What terminology means a soft ride?

Old November 27th 20, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

Default What terminology means a soft ride?

I don't need a new car now but I will and I want to understand
terminology.

I want a car with soft ride so I will not feel the bumps.

One article refered to base, touring, performance and R/T (or Super
Sport?) suspension.

And I thought that was the key, but the topic went to body roll. I'm
happy if I don't lose control on turns, but that seems unrelated to not
feeling the bumps and that is my goal.

So if those 4 words are not measures of level of soft ride, what do I
look for?

If I end up with harder ride than I like, can it be softened by
replacing the shocks? Do I have to do springs too? (I know about tire
sidewall height, and if the car has 17" wheels, I'll be unlikely to buy
it unless there is nothing else.)

For a short while I had a 2004 Sebring Convertible, and I felt every
bump, every speed bump and hump, like never before. I thought it would
ride like a Lebaron, because it's also "compact" and a convertible, but
it was terrible instead. Fortunately for me, the engine blew after 1
month, and I had to buy another car. Now my world is back to normal.
(I never drove a convertible to be sporty. I like the view and the
breeze on my face.)
Old November 27th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
FromTheRafters

micky explained :
> I don't need a new car now but I will and I want to understand
> terminology.
>
> I want a car with soft ride so I will not feel the bumps.
>
> One article refered to base, touring, performance and R/T (or Super
> Sport?) suspension.
>
> And I thought that was the key, but the topic went to body roll. I'm
> happy if I don't lose control on turns, but that seems unrelated to not
> feeling the bumps and that is my goal.

Is it the bumps as transmitted to you by the seat which concerns you,
or is it the vibrations through the steering wheel?

It will always be a trade-off between comfort and handling no matter
what you do.

> So if those 4 words are not measures of level of soft ride, what do I
> look for?

This might help:

https://www.generalspringkc.com/smoo...ide_s/3147.htm
Old November 27th 20, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Dean Hoffman[_6_]

On 11/27/20 8:02 AM, micky wrote:
> I don't need a new car now but I will and I want to understand
> terminology.
>
> I want a car with soft ride so I will not feel the bumps.
>
> One article refered to base, touring, performance and R/T (or Super
> Sport?) suspension.
>
> And I thought that was the key, but the topic went to body roll. I'm
> happy if I don't lose control on turns, but that seems unrelated to not
> feeling the bumps and that is my goal.
>
> So if those 4 words are not measures of level of soft ride, what do I
> look for?
>

> If I end up with harder ride than I like, can it be softened by
> replacing the shocks? Do I have to do springs too? (I know about tire
> sidewall height, and if the car has 17" wheels, I'll be unlikely to buy
> it unless there is nothing else.)
>

> For a short while I had a 2004 Sebring Convertible, and I felt every
> bump, every speed bump and hump, like never before. I thought it would
> ride like a Lebaron, because it's also "compact" and a convertible, but
> it was terrible instead. Fortunately for me, the engine blew after 1
> month, and I had to buy another car. Now my world is back to normal.
> (I never drove a convertible to be sporty. I like the view and the
> breeze on my face.)

I've been using Autotrader in my search for a pickup. They have
a section for research. The most comfortable vehicles for under $30,000
<https://www.autotrader.com/best-cars/most-comfortable-cars-under-30000>
Consumer Reports is a good source of information. I might not
follow their
advice on a particular subject but they mention things I wouldn't have
thought
about. They give items a score. I think perfect would be 100. They
list several
things like reliability, ride, and noise in their vehicle ratings.
The Honda Ridgeline scored 80, the Jeep Gladiator 65, the Toyota 51
in their
ratings. I didn't realize Honda even made a pickup. The price range
for it is
about $34,000 to $43,000. They will refer one to Truecare. Truecar
wants a
contact number to give more detailed pricing.
A lot of the articles I've seen in other places about pickups
discuss off roading. Uh,huh.
I'd bet that most of the pickups seldom see gravel roads, much less dirt
roads.

Old November 27th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 27 Nov 2020 10:13:21 -0500, Jon Voight
> wrote:

>On 11/27/2020 9:02 AM, micky wrote:
>> I don't need a new car now but I will and I want to understand
>> terminology.
>>
>> I want a car with soft ride so I will not feel the bumps.
>>

>You can't beat an '83 LeBaron Town & Country for style and comfort.

Yes, Jon, I know you liked that car. Cramer thought he was buying from
you but I think it was some other guy witht he same name.
Old November 27th 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 11/27/2020 07:13 AM, Jon Voight wrote:
> On 11/27/2020 9:02 AM, micky wrote:
>> I don't need a new car now but I will and I want to understand
>> terminology.
>>
>> I want a car with soft ride so I will not feel the bumps.

