Can't get my C.E.L. flash code!!

Old January 17th 05, 03:33 AM
Lyle_s

Default Can't get my C.E.L. flash code!!

Hi, my check engine light has been on for the past few days and, while
the car ('93 325i) is running flawlessly, I would like to know what my
car is trying to tell me.

I've seen many postings with directions on how to obtain the flash code
for the check engine light using the gas pedal. I've tried this
multiple times but I can't get the darn C.E.L. light to flash. I think
I've tried every possible variation of flooring the pedal 5 times
within 5 seconds while the ignition is in the on position but no flash.

Am I missing something? I've read that any car made previous to 1996
has the ability to obtain the code with the gas pedal.

Thanks,

Lyle

Old January 17th 05, 03:24 PM
The Malt Hound

"Lyle_s" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, my check engine light has been on for the past few days and, while
> the car ('93 325i) is running flawlessly, I would like to know what my
> car is trying to tell me.
>
> I've seen many postings with directions on how to obtain the flash code
> for the check engine light using the gas pedal. I've tried this
> multiple times but I can't get the darn C.E.L. light to flash. I think
> I've tried every possible variation of flooring the pedal 5 times
> within 5 seconds while the ignition is in the on position but no flash.
>
> Am I missing something? I've read that any car made previous to 1996
> has the ability to obtain the code with the gas pedal.

Lyle,

When you turn on the key it must go to position 2 (not position 1) ie. where
it would normally go after you start the engine. You then must fully
depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.

If it does not take it may be that the TPS (Throttle Position Switch) is
bad. This switch assembly has contact for throttle fully closed and
throttle fully open. This is what the ECU is watching to put the firmware
into the code flash mode.

Hope that helps,
Fred W

Old January 17th 05, 03:36 PM
JB

"The Malt Hound" <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Lyle_s" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi, my check engine light has been on for the past few days and, while
> > the car ('93 325i) is running flawlessly, I would like to know what my
> > car is trying to tell me.
> >
> > I've seen many postings with directions on how to obtain the flash code
> > for the check engine light using the gas pedal. I've tried this
> > multiple times but I can't get the darn C.E.L. light to flash. I think
> > I've tried every possible variation of flooring the pedal 5 times
> > within 5 seconds while the ignition is in the on position but no flash.
> >
> > Am I missing something? I've read that any car made previous to 1996
> > has the ability to obtain the code with the gas pedal.

> Lyle,
>
> When you turn on the key it must go to position 2 (not position 1) ie.

where
> it would normally go after you start the engine. You then must fully
> depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
>
> If it does not take it may be that the TPS (Throttle Position Switch) is
> bad. This switch assembly has contact for throttle fully closed and
> throttle fully open. This is what the ECU is watching to put the firmware
> into the code flash mode.

Should this also work on a base model E34 520i 1992? I've tried but to no
avail.

JB

Old January 17th 05, 03:59 PM
The Malt Hound

"JB" > wrote in message

> "The Malt Hound" <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Lyle_s" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Hi, my check engine light has been on for the past few days and, while
>> > the car ('93 325i) is running flawlessly, I would like to know what my
>> > car is trying to tell me.
>> >
>> > I've seen many postings with directions on how to obtain the flash code
>> > for the check engine light using the gas pedal. I've tried this
>> > multiple times but I can't get the darn C.E.L. light to flash. I think
>> > I've tried every possible variation of flooring the pedal 5 times
>> > within 5 seconds while the ignition is in the on position but no flash.
>> >
>> > Am I missing something? I've read that any car made previous to 1996
>> > has the ability to obtain the code with the gas pedal.

>> Lyle,
>>
>> When you turn on the key it must go to position 2 (not position 1) ie.

> where
>> it would normally go after you start the engine. You then must fully
>> depress and release the accelerator pedal 5 times.
>>
>> If it does not take it may be that the TPS (Throttle Position Switch) is
>> bad. This switch assembly has contact for throttle fully closed and
>> throttle fully open. This is what the ECU is watching to put the
>> firmware
>> into the code flash mode.
>>

> Should this also work on a base model E34 520i 1992? I've tried but to no
> avail.
>
> JB

Not sure about that, but I believe so.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm

I do know that it works on my '94 E34.

-Fred W

Old January 17th 05, 09:09 PM
Lyle_s

Thanks Fred.

I had the ignition in position 2 so I guess I had that right. Assuming
that the TPS is bad, are there reprocussions beyond not being able to
receive the flash code?

Old January 17th 05, 09:14 PM
The Malt Hound

"Lyle_s" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks Fred.
>
> I had the ignition in position 2 so I guess I had that right. Assuming
> that the TPS is bad, are there reprocussions beyond not being able to
> receive the flash code?

I would imagine, yes, especially if it is the "idle position" switch since
you are much more commonly in that state than WOT. Exactly what those
symptoms would be I do not know. Should be pretty easy to check it out
though with a meter.

-Fred W

Old January 18th 05, 10:27 AM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Lyle_s" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, my check engine light has been on for the past few days and, while
> the car ('93 325i) is running flawlessly, I would like to know what my
> car is trying to tell me.
>
> I've seen many postings with directions on how to obtain the flash code
> for the check engine light using the gas pedal. I've tried this
> multiple times but I can't get the darn C.E.L. light to flash. I think
> I've tried every possible variation of flooring the pedal 5 times
> within 5 seconds while the ignition is in the on position but no flash.
>
> Am I missing something? I've read that any car made previous to 1996
> has the ability to obtain the code with the gas pedal.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lyle

Look at this link for good directions...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...de_Reading.htm

Kyle.

first dead battery, now no radio. code ? what code ? Scott Audi 12 January 25th 05 04:07 PM
Ferodo brake pad code for 1999 BMW E39 520i vricardo BMW 0 December 9th 04 02:35 PM
BMW z4 Engine Immobliser/Key Code deletion question Jason Vicinanza BMW 2 October 24th 04 05:48 PM
lost radio code mickt Alfa Romeo 4 October 4th 04 08:23 PM
lost i.c.s code philfromstoke Alfa Romeo 0 May 7th 04 07:25 PM