Heater Core / Electrical Problems (2.3 Sleeper posting)

Old February 12th 05, 01:12 AM
2.3Sleeper

Default Heater Core / Electrical Problems (2.3 Sleeper posting)

Okay, so I paid to have the heater core done. Before I went in, my
blinkers worked. Now they don't. The fuse was replaced, and we replaced
the combo switch as well. Still no blinkers. The hazards do work.

The steering column was dropped straight down, and the right side of
the dash was pulled out. The shop is thinking maybe a ground has come
loose somewhere. Or possibly they pinched a wire.

My question is: Where does the blinker switch ground out? Or how does
it ground out? I would like to fix this myself before having to drop
the car off again for a full day next week.

If I turn my hazards on, then use my turn signal, no matter which way I
select (right or left) the hazards quit working and only the left
blinker flashes. This is very strange.

Any help would be appreciated.

Don Manning

Old February 12th 05, 01:33 AM
CobraJet

In article .com>,
2.3Sleeper > wrote:

> Okay, so I paid to have the heater core done. Before I went in, my
> blinkers worked. Now they don't. The fuse was replaced, and we replaced
> the combo switch as well. Still no blinkers. The hazards do work.
>
> The steering column was dropped straight down, and the right side of
> the dash was pulled out. The shop is thinking maybe a ground has come
> loose somewhere. Or possibly they pinched a wire.
>
> My question is: Where does the blinker switch ground out? Or how does
> it ground out? I would like to fix this myself before having to drop
> the car off again for a full day next week.

There is no ground for blinkers. The turn signal stalk completes the
12v to either right or left blinkers, and the amount of amperage draw
determines the on-of rate throught the flasher unit. This is why
blinker speed up when one of the bubs is out. The only grounds are at
the lights themselves.

The 12v feed up to the column switch has been severed somehow.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old February 12th 05, 02:03 AM
CobraJet

In article >, CobraJet
> wrote:

> In article .com>,
> 2.3Sleeper > wrote:
>
> > Okay, so I paid to have the heater core done. Before I went in, my
> > blinkers worked. Now they don't. The fuse was replaced, and we replaced
> > the combo switch as well. Still no blinkers. The hazards do work.
> >
> > The steering column was dropped straight down, and the right side of
> > the dash was pulled out. The shop is thinking maybe a ground has come
> > loose somewhere. Or possibly they pinched a wire.
> >
> > My question is: Where does the blinker switch ground out? Or how does
> > it ground out? I would like to fix this myself before having to drop
> > the car off again for a full day next week.

> There is no ground for blinkers. The turn signal stalk completes the
> 12v to either right or left blinkers, and the amount of amperage draw
> determines the on-of rate throught the flasher unit. This is why
> blinker speed up when one of the bubs is out. The only grounds are at
> the lights themselves.
>
> The 12v feed up to the column switch has been severed somehow.

The blinker flasher is usually in a clip. The connector may have
pulled out of it when the coulmn was dropped.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old February 12th 05, 02:17 AM
Mike R

In article .com>,
"2.3Sleeper" > wrote:

> Okay, so I paid to have the heater core done. Before I went in, my
> blinkers worked. Now they don't. The fuse was replaced, and we replaced
> the combo switch as well. Still no blinkers. The hazards do work.
>
> The steering column was dropped straight down, and the right side of
> the dash was pulled out. The shop is thinking maybe a ground has come
> loose somewhere. Or possibly they pinched a wire.
>
> My question is: Where does the blinker switch ground out? Or how does
> it ground out? I would like to fix this myself before having to drop
> the car off again for a full day next week.
>
> If I turn my hazards on, then use my turn signal, no matter which way I
> select (right or left) the hazards quit working and only the left
> blinker flashes. This is very strange.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Don Manning

A block diagram would be:

bat->link->ign sw->fuse #5->T/S flash->hazz sw->multi-funct sw->lamps-->gnd.