> You can't beat an '83 LeBaron Town & Country for style and comfort.

My 88 Eldorado had a nice unbumpy ride, but it tended to wallow in
mountain driving. I sent it to the wreckers because it tried to kill me
once too often.

Throttle problem, apparently unfixable due to parts no longer being
available even at local wrecking yards. Yes, I had witnesses.
Fortunately it had good brakes.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles because they sometimes
Old November 27th 20, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:02:17 -0500, micky > wrote:

>For a short while I had a 2004 Sebring Convertible, and I felt every
>bump, every speed bump and hump, like never before. I thought it would
>ride like a Lebaron, because it's also "compact" and a convertible, but
>it was terrible instead. Fortunately for me, the engine blew after 1
>month, and I had to buy another car. Now my world is back to normal.
>(I never drove a convertible to be sporty. I like the view and the
>breeze on my face.)

Have you considered a motorcycle?

Old November 27th 20, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Dean Hoffman[_6_]

On 11/27/20 11:46 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:02:17 -0500, micky > wrote:
>
>> For a short while I had a 2004 Sebring Convertible, and I felt every
>> bump, every speed bump and hump, like never before. I thought it would
>> ride like a Lebaron, because it's also "compact" and a convertible, but
>> it was terrible instead. Fortunately for me, the engine blew after 1
>> month, and I had to buy another car. Now my world is back to normal.
>> (I never drove a convertible to be sporty. I like the view and the
>> breeze on my face.)

> Have you considered a motorcycle?

A Honda Gold Wing trike?
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Honda-Gold-Wing/274016449930?hash=item3fcca7358a:g:QvYAAOSwkBteal1 F>

Old November 27th 20, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:24:02 -0800, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>On 11/27/2020 07:13 AM, Jon Voight wrote:
>> On 11/27/2020 9:02 AM, micky wrote:
>>> I don't need a new car now but I will and I want to understand
>>> terminology.
>>>
>>> I want a car with soft ride so I will not feel the bumps.

>> You can't beat an '83 LeBaron Town & Country for style and comfort.

>My 88 Eldorado had a nice unbumpy ride, but it tended to wallow in
>mountain driving. I sent it to the wreckers because it tried to kill me
>once too often.
>
>Throttle problem, apparently unfixable due to parts no longer being
>available even at local wrecking yards. Yes, I had witnesses.
>Fortunately it had good brakes.

There was an Eldorado convertible for sale when I bought my Buick
Centurion, in 1980, but I thought it would make me look too fancy. It
needed repairs to maybe. I sort of wish I'd bought it.

Maybe it would have killed me.
Old November 27th 20, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:29:10 -0500, FromTheRafters
> wrote:

>micky explained :
>> I don't need a new car now but I will and I want to understand
>> terminology.
>>
>> I want a car with soft ride so I will not feel the bumps.
>>
>> One article refered to base, touring, performance and R/T (or Super
>> Sport?) suspension.
>>
>> And I thought that was the key, but the topic went to body roll. I'm
>> happy if I don't lose control on turns, but that seems unrelated to not
>> feeling the bumps and that is my goal.

>Is it the bumps as transmitted to you by the seat which concerns you,
>or is it the vibrations through the steering wheel?

The seat. I've never noticed the steering wheel.

>It will always be a trade-off between comfort and handling no matter
>what you do.

That's okay. I'll give up on handling if I can have comfort.

>> So if those 4 words are not measures of level of soft ride, what do I
>> look for?

>This might help:
>
>https://www.generalspringkc.com/smoo...ide_s/3147.htm

I'm looking at it now.

Old November 28th 20, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 11/27/2020 10:11 AM, micky wrote:
> In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:24:02 -0800, The Real Bev
> > wrote:

>>> You can't beat an '83 LeBaron Town & Country for style and comfort.

>>My 88 Eldorado had a nice unbumpy ride, but it tended to wallow in
>>mountain driving. I sent it to the wreckers because it tried to kill me
>>once too often.
>>
>>Throttle problem, apparently unfixable due to parts no longer being
>>available even at local wrecking yards. Yes, I had witnesses.
>>Fortunately it had good brakes.

> There was an Eldorado convertible for sale when I bought my Buick
> Centurion, in 1980, but I thought it would make me look too fancy. It
> needed repairs to maybe. I sort of wish I'd bought it.
>
> Maybe it would have killed me.

Maybe it was a REAL throttle in 1980... I'll never buy another GM
product or even accept one as a gift. I wish my mom had asked me before
buying it, I would have told her to get a Lexus or something.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The last thing you want is for somebody to commit suicide