WJ Lense Polishing

Old January 2nd 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default WJ Lense Polishing

I had a 2001 WJ with the most awful scared head lamps.....I didn't know
about lenses polishing till this news group mention that that was an
option......I had a professional detailer working on the side come and
polish my lenses.....they are like new now, clean and clear....what a joy
from the terrible frosted look they had that made my Jeep look awful as well
as dim head lights.....I am not promoting this fellows work but for a good
job, it takes a process of wet sanding and polishing to accomplish this
job.....no easy fix from the auto store goodies.....as he worked, the
fellow said that the stealerships get all the best chemicals to clean and
trim out a vehicle.... it is well worth the 60 dollars I spent to clear up
a terrible blemish that there was no way for me to tackle my self.....

Old January 2nd 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Mindy" > wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Happy Day when you get your baby all bright eyed again aye!

I have polished headlights out and let me tell ya, it's a big job.

how much did he charge you to do it?
Any guarantees?

KJK

:
:

Old January 2nd 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Mindy proclaimed:

> I had a 2001 WJ with the most awful scared head lamps.....I didn't know
> about lenses polishing till this news group mention that that was an
> option......I had a professional detailer working on the side come and
> polish my lenses.....they are like new now, clean and clear....what a joy
> from the terrible frosted look they had that made my Jeep look awful as well
> as dim head lights.....I am not promoting this fellows work but for a good
> job, it takes a process of wet sanding and polishing to accomplish this
> job.....no easy fix from the auto store goodies.....as he worked, the
> fellow said that the stealerships get all the best chemicals to clean and
> trim out a vehicle.... it is well worth the 60 dollars I spent to clear up
> a terrible blemish that there was no way for me to tackle my self.....

The materials can be found at a Home Depot or hobby store. The trick is
in applying them in the correct grit grade and sequence so it neither
takes forever or burns the plastic surface. A Dremel is just a bit
small for something as large as a headlight set unless you have infinite
patience. A good cordless drill, set of grits down to either rouge or
tin oxide, and multiple polishing felts and cottons takes less than an
hour for a both lights. And if it doesn't work out, the lights are
available mail order for less than typical dealer price.
Old January 2nd 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 16:40:52 UTC Marc > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > "Mindy" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > :I had a 2001 WJ with the most awful scared head lamps.....I didn't know
> > : about lenses polishing till this news group mention that that was an
> > : option......I had a professional detailer working on the side come and
> > : polish my lenses.....they are like new now, clean and clear....what a joy
> > : from the terrible frosted look they had that made my Jeep look awful as
> > well
> > : as dim head lights.....I am not promoting this fellows work but for a good
> > : job, it takes a process of wet sanding and polishing to accomplish this
> > : job.....no easy fix from the auto store goodies.....as he worked, the
> > : fellow said that the stealerships get all the best chemicals to clean and
> > : trim out a vehicle.... it is well worth the 60 dollars I spent to clear
> > up
> > : a terrible blemish that there was no way for me to tackle my self.....
> >
> > Happy Day when you get your baby all bright eyed again aye!
> >
> > I have polished headlights out and let me tell ya, it's a big job.
> >
> > how much did he charge you to do it?
> > Any guarantees?

> unfortunately with most polishing jobs like that, it will re-haze over
> much quicker the next time...

Look around for a UV protectant coating. The Air Force uses it on
some of their canopies after polishing to keep them clear but I have
no idea where to even start looking (google??).

--
Will Honea

2003 Pilot & moisture in headlight lense cover? Rocky Honda 4 December 11th 05 04:50 AM
70 stang green blinker lense [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 October 2nd 05 10:23 PM
Polishing black panel on rear of GM cars Pontiac Guy Technology 2 May 30th 05 08:15 PM
polishing tailpipes? N8N Technology 2 February 14th 05 08:02 PM
Need help polishing Stainless Steel GrayMatter Antique cars 1 January 30th 05 05:42 PM