you
> > would like to have oil pressure and temperature gages rather than warning
> > lights.

> I don't understand why some car makers include tachs as standard
> equipment with automatics transmissions but not with manuals. I have
> an automatic and wish Ford had provided oil and electrical guages
> instead of a useless tach.

I'll ditto that... A tach SHOULD be standard in a stick-mobile,
Absolutely. On an automatic? Explain to me the point?

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old July 14th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Don Bruder wrote:

> In article . com>,
> "larry moe 'n curly" > wrote:
>
> > Kevin wrote:
> >
> > > Deciding to have a tachometer is a bit like deciding weather or not you
> > > would like to have oil pressure and temperature gages rather than warning
> > > lights.

> > I don't understand why some car makers include tachs as standard
> > equipment with automatics transmissions but not with manuals. I have
> > an automatic and wish Ford had provided oil and electrical guages
> > instead of a useless tach.
> >

> I'll ditto that... A tach SHOULD be standard in a stick-mobile,
> Absolutely. On an automatic? Explain to me the point?
>
> --
> Don Bruder -

Well most automatics have a gear shifter and I will guarantee that I
have used all the shifter allowed gears on any automatic I have owned
because I drive on snow and dirt or mud a lot, so knowing how fast the
engine is spinning say in 1st or 2nd is actually a useful tool for me.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old July 14th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Don Bruder" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> "larry moe 'n curly" > wrote:
>
> > Kevin wrote:
> >
> > > Deciding to have a tachometer is a bit like deciding weather or not

you
> > > would like to have oil pressure and temperature gages rather than

warning
> > > lights.

> > I don't understand why some car makers include tachs as standard
> > equipment with automatics transmissions but not with manuals. I have
> > an automatic and wish Ford had provided oil and electrical guages
> > instead of a useless tach.
> >

> I'll ditto that... A tach SHOULD be standard in a stick-mobile,
> Absolutely. On an automatic? Explain to me the point?

Well Don, even on an automatic transmission equiped vehicle, the driver can
look down at his tachometer say say to himself with great confidence "Ah
yes, my engine realy is running!" and for some, that produces a feeling of
inner peace.

But you know, even though I can't put my finger on why, I always liked
having a tach, even on my automatic transmission vehicles. Guess for the
same reason I like having manual gauges also?

Kevin

Old July 14th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Bruder

In article <5CQtg.66488$9c6.9593@dukeread11>,
"Kevin" > wrote:

> "Don Bruder" > wrote in message
> > In article . com>,

> you

> warning
> > >
> > > I don't understand why some car makers include tachs as standard
> > > equipment with automatics transmissions but not with manuals. I have
> > > an automatic and wish Ford had provided oil and electrical guages
> > > instead of a useless tach.
> > >

> > I'll ditto that... A tach SHOULD be standard in a stick-mobile,
> > Absolutely. On an automatic? Explain to me the point?
> >

> Well Don, even on an automatic transmission equiped vehicle, the driver can
> look down at his tachometer say say to himself with great confidence "Ah
> yes, my engine realy is running!" and for some, that produces a feeling of
> inner peace.

Easier/cheaper way: Knock a hole in the exhaust so you can hear the
beast within

> But you know, even though I can't put my finger on why, I always liked
> having a tach, even on my automatic transmission vehicles. Guess for the
> same reason I like having manual gauges also?

I ain't knockin' tachs... Don't read me wrong. I just can't see a whole
helluva lotta point to having one in an automatic as "standard".
Standard (mandatory, if ya ask me) on a stick, for sure. But standard on
an auto??? Idunno... maybe it's just me, stick-bias, or whatever, but it
seems to me that it's a reasonable *OPTION* on an automatic. It's having
it come standard on an auto, yet optional on a stick that bunches my
undies as "totally counterintuitive".

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old July 14th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected][_1_]

wrote:
> "Jayprakash" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I want to decide whether to buy a car with tachometer. What is purpose
> > of tachometer? How will I be able to use it?
> >
> > I know that tachometer is used to show engine rpm and that one should
> > not drive in "red rpms". I want to know more than this.
> >
> > Will tachometer help me improve fuel efficiency?

> For most people, the tachometer is to make them feel that they have bought a
> sporty car.
> Certainly, you should avoid driving above the red line if you want the car
> to have a
> chance of lasting. And, if you keep the engine in its most economical RPM
> range (which
> you will probably have to determine yourself), it can help you conserve
> fuel.
>
> Drove my father-in.law's little Sonoma pickup with the 4 cylinder engine the
> other day.
> Even it has a tach. I noticed that this little gas gobbler revs up to 5000
> or more going up
> hills.

I had a 94 S-10 single cab SWB with the 4.3 non-vortec V6 and it came
without a tachometer, and I had a 5 speed manual. Although it did have
an annoying shift light in the cluster that would come on when it
thought you needed to shift.

I ended up putting an aftermarket tach on it. To this day I miss that
little truck. Even without the vortec it was a blast to drive and would
melt the right rear tire (no posi).

I know have a 2000 Mazda Millenia with a 4 speed automatic, of course
with a tach. The little 2.5L V6 does its best, but most of the time it
sits in the 3K+ range just to keep up with traffic. It redlines at 7K
or so, but only in 1st gear. At 80Mph it sitting right at 3.5K RPMs.

I like having the tach on it so I know when it's getting good mileage,
generally at 3K or below on the interstate. Also it has a manual gear
selector and it will rev alway to the limiter if you let it.