What is the purpose of car tachometer

Old July 15th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Chas Hurst[_1_]

Default What is the purpose of car tachometer

The purpose of the tach is to amuse the driver inbetween cell phone calls.

Old July 15th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

a tachometer is a status symbol. shows the number of complete
revolutions the engine makes each minute it is running.

some use the tach as a shifting guide. And as a gauge to determine at
what rpm / minute vs mph - for best efficiency..also indicates the idle
speed.

Old July 16th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_1_]

"Kevin" > wrote in message

> "Jayprakash" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I want to decide whether to buy a car with tachometer. What is purpose
>> of tachometer? How will I be able to use it?
>>
>> I know that tachometer is used to show engine rpm and that one should
>> not drive in "red rpms". I want to know more than this.
>>
>> Will tachometer help me improve fuel efficiency?
>>

> Deciding to have a tachometer is a bit like deciding weather or not you
> would like to have oil pressure and temperature gages rather than warning
> lights. The tachometer provides information that you can use if you want
> to,
> but certainly isn't necessary to have, unless you plan on using the
> information to monitor you driving habits and conditions. Occasionally
> you
> may find it handy to reassure yourself that the engine is indeed idling at
> the proper rpm even though is sounds a little different for some reason or
> another. It can come in handy as a built in diagnostic tool. For instance,
> if you were checking you A/C pressures and the repair manual said to
> operate
> the engine at 2,000 rpm while taking a reading, you would not have to hook
> up a hand held tachometer because you could just use the one already built
> in to the instrument panel. You could possibly improve you fuel economy by
> driving in a manner that allowed your transmission to up-shift at lower
> rpms. You might do that by listening to the engine to determine
> approximate
> rpms, but having a tachometer would make it easier and more precise.
> Having
> a tachometer can offer a little extra piece of mind and add to the overall
> enjoyment of driving.

Plus, it affords female drivers something to do, as they can watch it
while stopped at traffic lights. Guys don't really need such a diversion,
as we have ba**s to scratch while we wait!!! (Now, I need to attend church
twice tomorrow! Sorry if I offended anyone.) s

Old July 16th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Jayprakash wrote:
> I want to decide whether to buy a car with tachometer. What is purpose
> of tachometer? How will I be able to use it?
>
> I know that tachometer is used to show engine rpm and that one should
> not drive in "red rpms". I want to know more than this.
>
> Will tachometer help me improve fuel efficiency?

For the unknowing: A tach is a useful tool when you have an automatic
when towing. When I go up a hill and the automatic downshifts out of
OD, I can see my RPM and slow down to keep the RPM within a
safe/economical range.

Other uses are diagnostics, economy and shift ranges at different
speeds.

Hank

Old July 16th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

wrote:
> Jayprakash wrote:
> > I want to decide whether to buy a car with tachometer. What is purpose
> > of tachometer? How will I be able to use it?
> >
> > I know that tachometer is used to show engine rpm and that one should
> > not drive in "red rpms". I want to know more than this.
> >
> > Will tachometer help me improve fuel efficiency?

> For the unknowing: A tach is a useful tool when you have an automatic
> when towing. When I go up a hill and the automatic downshifts out of
> OD, I can see my RPM and slow down to keep the RPM within a
> safe/economical range.

The simple car computer present on most modern cars that tracks instant
and average milage would be a far more accurate way of maximizing
milage.