Minivan heaven

Old December 22nd 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Minivan heaven

Well, the 96 Grand Voyager that I've posted about here over the years
met its demise last night due to a drunk driver that tried to do a
u-turn on a busy two-lane highway just as I was passing by. I probably
was going 45 MPH still at impact and swerved hard left, but couldn't
quit get past him. So, at 178,500 miles, the van will go to that great
graveyard in the sky.

I've always been a believer in seat belts and always use them. I've
been skeptical of air bags, but no more. I'm not a believer. My 8
year-old son was in the pax seat and the airbag likely saved him from
serious injury. He did get some minor airbag rash and got an abrasion
on his cornea from the bag, but nothing that won't heal in a week or so.
My only injuries were to my hands from the impact on the steering
wheel, and a slight bump on my right knee. Very minor given the impact.

The vehicle driven by the drunk was also a minivan, 97 Caravan, so the
vehicles were similar size and weight.

I was impressed at how well my GV held up. The pax side front took the
hit and the pax door jambed, but I was able to pull it open from the
outside. The pax compartment remained completely intact. We both got
out and walked away, my son with a bloody nose and puncture to his hand
from a toy arrow he was holding at impact.

I don't think my face even contacted the airbag as I have no abrasions
at all and my glasses weren't even broken. They were hanging on one ear
when we finally came to a stop. I always kept the seat all of the way
back and the belt cinched up tight so I believe the airbag didn't do
much for me, as the belt did its thing. However, my son likely was
helped by the airbag and, in any event, not hurt much by it. I used to
look for cars that didn't have airbags, but no more. I believe they are
a useful addition to a complete crash protection package, but I still
think that seat belts and a rigid pax compartment are THEE essential
elements. The minivan seems to have both.

Matt
Old December 22nd 05, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Matt Whiting wrote:

> Well, the 96 Grand Voyager that I've posted about here over the years
> met its demise last night due to a drunk driver that tried to do a
> u-turn on a busy two-lane highway just as I was passing by. I probably
> was going 45 MPH still at impact and swerved hard left, but couldn't
> quit get past him. So, at 178,500 miles, the van will go to that great
> graveyard in the sky.

I should have added that it goes to the graveyard with its original
elecronic four-speed automatic never having been touched other than oil
and filter changes.

Matt
Old December 23rd 05, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Matt Whiting wrote:

> Well, the 96 Grand Voyager that I've posted about here over the years
> met its demise last night due to a drunk driver that tried to do a
> u-turn on a busy two-lane highway just as I was passing by. I probably
> was going 45 MPH still at impact and swerved hard left, but couldn't
> quit get past him. So, at 178,500 miles, the van will go to that great
> graveyard in the sky.
>
> I've always been a believer in seat belts and always use them. I've
> been skeptical of air bags, but no more. I'm not a believer. My 8
> year-old son was in the pax seat and the airbag likely saved him from
> serious injury. He did get some minor airbag rash and got an abrasion
> on his cornea from the bag, but nothing that won't heal in a week or so.
> My only injuries were to my hands from the impact on the steering
> wheel, and a slight bump on my right knee. Very minor given the impact.
>
> The vehicle driven by the drunk was also a minivan, 97 Caravan, so the
> vehicles were similar size and weight.
>
> I was impressed at how well my GV held up. The pax side front took the
> hit and the pax door jambed, but I was able to pull it open from the
> outside. The pax compartment remained completely intact. We both got
> out and walked away, my son with a bloody nose and puncture to his hand
> from a toy arrow he was holding at impact.
>
> I don't think my face even contacted the airbag as I have no abrasions
> at all and my glasses weren't even broken. They were hanging on one ear
> when we finally came to a stop. I always kept the seat all of the way
> back and the belt cinched up tight so I believe the airbag didn't do
> much for me, as the belt did its thing. However, my son likely was
> helped by the airbag and, in any event, not hurt much by it. I used to
> look for cars that didn't have airbags, but no more. I believe they are
> a useful addition to a complete crash protection package, but I still
> think that seat belts and a rigid pax compartment are THEE essential
> elements. The minivan seems to have both.
>

> Matt

Hi Matt...

Thank goodness your son is unharmed.

A question, if I may? Around here all the youngsters ride in the back
seat, even if they're the only passenger, to protect them from having
an airbag "punch" them in the face (instead of the chest).

May I ask the general physical size of your 8 year old, and if average
for his age how this didn't happen to him?

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

Old December 23rd 05, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> Hi Matt...
>
> Thank goodness your son is unharmed.
>
> A question, if I may? Around here all the youngsters ride in the back
> seat, even if they're the only passenger, to protect them from having
> an airbag "punch" them in the face (instead of the chest).

I didn't let him ride in the front until just recently. I forget the
exact laws here, but I think it is a combination of age and weight, and
I drive in two states frequently (PA and NY) and I'm not 100% sure if
they are even the same, however, he is legal in both states. This was
only his 3rd or 4th trip in the front ... figures, eh?

> May I ask the general physical size of your 8 year old, and if average
> for his age how this didn't happen to him?

He's pretty good sized for his age. He's 90 lbs. and probably close to
5' tall. I haven't checked his height lately so this is a guesstimate.

