V12 - do cylinders fire in pairs or staggered?

Old October 7th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dean

Default V12 - do cylinders fire in pairs or staggered?

I've always wondered this, whether in a V12, all the cylinders fire
one by one or in pairs? Any 750i/S600 owners out there?
Old October 7th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

One cylinder at a time.
Harley Davidson Motorcycles engine cylinders/pistons both fire at the
same time.Unless things have changed lately.
cuhulin

Old October 7th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article
Dean > wrote:

> I've always wondered this, whether in a V12, all the cylinders fire
> one by one or in pairs? Any 750i/S600 owners out there?

What is 720 divided by 12?
Old October 7th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lhead[_2_]

On Oct 6, 7:48*pm, wrote:
> One cylinder at a time.
> Harley Davidson Motorcycles engine cylinders/pistons both fire at the
> same time.Unless things have changed lately.
> cuhulin

Guess what cuhulin? The HD engine fires one cylinder at a time too. If
the HD engine had both cylinders firing at the same time, I would
imagine that catastrophic engine damage would be the result. The HD 45
degree V Twins connecting rods share a common crankpin. The front
cylinder fires, the rear cylinder fires 315 degrees later and the
front cylinder starts the cycle over again 405 degrees later. That's
what accounts for the HD's distinctive sound, shakiness and sounding
like it's out of tune even when running perfectly.
As for the V12, I don't know. You can certainly look up firing orders
for various V12's on the internet.
Old October 7th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I guess I was mistaken.I once saw a program on tv about motorcycles, a
guy said Harley Davidson motorcycle engine pistons both fire at the same
time.I have never owned a Harley Davidson motorcycle before.Well, I
have, but that one was a made in Italy one cylinder Harley Davidson
motorbike.
cuhulin

Old October 7th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
disston

On Oct 6, 11:32*pm, wrote:
> I guess I was mistaken.I once saw a program on tv about motorcycles, a
> guy said Harley Davidson motorcycle engine pistons both fire at the same
> time.I have never owned a Harley Davidson motorcycle before.Well, I
> have, but that one was a made in Italy one cylinder Harley Davidson
> motorbike.
> cuhulin

I think I knew that about Hardley's but I've never owned one. I don't
have a spare room/garage to park it in. So I ride a bike I can park on
the street, 1975 BMW R90/6. Those bikes had a wasted spark ignition.
Altough sometimes I use a substitute electronic ignition that is one
cylinder at a time and timed off the crank, not the cam.

So where do you park a V12 car?
Old October 7th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008, disston wrote:

> So where do you park a V12 car?

Right next to the gas pump.
Old October 7th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Bruder

In article
disston > wrote:

> So where do you park a V12 car?

If it's a modern one, the same place you park any other car. The V12s
being built these days aren't all that much larger, physically, than a
V8 'cause they use smaller pistons. Just from looking at it, you
probably won't be able to tell it's a 12 instead of just a big 8 without
counting plug wires/injectors. (Unless, of course, it has a "V12" brag
molded/stamped/painted on the valve covers or similar, which SHOULD make
it fairly obvious...)

The old 40s/50s vintage 12s, on the other hand, might need an extension
on your garage to get 'em inside and close the door.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old October 7th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

On Oct 6, 4:36 pm, Dean > wrote:
> I've always wondered this, whether in a V12, all the cylinders fire
> one by one or in pairs? Any 750i/S600 owners out there?

Depends.
Here is an article that should help.
http://www.enginehistory.org/fo/FO.htm
HTH