Nissan gas engine to diesel engine conversion

Old July 15th 04, 07:47 PM
Mike O'Barr

Default Nissan gas engine to diesel engine conversion

Hi All,

Long Story short. I have a 1993 Pathfinder (Turrano(?) outside of the
U.S.). The Auto tranny blew and it's going to cost $2400US to fix.
Doing a web/google search for a good used tranny to buy I came across
a company that sells used Nissan "pull out" Diesels (with trannies
still attached) from Japanese cars.

My son and I have been looking into this whole Bio-Diesel/Veggie Oil
deal with diesels and, in fact, I have several co-workers that are
running their Cummings and Powerstrokes on the stuff and doing real
well.

I'm getting about 16 MPG with the V6 gas engine in town and about 21
hiway on a good day. My wife does a job that requires her to drive
between 250 and 300 miles a day with this little bugger and when the
tranny went we felt stuck. We had been looking at a VW Jetta but it's
really smalland the wife doesn't like it and the Passat is too
expensive. She likes the Pathfinder even though it has 190,000 miles
on it.

The engines and trannies these guys are selling have around 40,000
miles on them and the engine AND auto tranny sells, together as one
unit,for neally $1000 LESS than what it was going to cost to rebuild
the existing tranny.
The numbers just made sense to buy the diesel, so I did. Since the
engine I bought, a 2.7 Liter, came out of a Turrano I figured it would
be a fairly easy bolt up affair. Well, I was wrong. The engine mounts
are totally different.

My question is this, has anyone out there done a conversion like the
one I'm attempting (gas to diesel)or know anyone who has? If so, where
did you/they get the mounts or did you/they have to manufacture your
own? If there are mounts that are available where or who should I
contact?

Any help would be appreciated.

Post here or contact me at

Thanks,

Mike
Old July 15th 04, 08:20 PM
Mad Dog

I've done diesel /gas conversions
but not on a Nissan Turrano,
try and locate the frame mounts off the diesel truck.
The holes may be drilled into the crossmember already or maybe not since the
US version did'nt have the diesel option, if you can get the frame mounts
that fit the motor mounts on the diesel then you have the option of
either bolting or welding them to the crossmember.
Now you will probably have tranny
crossmember issues......
Hopefully the slave cylinder is bolted to tranny so adapting the hydraulics
will be easier.
I'm sure the tranny is a top-loader so that should fit ok, output splines on
tranny may be different than the gas version.
DRAIN and FLUSH the fuel tank thoroughly.............
Good Luck and have fun
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10
om...

Old July 18th 04, 12:29 AM
manitou

"Mike O'Barr" > escribió en el mensaje
om...
> Hi All,
>
> Long Story short. I have a 1993 Pathfinder (Turrano(?) outside of the
> U.S.). The Auto tranny blew and it's going to cost $2400US to fix.
> Doing a web/google search for a good used tranny to buy I came across
> a company that sells used Nissan "pull out" Diesels (with trannies
> still attached) from Japanese cars.

Here in Spain the Terrano are very common and is a very reliable 4x4. The
last engine mounted is a 3.0 liter turbodiesel (160HP), and 2.5 Turbo
(125HP) were mounted. The auto transmission are very rare here. I really
don't know if it's the same model, that was sold here also branded as Ford
Explorer. I suposse that it's not problem to buy the engine mounts. Can you
post the URL of the company that sells the engines??

Regards.

1990 520i engine probs Work Hard BMW 3 October 28th 04 05:01 PM
Part time engine knock The Ancient One 4x4 5 July 4th 04 04:04 AM
Cooling Fan??? Zenteren 4x4 28 February 23rd 04 04:38 PM
Engine conversion kit for 1987 Toyota truck Loco 4 X 4 4x4 2 January 2nd 04 04:05 AM