Help. Cant remove paint overspray.

Old September 27th 05, 01:26 PM
dave

Default Help. Cant remove paint overspray.

Got some black Krylon overspray on a white car. Have tried : gasoline
(which removed a little bit of it), carb cleaner, Goof Off, Zaino
ClayBar, plastic knife . Nothing works. Any suggestions for removing
the overspray ? Thanks, Dave.

Old September 27th 05, 07:00 PM
WayneC

dave wrote:
> Got some black Krylon overspray on a white car. Have tried : gasoline
> (which removed a little bit of it), carb cleaner, Goof Off, Zaino
> ClayBar, plastic knife . Nothing works. Any suggestions for removing
> the overspray ? Thanks, Dave.

If it's on a fairly flat surface, rather than in a crevice or concave
panel, and the overspray is on the surface rather than having soaked
into the old paint, you may be able to use a paint nib (paint shaving
file)... I think they are available from Eastwood Automotive, but I
can't seem to find one on their website; here is another site that
offers course and fine nibs, this page shows the fine nib:
http://tinyurl.com/dr338

Be gentle in using it (test it on an old car first to get the feel of
using it), and follow that up with very fine sandpaper and then
polishing compound.

I would be very careful with paint solvents, you could cause more damage
than you fix.
Old September 27th 05, 10:26 PM
Dad

"WayneC" > wrote in message
> dave wrote:
>> Got some black Krylon overspray on a white car. Have tried : gasoline
>> (which removed a little bit of it), carb cleaner, Goof Off, Zaino
>> ClayBar, plastic knife . Nothing works. Any suggestions for removing
>> the overspray ? Thanks, Dave.
>>

> If it's on a fairly flat surface, rather than in a crevice or concave
> panel, and the overspray is on the surface rather than having soaked into
> the old paint, you may be able to use a paint nib (paint shaving file)...
> I think they are available from Eastwood Automotive, but I can't seem to
> find one on their website; here is another site that offers course and
> fine nibs, this page shows the fine nib: http://tinyurl.com/dr338
>
> Be gentle in using it (test it on an old car first to get the feel of
> using it), and follow that up with very fine sandpaper and then polishing
> compound.
>
> I would be very careful with paint solvents, you could cause more damage
> than you fix.

Lacquer thinner, get on, get off, if it starts softening the base paint
stop. Most of the cheap thinners are fast so it will be gone in a few
seconds. Do a small spot and then clean it with water, then do another. Most
paints will take a quick clean except air dried enamel and I haven't seen a
cheap job like that in years. Runs are removed as Wayne is instructing you
and it can work on small overspray but I wouldn't want to do a very large
spot.

--

Life is a sexually transmitted condition that is always fatal.

Old September 28th 05, 01:56 AM
dave

Thank you both for your input . Dave

Old September 28th 05, 04:22 AM
klutz

Got a friend that owns a buffer - and knows how to use it? With a little
rubbing compound, a skilled person can have that overspray off in a
heartbeat. Afterward, it will be the shiniest spot on your car. Maybe
that's good, maybe that ain't so good. You're the best judge.

Old September 28th 05, 05:11 AM
BDragon

"Dad" > wrote in message

> "WayneC" > wrote in message
> > dave wrote:
> >> Got some black Krylon overspray on a white car. Have tried : gasoline
> >> (which removed a little bit of it), carb cleaner, Goof Off, Zaino
> >> ClayBar, plastic knife . Nothing works. Any suggestions for removing
> >> the overspray ? Thanks, Dave.
> >>

> > If it's on a fairly flat surface, rather than in a crevice or concave
> > panel, and the overspray is on the surface rather than having soaked

into
> > the old paint, you may be able to use a paint nib (paint shaving

file)...
> > I think they are available from Eastwood Automotive, but I can't seem to
> > find one on their website; here is another site that offers course and
> > fine nibs, this page shows the fine nib: http://tinyurl.com/dr338
> >
> > Be gentle in using it (test it on an old car first to get the feel of
> > using it), and follow that up with very fine sandpaper and then

polishing
> > compound.
> >
> > I would be very careful with paint solvents, you could cause more damage
> > than you fix.

> Lacquer thinner, get on, get off, if it starts softening the base paint
> stop. Most of the cheap thinners are fast so it will be gone in a few
> seconds. Do a small spot and then clean it with water, then do another.

Most
> paints will take a quick clean except air dried enamel and I haven't seen

> cheap job like that in years. Runs are removed as Wayne is instructing you
> and it can work on small overspray but I wouldn't want to do a very large
> spot.
>
> --
>
> Life is a sexually transmitted condition that is always fatal.

Had white overspray on a dark green paint job. Got the trunk, top, and
hood. Took a while, but eventually got it all off with a clay bar. No
damage, and in fact improved the original paint.