The Sermons of Bob Hoover

Old February 20th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Veeduber

Default The Sermons of Bob Hoover

On Feb 20, 9:40 am, Robert > wrote:

> I downloaded it last night. It took 15 minutes at 19.2 Kbps.
> Someday, I'm going to get faster internet. I really liked how easy it
> was to search for my topics rather than having to scroll through the
> 817 pages. Thanks for offering at such a low price. I think
> everybody will agree that it is worth a lot more.

I should have mentioned that the file is compressed -- thanks to the
people at Booklocker. (As a marketing guru I'd make a good
mechanic... :-)

Thank you for buying it. I hope you find it useful.

-Bob

Old February 20th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_2_]

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:40:48 +0100, Robert > wrote:

> On Feb 19, 1:26*am, Veeduber > wrote:
>> On Feb 18, 10:28 pm, Robert > wrote:
>>
>> > Can you tell me how big the file is. *I have a very slow dial up
>> > service. *Can we buy a CD and pay shipping?-

>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*
>> -
>>
>> The searchable 817 page .pdf file is about 3Mb. *It is not available
>> on CD.
>>
>> -Bob Hoover

> I downloaded it last night. It took 15 minutes at 19.2 Kbps.

Not to offend, but 19.2Kb ??
That is not even single band ISDN, are you on a wireless connection to
your Isp?

J.

Old February 20th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Robert

On Feb 20, 2:21*pm, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:40:48 +0100, Robert > wrote:

> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------**
> >> -

> >> The searchable 817 page .pdf file is about 3Mb. *It is not available
> >> on CD.

> >> -Bob Hoover

> > I downloaded it last night. *It took 15 minutes at 19.2 Kbps.

> Not to offend, but 19.2Kb ??
> That is not even single band ISDN, are you on a wireless connection to *
> your Isp?
>
> J.
>
> > Someday, I'm going to get faster internet. *I really liked how easy it
> > was to search for my topics rather than having to scroll through the
> > 817 pages. *Thanks for offering at such a low price. *I think
> > everybody will agree that it is worth a lot more. *- Robert

> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/- Hide quoted text -

I live in the country on the planet of Wyoming. My provider says that
my slow connection speed is because of my phone line. I pay almost
$100 a month for just local calls. Getting satelite internet starts
at $50 a month. I've thought about trying DSL but I'm afraid to try
and figure it out. When something goes wrong with my computer, I
almost suffer a stroke. Right now, everything works but it just works
slow.
Old February 20th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_2_]

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:42:00 +0100, Robert > wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2:21*pm, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:

>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------*
>> *

>> > I downloaded it last night. *It took 15 minutes at 19.2 Kbps.

>> Not to offend, but 19.2Kb ??
>> That is not even single band ISDN, are you on a wireless connection to *
>> your Isp?
>>
>> J.
>>
>> > Someday, I'm going to get faster internet. *I really liked how easy it
>> > was to search for my topics rather than having to scroll through the
>> > 817 pages. *Thanks for offering at such a low price. *I think
>> > everybody will agree that it is worth a lot more. *- Robert

>> --
>> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:http://www.opera.com/mail/-

> I live in the country on the planet of Wyoming. My provider says that
> my slow connection speed is because of my phone line. I pay almost
> $100 a month for just local calls. Getting satelite internet starts
> at $50 a month. I've thought about trying DSL but I'm afraid to try
> and figure it out. When something goes wrong with my computer, I
> almost suffer a stroke. Right now, everything works but it just works
> slow.

Your Isp should be able to tell you how far you are from their central by
your address. Given the distance they should again be able to tell you
what speed to expect with Adsl(or Sdsl).

Adsl should be much more stable than your current analogue connection.

J.

Old February 21st 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall Post

Veeduber wrote:
> On Feb 18, 10:28 pm, Robert > wrote:
>

>>Can you tell me how big the file is. I have a very slow dial up
>>service. Can we buy a CD and pay shipping?-

> The searchable 817 page .pdf file is about 3Mb. It is not available
> on CD.
>
> -Bob Hoover

I'm one of the lucky ones who acted in time to buy it in CD form (same number of
pdf pages as the download) from The Bus Depot, located in Pennsylvania. My
Netscape Bookmarks Manager shows that I added their webpage in Dec. 1998 and
last visited the page in Jan. 1999, so that had to be when I bought it. As Bob
has stated, it is longer available on CD.

Some of the archived RAMVA discussions on the Sermons, including why Bob pulled
them from the approved internet site (see first link below), can be found at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...f634b46de43970
from March 1999 and
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...a898b13e7657f9
from December 2001.