The airbag clearly contacted his face, but no worse than most adults
from what the emergency room staff said. His injuries were exactly what
they expected to see. I thought a lot over the last day about if he'd
have been better off in the middle seat, but I really don't think so.
When he's back there he's always loosening up his seat belt, sitting
sideways, laying down, etc., and it is hard to keep an eye on him when
I'm driving, especially at night which it nearly was when the accident
occurred (5:15 PM in upstate NY is pretty dark this time of year).
Being in the front, I can keep track of him and I'd tightened his belt
down before we hit the road as he always leaves it way too loose.

I really don't think he would have faired much better in the back as
he'd have likely hit the front seat with his head and may well have had
neck injuries. The air bag injuries are very minor by comparison.

The ambulance crew treated him as though he had neck injuries. The neck
braced him, back boarded him and put him on oxygen. Scared my wife half
to death when she walked into the ER! I knew he was fine as I'd seen
him before he was all dressed up, but he did look pretty bad on the
table in the ER.

> Thanks, and take care.

I'm trying! :-)

Matt
Old December 23rd 05, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Don't forget the tetnus shot for the puncture wound.

Old December 23rd 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Art wrote:
> Don't forget the tetnus shot for the puncture wound.

His last one was three years ago and the ER doc said anything with 5
years was fine. The doc couldn't believe it when he asked and my wife
pulled my son's immunization record from her pocketbook! She carries
all of the kid's records in her pocket book. It is scary in there ... I
won't go there! :-)

We think we pieced together what the wound was from. He was playing
with a plastic toy bow and arrow right before the impact, but had laid
it in his lap, at least that is his last recollection. There is a red
welt on his stomach shaped exactly like the suction cup on the mangled
arrow and the puncture is a perfect circle on the back of his hand. We
also think we see a little skin and blood on the arrow. I'm guessing
the air bag pushed his hand into the nock end of the arrow which them
pushed into his abdomen. Fortunately, it was a flimsy arrow and buckled
in three places before causing serious damage.

Matt
Old December 23rd 05, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Matt Whiting wrote:
> Well, the 96 Grand Voyager that I've posted about here over the years
> met its demise last night due to a drunk driver that tried to do a
> u-turn on a busy two-lane highway just as I was passing by. I probably
> was going 45 MPH still at impact and swerved hard left, but couldn't
> quit get past him. So, at 178,500 miles, the van will go to that great
> graveyard in the sky.
>
> I've always been a believer in seat belts and always use them. I've
> been skeptical of air bags, but no more. I'm not a believer. My 8
> year-old son was in the pax seat and the airbag likely saved him from
> serious injury. He did get some minor airbag rash and got an abrasion
> on his cornea from the bag, but nothing that won't heal in a week or so.
> My only injuries were to my hands from the impact on the steering
> wheel, and a slight bump on my right knee. Very minor given the impact.
>
> The vehicle driven by the drunk was also a minivan, 97 Caravan, so the
> vehicles were similar size and weight.
>
> I was impressed at how well my GV held up. The pax side front took the
> hit and the pax door jambed, but I was able to pull it open from the
> outside. The pax compartment remained completely intact. We both got
> out and walked away, my son with a bloody nose and puncture to his hand
> from a toy arrow he was holding at impact.
>
> I don't think my face even contacted the airbag as I have no abrasions
> at all and my glasses weren't even broken. They were hanging on one ear
> when we finally came to a stop. I always kept the seat all of the way
> back and the belt cinched up tight so I believe the airbag didn't do
> much for me, as the belt did its thing. However, my son likely was
> helped by the airbag and, in any event, not hurt much by it. I used to
> look for cars that didn't have airbags, but no more. I believe they are
> a useful addition to a complete crash protection package, but I still
> think that seat belts and a rigid pax compartment are THEE essential
> elements. The minivan seems to have both.
>

> Matt

I am pleased hear that there were no serious injuries.

It's nice to know that air bags that are 10 years old will deploy as
designed. I have two air bag equipped vehicles ranging from 13 - 15
years, and I wonder if the air bag systems would still work correctly
if needed, and not lose their *readiness* over time.

-Kirk Matheson

Old December 23rd 05, 11:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

'Course I am glad you two got off lightly (what about the other driver??)
and, as regards air bags, I should like to welcome you to the belief system
that most of the rest of the world (outside NA) holds...

DAS

---

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
[...]
but they worked as advertised. They sure

Old December 24th 05, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message

> Well, the 96 Grand Voyager that I've posted about here over the years
> met its demise last night due to a drunk driver that tried to do a
> u-turn on a busy two-lane highway just as I was passing by. I probably
> was going 45 MPH still at impact and swerved hard left, but couldn't
> quit get past him. So, at 178,500 miles, the van will go to that great
> graveyard in the sky.
>
> I've always been a believer in seat belts and always use them. I've
> been skeptical of air bags, but no more. I'm not a believer. My 8
> year-old son was in the pax seat and the airbag likely saved him from
> serious injury.

Matt, you can't post that! Why, your ruining the Christmas of all the
anti-airbag people on this ng! ;-)

I've always maintained that no matter how good you are at buckling up,
you can never insure that everyone in your vehicle does so also.

Glad to hear you didn't ruin your Christmas!

Ted

What's Up With These Minivan Drivers? Scott en Aztlán Driving 14 November 21st 05 02:30 PM
Tricked out minivan Islander Chrysler 1 August 15th 05 10:59 AM
Buying a new minivan Zee Chrysler 0 May 25th 05 05:24 AM
94 Plymouth Voyager minivan = power steering problem N. Nayar Chrysler 4 April 11th 05 09:32 AM
MFFY Sloth in minivan Alexander Rogge Driving 1 March 12th 05 06:20 PM