The Sermons of Bob Hoover

Old February 21st 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Veeduber

Default The Sermons of Bob Hoover

On Feb 21, 7:22 am, rvirgin22 > wrote:

> 9) Would love to get your thoughts, not that I disagree with
> the philosophy of "full-flow" filters, just that I attack the
> "cleanliness belief" from a slightly different perspective.
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ross,

It's your car. You are the Mechanic-in-Charge. You appear to have
found a solution that has worked for 35 years. I strongly suggest you
continue as you have begun.

But for everyone else... :-)

Oil filters became a standard feature on car engines following the
Ford Motor Company's publication (in 1956) of the results of a study
started in 1940, deferred during the War and not completed until
1955. The study, which was printed in the Journal of the Society of
Automotive Engineers showed that a full-flow oil filtration system
resulted in less wear, compared to simply replacing the oil
periodically.

Why this is so becomes pretty obvious in hind-sight and the tale
begins with the fact that in normal use engines generate abrasive
particles, mostly metal wiped from the cam & tappets, but also worn
from the cylinder walls. These particles then circulate through the
engine until they are trapped in the sump when the engine is shut
down, where they are hopefully removed when the oil is changed. But
the tricky bit is the fact the engine re-circulates its oil several
times per minute -- with the Volkswagen, having 2.5 liters of oil in
the sump and the output of the oil pump being approximately 12.25
liters per minute, meaning any abrasive particle is going to passed
through the oil pump about five times a minute. And each time it
does, it's not only going to wear the pump, it has a good chance of
being deposited in a bearing, where it can do some major harm. But
with a full-flow oil filter ALL of the oil coming from the pump must
pass through the filter before any oil is delivered to the engine.
That means those harmful particles see ONLY the oil pump. They are
NEVER sent on to the engine. (The pump is easily replaced, by the
way.)

Not only is this good for your engine, it's good for your pocket-
book :-) Using Ross' thirty-five year span as an example, the cost of
oil & filters would be about $1,155... compared to his $7,280. Had
Ross put the difference into a Postal Savings Account (which only pays
about 3.5%) it still would have earned him more than $10,000 over the
past 35 years.

Then there is the environmental factor. Ross' method requires about
1,208 gallons of lubricating oil, which must not only be purchased but
disposed of. On an early Volkswagen fitted with a full-flow oil
filtration system, you would expect to use only about 90 gallons of
oil over a 35 year period... and about half that amount for a modern,
water-cooled engine, which use oil-change intervals as long as 10,000
miles. Perhaps this isn't a problem in Canada, which has about the
same population as California. Here in southern California Ross'
method would not only be too expensive, it's liable to get you lynched
by the tree-huggers :-)

As for the accumulation of water vapor due to short trips in a cold
climate, Volkswagen offered 'high latitude' packages for its customers
in the frozen north (which to me, is anywhere north of Los
Angeles :-) The high latitude package included an annular shutter for
the blower's intake, chromed valve covers, push-rod tubes & sump
plate, plus a special thermostat and choke coil. With those items in
place the engine reached its normal operating temperature even in sub-
zero climates... or short runs.

The problem with acid build-up is kind of interesting because the
'acid' is produced from combustion products getting into the sump past
the exhaust valve stem and the piston rings... which only happens
because of excessive wear and when the engine is operated below its
normal temperature range. The key word here is 'build-up.' Acids are
a normal by-product of combustion but are not a problem unless they
remain trapped inside of the engine.

So... there's my thoughts, as requested. And thank you for buying the
Sermon file.

-Bob Hoover
Old February 22nd 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_2_]

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:05:39 +0100, Veeduber > wrote:

> [...]

> Angeles :-) The high latitude package included an annular shutter for
> the blower's intake, chromed valve covers, push-rod tubes & sump
> plate, plus a special thermostat and choke coil. With those items in
> place the engine reached its normal operating temperature even in sub-
> zero climates... or short runs.
>
> The problem with acid build-up is kind of interesting because the
> 'acid' is produced from combustion products getting into the sump past
> the exhaust valve stem and the piston rings... which only happens
> because of excessive wear and when the engine is operated below its
> normal temperature range. The key word here is 'build-up.' Acids are
> a normal by-product of combustion but are not a problem unless they
> remain trapped inside of the engine.
>
> So... there's my thoughts, as requested. And thank you for buying the

Just as a byline. Scania Vabis had a V8 in 1916, the first referal( with a
quick search) to an oilfilter(as in published) was a Cyclone type filter
in 1936.
Not bad, eh?

J.

Old December 9th 08, 05:00 AM
72ghiavert 72ghiavert is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeduber View Post
To All:

You may now buy a copy of the so-called sermon files for $9.95 at...

http://www.booklocker.com/books/3340.html

This is an image of the CD created by Ken Hooper, who gets a piece of
the pie :-)

Enjoy.

-Bob Hoover

PS -- If you know anyone who might be interested, please spread the
word.
Mr Hoover, I hope your sermon files still available. I followed the link here and it said that the URL changed. I performed a search on the site for the sermons but was not successful. I am very interested on buying them. Can you help?

OT Bob Hoover jjy VW air cooled 2 December 9th 06 02:03 AM
Sermons [email protected] VW air cooled 18 December 1st 06 05:10 AM
Sermons of Bob Hoover [email protected] VW air cooled 15 August 10th 06 04:08 AM
Hoover bit David VW air cooled 2 November 29th 04 05:06 AM