Randall
Old February 21st 08, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Cecil

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:37:22 +0000, Tricky >
wrote:

>rvirgin22 wrote:
>> On Feb 18, 7:13 pm, Veeduber > wrote:
>>> To All:
>>>
>>> You may now buy a copy of the so-called sermon files for $9.95 at...
>>>
>>> http://www.booklocker.com/books/3340.html

>> ..
>> ..
>> Bob Hoover
>>
>> 1) I just bought a copy also, and must add to everyone else's
>> "thanks". Good account of your years of experience.
>>
>> 2) I have noted for some time you love of "full-flow filter"
>> system for air-cooled VWs. It is definitely understood that
>> clean oil is the "life blood" of every engine.
>>
>> 3) Just wondering if you still believe it is needed for a crackpot
>> who changes his oil each week, or at 200 miles... whichever
>> comes last.
>>
>> 4) In original format, my 1972 Beetle takes 2 quarts (+).
>> Since this crackpot buys 100 quarts at a time, I pay $ 2/quart.
>>
>> 5) At $ 4 for an oil change, and 1 minute to drop the plug,
>> then 3 minutes to poor in the clean stuff.... I just cannot find
>> any excuse for Not changing it each week.
>>
>> 6) By the way, I bought this 1972 Beetle brand new from the
>> showroom floor, 35 years ago. It still runs beautifully.
>>
>> 7) The "full-flow" does not remove the acid buildup in the oil.
>> The "full-flow" does not remove the water condensation (from
>> those damn short trips in winter at - 10 degrees Fahrenheit).
>>
>> 8) The weekly oil change seems to me the best $ 4 I have
>> ever invested. Since I spend more than $ 20/week for coffee
>> for myself, this crackpot seems to thing that $ 4 is fair for
>> the reliable 35-year-old Beetle.
>>
>> 9) Would love to get your thoughts, not that I disagree with
>> the philosophy of "full-flow" filters, just that I attack the
>> "cleanliness belief" from a slightly different perspective.
>>
>> Ross Virgin
>> Toronto (cold), Canada
>> ..
>> ..

>I think the main issue with aircooled's is that folks DONT change their
>oil / set the gaps etc etc when they should !
>
>well done you, for being so good about it. - but for the average joe -
> you must be able to see the advantages of full flow

Anyhow, who said oil changes and a full flow system are mutually
exclusive?
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm
Old February 21st 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Michael Cecil

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 01:58:19 +0100, "P.J.Berg" >
wrote:

>Just as a byline. Scania Vabis had a V8 in 1916, the first referal( with a
>quick search) to an oilfilter(as in published) was a Cyclone type filter
>in 1936.
>Not bad, eh?
>
>J.

Yay GM! ;P
Old February 21st 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
rvirgin22

On Feb 18, 7:13*pm, Veeduber > wrote:
> To All:
>
> You may now buy a copy of the so-called sermon files for $9.95 at...
>
> http://www.booklocker.com/books/3340.html
>
>> -Bob Hoover

..
..

Old February 21st 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall Post

Veeduber wrote:

> On Feb 18, 10:28 pm, Robert > wrote:
>

>>Can you tell me how big the file is. I have a very slow dial up
>>service. Can we buy a CD and pay shipping?-

> The searchable 817 page .pdf file is about 3Mb. It is not available
> on CD.
>
> -Bob Hoover

I'm one of the lucky ones who acted in time to buy it in CD form (same number of
pdf pages as the download) from The Bus Depot, located in Pennsylvania. My
Netscape Bookmarks Manager shows that I added their webpage in Dec. 1998 and
last visited the page in Jan. 1999, so that had to be when I bought it. As Bob
has stated, it is no longer available on CD.

Old February 21st 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tricky

rvirgin22 wrote:
> On Feb 18, 7:13 pm, Veeduber > wrote:
>> To All:
>>
>> You may now buy a copy of the so-called sermon files for $9.95 at...
>>
>> http://www.booklocker.com/books/3340.html
>>
>>> -Bob Hoover

> ..
> ..
> Bob Hoover
>
> 1) I just bought a copy also, and must add to everyone else's
> "thanks". Good account of your years of experience.
>
> 2) I have noted for some time you love of "full-flow filter"
> system for air-cooled VWs. It is definitely understood that
> clean oil is the "life blood" of every engine.
>
> 3) Just wondering if you still believe it is needed for a crackpot
> who changes his oil each week, or at 200 miles... whichever
> comes last.
>
> 4) In original format, my 1972 Beetle takes 2 quarts (+).
> Since this crackpot buys 100 quarts at a time, I pay $ 2/quart.
>
> 5) At $ 4 for an oil change, and 1 minute to drop the plug,
> then 3 minutes to poor in the clean stuff.... I just cannot find
> any excuse for Not changing it each week.
>
> 6) By the way, I bought this 1972 Beetle brand new from the
> showroom floor, 35 years ago. It still runs beautifully.
>
> 7) The "full-flow" does not remove the acid buildup in the oil.
> The "full-flow" does not remove the water condensation (from
> those damn short trips in winter at - 10 degrees Fahrenheit).
>
> 8) The weekly oil change seems to me the best $ 4 I have
> ever invested. Since I spend more than $ 20/week for coffee
> for myself, this crackpot seems to thing that $ 4 is fair for
> the reliable 35-year-old Beetle.
>
> 9) Would love to get your thoughts, not that I disagree with
> the philosophy of "full-flow" filters, just that I attack the
> "cleanliness belief" from a slightly different perspective.
>
> Ross Virgin
> Toronto (cold), Canada
> ..
> ..

I think the main issue with aircooled's is that folks DONT change their
oil / set the gaps etc etc when they should !

well done you, for being so good about it. - but for the average joe -
you must be able to see the advantages of full flow

Rich

OT Bob Hoover jjy VW air cooled 2 December 9th 06 02:03 AM
Sermons [email protected] VW air cooled 18 December 1st 06 05:10 AM
Sermons of Bob Hoover [email protected] VW air cooled 15 August 10th 06 04:08 AM
Hoover bit David VW air cooled 2 November 29th 04 05:06 AM