polishing tailpipes?

Old February 14th 05, 03:17 PM
N8N

Default polishing tailpipes?

Hi all,

considering buying a new exhaust for my project car, and the guy that
makes the pipes will bend them in stainless for me. I'm considering
polishing the tailpipes rather than using chrome tips, has anyone done
this before?

I'm thinking use the DA for initial smoothing and then wet sand with
progressively finer grades of sandpaper, then finish with the polish.
Is there an easier way to do this? Any tips? (pun intended)

thanks,

nate

Old February 14th 05, 03:57 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, N8N wrote:

> considering buying a new exhaust for my project car, and the guy that
> makes the pipes will bend them in stainless for me. I'm considering
> polishing the tailpipes rather than using chrome tips, has anyone done
> this before?

Type 304 stainless will polish nicely. Type 409...kinda won't. So find out
what your guy intends to use.

Old February 14th 05, 08:02 PM
N8N

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, N8N wrote:
>
> > considering buying a new exhaust for my project car, and the guy

that
> > makes the pipes will bend them in stainless for me. I'm

considering
> > polishing the tailpipes rather than using chrome tips, has anyone

done
> > this before?

> Type 304 stainless will polish nicely. Type 409...kinda won't. So

find out
> what your guy intends to use.

I believe it is 304, I know it is some alloy that can be polished.
Last time I saw him at a car show he was showing me some repro Avanti
exhaust tips that he made by just necking down some large diameter
exhaust tubing and they had a nice shine to them. I actually liked
them better than the "correct" ones made from two pieces of mild steel
welded together and then chromed.

nate