You may have a power feed or connection issue. Verify fuse #5 is hot by
checking the back-up lamps. Do they illuminate???

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old February 12th 05, 02:24 AM
2.3Sleeper

CobraJet wrote:
> In article >, CobraJet
> > wrote:
>
> > In article .com>,
> > 2.3Sleeper > wrote:
> >
> > > Okay, so I paid to have the heater core done. Before I went in,

my
> > > blinkers worked. Now they don't. The fuse was replaced, and we

replaced
> > > the combo switch as well. Still no blinkers. The hazards do work.
> > >
> > > The steering column was dropped straight down, and the right side

of
> > > the dash was pulled out. The shop is thinking maybe a ground has

come
> > > loose somewhere. Or possibly they pinched a wire.
> > >
> > > My question is: Where does the blinker switch ground out? Or how

does
> > > it ground out? I would like to fix this myself before having to

drop
> > > the car off again for a full day next week.

> > There is no ground for blinkers. The turn signal stalk completes

the
> > 12v to either right or left blinkers, and the amount of amperage

draw
> > determines the on-of rate throught the flasher unit. This is why
> > blinker speed up when one of the bubs is out. The only grounds are

at
> > the lights themselves.
> >
> > The 12v feed up to the column switch has been severed somehow.

> The blinker flasher is usually in a clip. The connector may have
> pulled out of it when the coulmn was dropped.

The flasher was replaced, which would mean that it isn't unplugged.

Don Manning

Old February 12th 05, 02:26 AM
2.3Sleeper

All of the fuses checked good. We went back through the entire fuse box
and checked each one thinking maybe something else could be messed up.

Now, when I first got the car back, the horn and cruise control (same
circuit) where not working also. That fixed with a fuse change and
hasn't messed up yet.

I will verify again when I get home, but I think I will be wasting my
time.

Don Manning

Old February 12th 05, 02:30 AM
2.3Sleeper

I will tear back into it tomorrow. I was kinda leaning on a wire
getting pinched or something. At first, I thought something had to be
wrong because the hazards still worked, but then I remembered they each
have their own flasher and are independent of each other.

I will check tomorrow and see what I can find. Should I pull the combo
switch, disconnect each plug and follow each wire individually? Any
known areas where something might get pinched routinely on one of these
jobs?

Thanks,

Don Manning

Old February 12th 05, 03:40 AM
Mike R

In article .com>,
"2.3Sleeper" > wrote:

> All of the fuses checked good. We went back through the entire fuse box
> and checked each one thinking maybe something else could be messed up.
>
> Now, when I first got the car back, the horn and cruise control (same
> circuit) where not working also. That fixed with a fuse change and
> hasn't messed up yet.

Sounds like the power distribution is set up differently between Fox
years, not surprisingly. What does fuse position #5 power???

--
Mike
93 Cobra

Old February 12th 05, 03:41 AM
Mike R

In article . com>,
"2.3Sleeper" > wrote:

> I will tear back into it tomorrow. I was kinda leaning on a wire
> getting pinched or something. At first, I thought something had to be
> wrong because the hazards still worked, but then I remembered they each
> have their own flasher and are independent of each other.
>
> I will check tomorrow and see what I can find. Should I pull the combo
> switch, disconnect each plug and follow each wire individually? Any
> known areas where something might get pinched routinely on one of these
> jobs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don Manning

Start with something easy. Verify 12 volt power at the T/S flasher input
with a voltmeter or test lamp. Ignition switch should be in the run
position. You can work with the diagram flow mentioned in my other post. I
could give wire color codes, but they may differ between model years.
Another thing would be to remove and short the T/S flasher connector with
a jumper, place the multifunction switch to left or right position, and
with the ignition switch to run, verify the right/left indicator lamp on
the instrument panal to illuminate. Depending on the outcome, you'll know
whether the fault is up or down stream and go from there...

--
Mike
93 Cobra