Want to use Jeep Cherokee as fuel truck???

Old February 21st 05, 05:24 AM
John Harlow

Default Want to use Jeep Cherokee as fuel truck???

Hello,

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I need to shuttle fuel to my boat with
it (20+ gals at a time). Instead of messing with smelly portable gas tanks,
I'm wondering if there's a SAFE way to simply use the jeep's fuel tank.
There is a rollover valve in the tank so I can't just stick a hose down in
it and pump out the fuel.

Has anyone done anything like this / know of a way?

TIA

Old February 21st 05, 07:10 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

"John Harlow" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I need to shuttle fuel to my boat with
> it (20+ gals at a time). Instead of messing with smelly portable gas tanks,
> I'm wondering if there's a SAFE way to simply use the jeep's fuel tank.
> There is a rollover valve in the tank so I can't just stick a hose down in
> it and pump out the fuel.
>
> Has anyone done anything like this / know of a way?

....Is there not a Marina with a dock -- a 76 Station!!!

Old February 21st 05, 01:33 PM
John Harlow

> ...Is there not a Marina with a dock -- a 76 Station!!!

No marinas on this body of water!

Old February 21st 05, 03:11 PM
Steve W.

Not really, a Jeep Cherokee only holds about 22 gallons MAX anyway. Anti
siphon valve makes siphoning useless. Pressure tap off fuel rail won't
work since it would drop the fuel pressure to point where the injectors
won't function, and the engine would have to be running to keep the fuel
pump running. Plus fuel loss around a hot running engine is not a good
thing.

Probably the best solution would be to buy a small trailer and put a
small tank on it. A small transfer pump and your all set. That way your
not carrying 20+ gallons of fuel in the passenger compartment.
Small trailer - 200.00 for a light 4' job. 100 gallon tank with transfer
pump - another 200.00

Burned out fuel pump and tow to shop to have it changed - parts ,labor,
tow bill - 800.00 or more.
Burned up Jeep and insurance company refusing to pay because it was your
fault......
Running out of gas in the Jeep because you pumped the tank too far
down - Depends on how many "friends" find out and how far the walk to
gas station is.....

--
Steve Williams

Old February 21st 05, 03:29 PM
John Harlow

> Probably the best solution would be to buy a small trailer and put a
> small tank on it. A small transfer pump and your all set. That way
> your
> not carrying 20+ gallons of fuel in the passenger compartment.
> Small trailer - 200.00 for a light 4' job. 100 gallon tank with
> transfer
> pump - another 200.00

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the input. I haven't found a 100 gallon tank with transfer pump
anywhere near $200. Closest I've seen is a 23 gallon "gas dolly" with hand
crank pump for about $350. It looks like it'd be about $1100 to buy a 100
gallon tank and pump, and another couple hundred for a trailer, plus I'd
have to park the trailer somewhere and secure it, and shuttle it back and
forth to the gas station - I may as well tow the boat to the gas station!

The idea is to put an additional tap into my gas tank, not to use the
existing jeep fuel pump. Since I only live about 5 miles from a gas station,
I could make sure the pickup is above the 2-3 gallon line, assuring I'd
always have enough gas leftover to make it back to the gas station. I''ve
taken the tank off before to replace the sending unit; it's not a tough job.

Old February 21st 05, 07:18 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Steve W. wrote:

> Not really, a Jeep Cherokee only holds about 22 gallons MAX anyway. Anti
> siphon valve makes siphoning useless. Pressure tap off fuel rail won't
> work since it would drop the fuel pressure to point where the injectors
> won't function,

Unless what's done is an auxiliary power circuit to the fuel pump relay so
the fuel pump can be operated with the engine off.

Not saying it's a good idea, just saying it's possible.
Old February 22nd 05, 04:51 AM
Steve W.

Delta steel tanks
50 gallon square - 197.00
100 gallon rect. - 280.00
95 gallon L - 318.23

12 volt GPI pump - 15 gpm rated - 184.98
Rotary hand pump - 141.42
Siphon hose - 15.00 for one with a squeeze bulb.

These are Tractor Supply Company Prices
Other places have some cheaper.
55 gallon drum - about 25 bucks used. 50 new.

Tapping the fuel tank on your vehicle is NOT a good idea. If it EVER
leaks or you have an accident and it leaks your insurance company is
going to rake you over the coals.

Just my opinion though.
--
Steve

Old February 22nd 05, 07:52 PM
John Harlow

Steve W. wrote:
> Delta steel tanks
> 50 gallon square - 197.00
> 100 gallon rect. - 280.00
> 95 gallon L - 318.23

Interesting - do you have a link to these? I couldn't find them. The
Tractor Supply site I found doesn't seem to list *any* prices.

> 12 volt GPI pump - 15 gpm rated - 184.98
> Rotary hand pump - 141.42
> Siphon hose - 15.00 for one with a squeeze bulb.
>
> These are Tractor Supply Company Prices
> Other places have some cheaper.
> 55 gallon drum - about 25 bucks used. 50 new.

I just scored a 20gpm 12v pump off Ebay for $125. I'm at least part way
there

Once again the issue is storage, and if I have to shuttle a tank on a
trailer it might as well be the whole boat!

Old February 23rd 05, 04:13 AM
Steve W.

Prices are out of the 2004 catalog I have in front of me. Says they are
normal stock. ( I know the two local TSC stores in my area have them in
stock )

50 gallon is # 08-28000
100 gal. is #08-28018
95 gal. is #08-28181
36 gallon vertical is #01-85062

The 50 gallon would fit in the back of the Cherokee easily. it is 23 1/4
x 24 x 23 1/4 , Weighs 88 pounds empty. Full it should be about 400
pounds. If you have a good hitch on the back you could actually use one
of those add on carriers instead of a trailer.

--
Steve Williams

Old February 23rd 05, 02:28 PM
John Harlow

Steve W. wrote:
> Prices are out of the 2004 catalog I have in front of me. Says they
> are
> normal stock. ( I know the two local TSC stores in my area have them
> in
> stock )
>
> 50 gallon is # 08-28000
> 100 gal. is #08-28018
> 95 gal. is #08-28181
> 36 gallon vertical is #01-85062
>
> The 50 gallon would fit in the back of the Cherokee easily. it is 23
> 1/4
> x 24 x 23 1/4 , Weighs 88 pounds empty. Full it should be about 400
> pounds. If you have a good hitch on the back you could actually use
> one
> of those add on carriers instead of a trailer.

Thanks for looking those up; I do have one of those carriers for the back.
However, I'd feel safer putting a tap in the tank than riding around wih 50
gallons of gas hanging off the rear though!